đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—

41 minutes ago, RyanSz said:

Hey not for nothing, but this movie has a higher Rotten Tomatoes score than both of the first two films combined at 67%. Granted the first film was 60% and the second film is sitting at a luxurious 0%, but it's still higher.

I just finished watching it and while I wouldn't say it is better than the first film, it isn't really any worse. It is VERY low budget, made in South Africa apparently, but the script is surprisingly strong and I actually found myself giving a shit about some of the characters and what happens to them. There are even a couple of pleasant surprises. I literally don't remember anything about the second one and I only saw it a month or two ago.

• Like 2

On 8/16/2020 at 8:07 PM, theworstbuddhist said:

I just finished watching it and while I wouldn't say it is better than the first film, it isn't really any worse. It is VERY low budget, made in South Africa apparently, but the script is surprisingly strong and I actually found myself giving a shit about some of the characters and what happens to them. There are even a couple of pleasant surprises. I literally don't remember anything about the second one and I only saw it a month or two ago.

I have seen that on Amazon, I think? Will have to watch it on a night when I don’t want to have to actively think about anything. Which could be very soon!

On 7/30/2020 at 10:04 PM, Omaxem said:

I'll trepeat and say that I thought Palm Springs was a delight and much better than what it sounded like just by reading the synopsis. 

On a very different register, I saw Relic and it really hit me hard. It's not perfect, it's not horror in the traditional sense ( more high fantasy IMO ), but it handles a very difficult situation in what I thought was a very sensitive and realistic manner. Emily Mortimer ( my bones! ) is as great as ever, and the two other actresses in the film are incredible also.

I just watched that the other night. I just got an urge to watch weird art house horror movies and support them onVOD. I watched Relic and I’ll Die Tomorrow, the directorial debut of Amy Seimetz. I liked them both, although they’re not exactly fun COVID-era viewing.

Truth be told, I’m still 1/2 hour from the end of I’ll Die Tomorrow, so I don’t know how it ends yet, but I doubt that it will be happy. Although the film is fucking weird, so who knows?

• Like 1

I know it's not a movie but of all of the announced Marvel shows set for Disney+, this might be the one I am most excited outside of the What If...? cartoon. Looks to be a real nice mix of the Tom King Vision series and Avengers Disassembled/House of M.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RyanSz said:

I know it's not a movie but of all of the announced Marvel shows set for Disney+, this might be the one I am most excited outside of the What If...? cartoon. Looks to be a real nice mix of the Tom King Vision series and Avengers Disassembled/House of M.

Yeah. I love how weird Marvel gets sometimes. The Vision comic series written by King is pretty amazing and dark. Apparently they're also doing a Hawkeye series based on the excellent Fraction/Aja series.

7 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Yeah. I love how weird Marvel gets sometimes. The Vision comic series written by King is pretty amazing and dark. Apparently they're also doing a Hawkeye series based on the excellent Fraction/Aja series.

Yeah they have been looking at Hailee Steinfeld for Kate Bishop but nothing has been confirmed yet, which would be a great choice in the same way as Tatiana Maslany is cast now for She Hulk. So long as they just stick to the Fraction end of the Hawkeye series and stay away from the mediocre at best Jeff Lemire volumes that ended it, it should be great, With Wandavision I am really looking forward to what many fans are assuming is going to be the entry point for bringing the previously Fox owned Marvel characters into the MCU, since Scarlet Witch is supposed to be a big part of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, which seems like the best option for trying to incorporate characters like the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Deadpool into the MCU.

7 hours ago, RyanSz said:

Yeah they have been looking at Hailee Steinfeld for Kate Bishop but nothing has been confirmed yet, which would be a great choice in the same way as Tatiana Maslany is cast now for She Hulk. So long as they just stick to the Fraction end of the Hawkeye series and stay away from the mediocre at best Jeff Lemire volumes that ended it, it should be great, With Wandavision I am really looking forward to what many fans are assuming is going to be the entry point for bringing the previously Fox owned Marvel characters into the MCU, since Scarlet Witch is supposed to be a big part of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, which seems like the best option for trying to incorporate characters like the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Deadpool into the MCU.

