🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

On 2/2/2020 at 1:18 AM, RyanSz said:

Yeah it was confirmed during the film of Hobbs & Shaw that at least the Rock wouldn't be appearing in this film, Statham hasn't been confirmed or denied so far. I did get a nice chill at the reveal at the end of the trailer, but that along with the reveal that John Cena is apparently Dom's brother, this series has gone from over the top superhero film to soap opera. Also after revealing that somehow Han has been alive and just been hiding out for apparently years, I have to assume that they approached Gal Gadot into coming back as well but were unable to get her because she was filming Wonder Woman 1984, because if two of the three big "deaths" at the end of Fast 6 have now been proven to have not happened, then she should most definitely still be alive.

I was avoiding the trailer for spoilers but since friends, and now the minisode, have ruined that for me, I watched the Fast 9 trailer.

In theory, I'm fine with Han coming back. If Michelle Rodriguez can die (she died in 4 right) then come back, it's no less ridiculous. I think it's weird that a person so dedicated to family never mentioned a brother. I'm even fine with that because Dom's family isn't necessarily blood and that's perfectly normal.

What worries me about these revelations is the writer isn't Chris Morgan. As ridiculous as this series gets, he has been the writer since Tokyo Drift. He's been able to walk the line between awesome and stupid that miraculously works somehow. I don't know if someone else can do that with these characters.

I haven't followed the behind the scenes of this but I kind of wonder if Vin didn't have something to do with Chris Morgan leaving. It looks like Morgan is writing other stuff and maybe he's just busy. So, I'm just speculating.

On 2/7/2020 at 7:44 AM, grudlian. said:

I was avoiding the trailer for spoilers but since friends, and now the minisode, have ruined that for me, I watched the Fast 9 trailer.

In theory, I'm fine with Han coming back. If Michelle Rodriguez can die (she died in 4 right) then come back, it's no less ridiculous. I think it's weird that a person so dedicated to family never mentioned a brother. I'm even fine with that because Dom's family isn't necessarily blood and that's perfectly normal.

What worries me about these revelations is the writer isn't Chris Morgan. As ridiculous as this series gets, he has been the writer since Tokyo Drift. He's been able to walk the line between awesome and stupid that miraculously works somehow. I don't know if someone else can do that with these characters.

I haven't followed the behind the scenes of this but I kind of wonder if Vin didn't have something to do with Chris Morgan leaving. It looks like Morgan is writing other stuff and maybe he's just busy. So, I'm just speculating.

I'm okay with Han being back so long as it can be explained coherently, but it also can end up horrible as it was clear they were answering to the hashtag of "justice for Han" that came about in the last movie, as doing this is a mixed bag of success in terms of fan service, and hopefully they ask why the fuck he wasn't there helping out in the last couple films. With Morgan not being the writer this time around, I wonder if it's a case of "fuck where do I go from here," because at this point the only thing left for them to do in these films is go into space, time travel, or have their cars form a Megazord. I looked at his IMDB and he isn't bogged down with a bunch of screenplays, just the next Conan film and the announced Bride of Frankenstein movie, though with Universal's Dark Universe collapsing after The Mummy fizzled, that may be a while off.

This seems like another candidate for HDTGM.  Gerard Butler vs. a comet.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DrGuts1003 said:

GREEEEEENNNNNNLLLLAAAAANNNNDDDD!

• Like 2

On 6/25/2020 at 10:01 AM, DrGuts1003 said:

I think this was funded by Greenland’s tourism board.

• Haha 1

On 7/3/2020 at 6:13 PM, GrahamS. said:

I think this was funded by Greenland’s tourism board.

He was paid in vodka and dried herring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, theworstbuddhist said:

As a fan of the original comic series and the recent Legion series on FX, I am looking forward to the release of The New Mutants. Will it finally come out next month? Who can say. https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3624655/watch-opening-scene-new-mutants-plus-wild-new-trailer/

At this point I think they are just hoping to release it to try and make any kind of money off it. To me it's sort of like what Monster Trucks was a couple years ago where one studio started making a film and then it just got handed off to one owner after another who did reshoots and caused the budget to balloon to where it could no way make a profit. I'm interested in seeing it as well, but after the last mutant film, I'm not having high hopes for it.

On 7/24/2020 at 8:01 PM, RyanSz said:

At this point I think they are just hoping to release it to try and make any kind of money off it. To me it's sort of like what Monster Trucks was a couple years ago where one studio started making a film and then it just got handed off to one owner after another who did reshoots and caused the budget to balloon to where it could no way make a profit. I'm interested in seeing it as well, but after the last mutant film, I'm not having high hopes for it.