Yeah, I’ve read speculation that they will introduce the FF by having them emerge from the multiverse and/or microverse after being in there for one of Reed’s experiments having missed decades of time, the way Ant-Man misses all of “the snap”. Maybe instead of “no more mutants” they have Wanda say “hey, where’s all the mutants?”

So the new trailer for Archenemy is out and it is definitely Paul in the movie, no mistaking his voice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RyanSz said:

So the new trailer for Archenemy is out and it is definitely Paul in the movie, no mistaking his voice.

That's all well and good, but is Jason still in The Dictator?

Totally Not Predator, starring ( ? ) Nicholas Cage, who will either be there for the whole film or like 5 minutes tops.

I'm very interested in seeing this as the reboot was fantastic, the only thing I'm not liking is that they didn't bring back Paul Rudd as Tommy Doyle.

11 hours ago, RyanSz said:

I'm very interested in seeing this as the reboot was fantastic, the only thing I'm not liking is that they didn't bring back Paul Rudd as Tommy Doyle.

I loved the reboot as well. There's no way they follow it up with worthy sequel. I really hoped they would end the series with the reboot but the Halloween franchise always runs itself into the ground until the next reboot.

On 10/30/2020 at 5:54 AM, grudlian. said:

I loved the reboot as well. There's no way they follow it up with worthy sequel. I really hoped they would end the series with the reboot but the Halloween franchise always runs itself into the ground until the next reboot.

See I have high hopes for it as it's still the same creative team writing and directing the two sequels, which should create consistency which has always been the big problem for this franchise. The issues I saw people having with the last one were basically built upon 5 decades of literally hundreds of slashers being released since the original Halloween came out changing what people expect of the genre, to the point I read reviews were calling the last film boring and not enough gore/violence, which is mind-boggling considering it had one of the highest body counts in the entire franchise while the original had a body count of five and most of those were not gory in favor of building dread and terror to also work within the budget. So now that the reboot basically got the build up out of the way and considering this one looks like to be in the same vein as the original Halloween 2 where it takes place immediately after the prior film, I'm hoping this is just ramping up everything that worked in that movie. But again with how much they focused on bringing back actors, props, and effects from the first film, how did they not get Paul Rudd to come back as Tommy, especially after he's said he'd like to play the part again?

2 hours ago, RyanSz said:

See I have high hopes for it as it's still the same creative team writing and directing the two sequels, which should create consistency which has always been the big problem for this franchise. The issues I saw people having with the last one were basically built upon 5 decades of literally hundreds of slashers being released since the original Halloween came out changing what people expect of the genre, to the point I read reviews were calling the last film boring and not enough gore/violence, which is mind-boggling considering it had one of the highest body counts in the entire franchise while the original had a body count of five and most of those were not gory in favor of building dread and terror to also work within the budget. So now that the reboot basically got the build up out of the way and considering this one looks like to be in the same vein as the original Halloween 2 where it takes place immediately after the prior film, I'm hoping this is just ramping up everything that worked in that movie. But again with how much they focused on bringing back actors, props, and effects from the first film, how did they not get Paul Rudd to come back as Tommy, especially after he's said he'd like to play the part again?

The biggest problem facing this new trilogy is where do you even go now?

Laurie alienated herself from her family and society as a whole. She gave up her life for this confrontation. She built a fortress and had plans with every contingency. Even when her estranged daughter sees Laurie was right and they get together, Michael apparently survives? I understand the killer in a slasher can always come back but this one specifically cut out eight movies (10 if you count the Rob Zombie ones) to recalibrate Michael Myers into a human figure again. And he's coming back? After Laurie's lifetime of preparation? It makes Laurie seem dumb if she couldn't kill him. It returns Michael Myers to an unkillable zombie. So what are we even doing?

Consistency of the crew/vision is nice. You're right that the series needed it. I don't see how you raise the stakes or offer something more satisfying than the vindication of 40 years of planning and reuniting the family.

12 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

The biggest problem facing this new trilogy is where do you even go now?

Laurie alienated herself from her family and society as a whole. She gave up her life for this confrontation. She built a fortress and had plans with every contingency. Even when her estranged daughter sees Laurie was right and they get together, Michael apparently survives? I understand the killer in a slasher can always come back but this one specifically cut out eight movies (10 if you count the Rob Zombie ones) to recalibrate Michael Myers into a human figure again. And he's coming back? After Laurie's lifetime of preparation? It makes Laurie seem dumb if she couldn't kill him. It returns Michael Myers to an unkillable zombie. So what are we even doing?

Consistency of the crew/vision is nice. You're right that the series needed it. I don't see how you raise the stakes or offer something more satisfying than the vindication of 40 years of planning and reuniting the family.

I loved how they created a realistic sense of what an actual final girl would be going through after such a traumatic event, which has become a great sub-genre in horror novels and is now starting to segue in film. Since they apparently filmed both films back to back I'm wondering if this whole trilogy is in the same night, which could make it flow a bit smoother as it can create a town known for a dark spot in its past having to deal with it once again decades later. And while Laurie did have her plan set in place, even the best laid plans are never completely without holes, like her son-in-law opening the fortified door which made it easier for Michael to get into the house, or the obsessed doctor doing what he did at a couple different points to kick this whole thing off. I'll be interested to see how they explain Michael's escape from the end of the first film, which will hopefully be better than how his survival was explained for the end's of 4 and 5. And even if this isn't as spectacular as the last one, I can easily say it will still be miles ahead of latter half of the original series, which I just rewatched this last week for my annual horror film binge, and good lord do they not hold up. The only positive that came from those was that they created a new scream queen in Danielle Harris.

7 hours ago, RyanSz said:

I loved how they created a realistic sense of what an actual final girl would be going through after such a traumatic event, which has become a great sub-genre in horror novels and is now starting to segue in film. Since they apparently filmed both films back to back I'm wondering if this whole trilogy is in the same night, which could make it flow a bit smoother as it can create a town known for a dark spot in its past having to deal with it once again decades later. And while Laurie did have her plan set in place, even the best laid plans are never completely without holes, like her son-in-law opening the fortified door which made it easier for Michael to get into the house, or the obsessed doctor doing what he did at a couple different points to kick this whole thing off. I'll be interested to see how they explain Michael's escape from the end of the first film, which will hopefully be better than how his survival was explained for the end's of 4 and 5. And even if this isn't as spectacular as the last one, I can easily say it will still be miles ahead of latter half of the original series, which I just rewatched this last week for my annual horror film binge, and good lord do they not hold up. The only positive that came from those was that they created a new scream queen in Danielle Harris.

No doubt they will improve on 4-6. I rewatched them last October and it's amazing how bad they are. Probably the worst run of movies in the big slasher franchises.

If the next two aren't the same night, they've really messed this up. It's the only way to possibly continue this with it making sense.

I don't see them explaining Michael's escape in any satisfactory way. Set fire in a windowless basement where the exit is blocked off isn't technically impossible, but any explanation I can come up with is that weird retrofitting a solution or turns him into a superhuman again.

I'm also worried how they address his obsession with Laurie. I understand it in the first one. This one is told so well from Laurie's perspective that you don't question it while you watch it. But any analysis makes me wonder if the answer is "don't think about it. He's crazy."

22 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

No doubt they will improve on 4-6. I rewatched them last October and it's amazing how bad they are. Probably the worst run of movies in the big slasher franchises.

If the next two aren't the same night, they've really messed this up. It's the only way to possibly continue this with it making sense.

I don't see them explaining Michael's escape in any satisfactory way. Set fire in a windowless basement where the exit is blocked off isn't technically impossible, but any explanation I can come up with is that weird retrofitting a solution or turns him into a superhuman again.

I'm also worried how they address his obsession with Laurie. I understand it in the first one. This one is told so well from Laurie's perspective that you don't question it while you watch it. But any analysis makes me wonder if the answer is "don't think about it. He's crazy."

Having worked in a prison for almost seven years now, I can attest to the fact that an obsession can develop in people who committed heinous crimes and their victims who got away, so that tracked well for me with this film. As for worst run in slasher franchises, Halloween is bad with 4-6 and then Ressurection, but it's got stiff competition. 

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4-6 which while having creative as hell kills the lore behind who Freddy was grew to such insane heights  it was awful.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre has as muddled a timeline as the Halloween series with most being of the so-bad-they're-good level.

While not technically a slasher, the Hellraiser series really loses steam after the third film.

Leprechaun really only got interesting with the two Hood entries in it.