IIRC @Cameron H. likes Monster Trucks so there's hope.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

IIRC @Cameron H. likes Monster Trucks so there's hope.

Best movie ever

• Like 1

Ignore Joe Manganiello giving off serious Tick-Tock Man vibes here and tell me if that's the actual Paul Scheer at 00:34?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, DanEngler said:

Ignore Joe Manganiello giving off serious Tick-Tock Man vibes here and tell me if that's the actual Paul Scheer at 00:34?

Looks an awful lot like him but he's not listed on IMDb, so...I don't know

• Like 1

Yeah, but that doesn't look like a complete cast list since the are only 11 people. None of those people look like the guy in the trailer. I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Joe Manganiello's character is named Max Fist.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Yeah, but that doesn't look like a complete cast list since the are only 11 people. None of those people look like the guy in the trailer. I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Joe Manganiello's character is named Max Fist.

I suspect it is him (which is really cool), I just meant I couldn’t confirm it 100%. Even before he appeared on screen, as soon as I saw that it was from the people who made Mandy, I was like, “Oh, yeah, it’s probably him.”

• Like 1

I suspect it's him as well and the full cast list just hasn't been revealed or uploaded yet that happens all the time with movies months away from release.

• Like 2

Definitely looks like him and even after reading press releases they aren't announcing much in the way of the cast yet, though I am interested in how it is a dark take on the superhero genre with the lead character claiming to be a dimensionally displaced one but no one really believes him.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 12:40 PM, DanEngler said:

When I first used Paul’s text line, i recommended Color Out of Space (which was produced by Mandy’s producers), and he responded, saying he knew about Color and he hinted about a project that he was involved in. At the time, I thought he might be doing working on a special for HDTGM or Unspooled with the producers, but MAYBE he was referring to this movie? Honestly, it was a short text, so who knows, but I’ll add this to the rumor pile!

I'm a little surprised no one has talked about Palm Springs, the new Lonely Island film. It's really, really good. Paul recommended it on his text line recently.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

I'm a little surprised no one has talked about Palm Springs, the new Lonely Island film. It's really, really good. Paul recommended it on his text line recently.

I agree! One of the most entertaining releases I’ve seen this summer. A welcome break from stress.

i would just recommend NOT watching the preview and go into the movie cold.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

1 hour ago, GrahamS. said:

I agree! One of the most entertaining releases I’ve seen this summer. A welcome break from stress.

i would just recommend NOT watching the preview and go into the movie cold.

I'll trepeat and say that I thought Palm Springs was a delight and much better than what it sounded like just by reading the synopsis. 

On a very different register, I saw Relic and it really hit me hard. It's not perfect, it's not horror in the traditional sense ( more high fantasy IMO ), but it handles a very difficult situation in what I thought was a very sensitive and realistic manner. Emily Mortimer ( my bones! ) is as great as ever, and the two other actresses in the film are incredible also.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Omaxem said:

I'll trepeat and say that I thought Palm Springs was a delight and much better than what it sounded like just by reading the synopsis. 

On a very different register, I saw Relic and it really hit me hard. It's not perfect, it's not horror in the traditional sense ( more high fantasy IMO ), but it handles a very difficult situation in what I thought was a very sensitive and realistic manner. Emily Mortimer ( my bones! ) is as great as ever, and the two other actresses in the film are incredible also.

I’ve heard of it. Sounds interesting!

• Like 1

I also enjoyed Palm Springs and how it dealt with the time loop scenario, although I do feel that there could have been a bit more JK Simmons in it. Another I would recommend is You Should Have Left with Kevin Bacon and Amanda Seyfried. In my opinion a very well done take on a haunted house film while adding in a psychological element of guilt following a traumatic incident and how one copes with it. Blumhouse has been doing great with these type of films though I am starting to wonder if they are just using the inside of Jason Blum's own home for sets as this, Invisible Man, Upgrade have very similar interiors at a few points.

• Like 1

Attention movie lovers, there is now a Deep Blue Sea 3 available for rent or (snicker) purchase. Stars the lady who played Alex (Ben's daughter) on Lost. I will probably get high and watch it tonight, not gonna lie.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Attention movie lovers, there is now a Deep Blue Sea 3 available for rent or (snicker) purchase. Stars the lady who played Alex (Ben's daughter) on Lost. I will probably get high and watch it tonight, not gonna lie.

Hey not for nothing, but this movie has a higher Rotten Tomatoes score than both of the first two films combined at 67%. Granted the first film was 60% and the second film is sitting at a luxurious 0%, but it's still higher.