Surprisingly, the Wrong Turn series is pretty solid for a series that was all straight-to-video/streaming after the first film and even though later entries are mocked nonstop, the Friday the 13th franchise is pretty solid up until Jason Takes Manhattan. The Child's Play franchise is also consistently good outside of the mediocre third film and Seed of Chucky, while the last two are better than they have any reason to be as straight-to-streaming, and were a big part of the renewed interest in the series leading to the remake being made. Also if you're looking for great comedy podcast centered on horror, check out In Voorhees  We Trust with Gourley and Rust. Matt Gourley and Paul spend an episode discussing each Friday the 13th film in detail, though a few episodes have some guests as well. They just started covering the Nightmare series a couple weeks ago and I think they did Halloween through their Patreon.

1 hour ago, RyanSz said:

Having worked in a prison for almost seven years now, I can attest to the fact that an obsession can develop in people who committed heinous crimes and their victims who got away, so that tracked well for me with this film. As for worst run in slasher franchises, Halloween is bad with 4-6 and then Ressurection, but it's got stiff competition. 

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4-6 which while having creative as hell kills the lore behind who Freddy was grew to such insane heights  it was awful.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre has as muddled a timeline as the Halloween series with most being of the so-bad-they're-good level.

While not technically a slasher, the Hellraiser series really loses steam after the third film.

Leprechaun really only got interesting with the two Hood entries in it.

Surprisingly, the Wrong Turn series is pretty solid for a series that was all straight-to-video/streaming after the first film and even though later entries are mocked nonstop, the Friday the 13th franchise is pretty solid up until Jason Takes Manhattan. The Child's Play franchise is also consistently good outside of the mediocre third film and Seed of Chucky, while the last two are better than they have any reason to be as straight-to-streaming, and were a big part of the renewed interest in the series leading to the remake being made. Also if you're looking for great comedy podcast centered on horror, check out In Voorhees  We Trust with Gourley and Rust. Matt Gourley and Paul spend an episode discussing each Friday the 13th film in detail, though a few episodes have some guests as well. They just started covering the Nightmare series a couple weeks ago and I think they did Halloween through their Patreon.

I started watching the Elm Street movies again this year and stopped at 3. I haven't seen 4-6 in almost 20 years and the prospect of seeing them again, I just couldn't do it (but New Nightmare is still a pleasure).

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the one franchise I'm not familiar with. I've seen the original multiple times and the remake but none of the sequels. I've always heard they get very crazy but never got around to them.

I agree completely on Friday the 13th. I watched most of them again this month and I'd say they are all about the same quality (which is kind of mediocre). If you like one, you'll probably like them all through 7.

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

I started watching the Elm Street movies again this year and stopped at 3. I haven't seen 4-6 in almost 20 years and the prospect of seeing them again, I just couldn't do it (but New Nightmare is still a pleasure).

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the one franchise I'm not familiar with. I've seen the original multiple times and the remake but none of the sequels. I've always heard they get very crazy but never got around to them.

I agree completely on Friday the 13th. I watched most of them again this month and I'd say they are all about the same quality (which is kind of mediocre). If you like one, you'll probably like them all through 7.

Yeah the Chainsaw series is probably more notable for the amount of big names or soon to be big names that have been in it, 2 had Dennis Hopper who is batshit insane, 3 had Viggo Mortensen in one of his first roles, 4 definitely needs to be covered by HDTGM as it is beyond next level insane and has Renee Zellwegger and Matthew McConaughey, and the remakes had Jennifer Biel and Jordanna Brewster in them. The remakes are actually pretty good as they were ones to kickstart the horror remake crazy of the early to mid 2000s so they weren't watered down dreck trying to cash in on a known commodity, and even the recent Texas Chainsaw 3D that kind of does what the recent Halloween did by retconning all of the other sequels isn't terrible. The series clearly leaned into the "doesn't have much story so go full crazy gore and jump scare" aspect of slasher and while it works okay the films as a whole are much to write home about.

So I've started watching Archenemy and so far it's pretty good in a grounded attempt and a Neveldine/Taylor gritty superhero movie. Paul comes in around the 30 minute mark and is batshit insane in it, would love to hear about how he developed the character he plays.

• Like 1