🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Nintendo_Jones

Wild at Heart (1990)

I think this is the ultimate How Did This Get Made? movie. It's great to watch, but still has you contemplating that question as you watch the shitty acting and Nic Cage karate moves. It has Nicolas Cage, it has insanity, it has to happen.

Ridiculously over the top. Perfect for the podcast. I think it's on Netflix Instant too...

First of all, I just want to say I created an account on here just so I could tell you guys how much I love your podcast. I've been catching up on all the episodes while driving to and from work, and it's so entertaining that I'm not even mad that Jason spoiled Oldboy for me (but to be fair, that movie came out in like '03, and I actually wouldn't have watched it recently if he didn't bring it up, so I guess thanks for that also).

But almost every time I listen to your show, I can't get one movie out of my mind: Equilibrium. I don't know why exactly, because although I actually enjoy that movie, I know it's not an objectively "good" movie, and there are plenty of ridiculous things to talk about.

The vernacular, the imagery, the "message," the action, the storyline; I have to hear you guys discuss all these things.

I want to hear your reactions to a movie that introduces things like "Gun Kata", a form of martial arts taught to the "Tetragrammaton clerics" which incorporates traditional martial arts, geometry, and guns (I can already hear Paul or Jason not being able to say that without laughing.)

That's the main reason I think it's a good movie to discuss, even though in my opinion it's certainly not a terrible movie. It's just a ridiculous movie that's actually kind of a unique specimen because it has great performances from Christian Bale, Taye Diggs, Emily Watson, etc. and does work as a whole, but barely.

The movie depicts a society where showing any emotion is a crime punishable by death, and possessing anything with artistic merit (even the frame on a mirror in one case I think) can get you locked up and possible burned alive because art causes people to feel things and obviously you don't want to be doing something like feeling emotion around emotion police who ironically seem to be angry most of the time.

And I'd suggest getting a guest who has knowledge of martial arts and/or firearms...if you could find an expert on those things who also happens to be funny.

I want to add that your live episodes are actually my favorite ones to listen to, I think you guys do a good enough job of describing the visual stuff anyway.

My only other recommendation would be a David Lynch movie. I want to hear Jason talk about any of his movies, and I mean LITERALLY any David Lynch movie. To be more specific, I'd say Fire Walk With Me has the most potential because 1.) it's the only one I hate and 2.) Even as a Lynch fan who has seen every Twin Peaks episode, Fire Walk With Me is the only one of his films where I had to ask myself "What the fuck is even happening?"

But Wild At Heart is also a good one. A David Lynch movie starring Nic Cage. I can't think of a movie more suitable for your show than that.

I love wild at heart. it's a fucking master peace that movie. it's also got a kick ass sound track that I also love dearly.

Then again what do I know, I like nice chicks who talk tough and look like they fuck like a bunny.

To be truthful I find HDTGM favors movies that are unintentional disasters. mostly big hollywood mainstream flops. David lynch, David Cronenberg, Terry Gilliam are more like self medicated directors who know they are making crazy, less then mainstream movies. They know what they are doing. so they don't care if you don't like it. it's all part of the art process.

it's sorta like when Andy Warhol would intentionally leave the mistakes on the a canvass as part of the process. The mistakes are done purposely. even if they look bad. now maybe dune was a bit crazy for it's time but it was a ok movie. maybe if David had CGI effects to tell that story it would of been better or maybe like most of the dune books they are books that can't be made into film movies. like Steven Kings The Dark Tower books. Dune wasn't David Lynchs idea but was a studio movie that he got sucked into making after he did The Elephant Man movie. also he got into a fight with the studio and demanded his name be taken of the credits and so it got named Alan Smithee‎. Hollywood does deals with directors to wash each others backs. to get the movie you want you got to do this first for us.

We still go a lot of better Nic Cage off his meds type, high on coke movies yet to do. like Vampires Kiss, and The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans. those are some way more crazy ass movies to watch. but they most likely never get made into a show.

I am going back to making my lunch now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bj-_qLXIWw

That's true, I mean I know that Wild At Heart would be a break from the show's formula in a few ways, but it would also be interesting to hear them talk about it and hear what they think. I don't expect them to do it though, and I'm willing to bet that it's a movie they've already seen and may even like it as much as I do, but it's something I always point to when I hear people say Cage has no good roles. Cage because the great movies he's done outweigh all the terrible ones and even the terrible ones (like Trespass) are often entertaining as hell because of Nic Cage alone (Holy shit, I just realized I'm wearing a Nic Cage shirt as I'm typing this).

And I was gonna suggest Bad Lieutenant too but everyone here beat me to it. I think it's a very underappreciated/overlooked movie.

Most importantly, a "Wild at Heart" episode would bump Cage back up into first place in a tie with Stallone on the HDTGM leaderboard.

• Like 2

God, I watched this film last night because I stumbled upon it at my local video store. IN-FUCKING-SANE. Or "bonkers" as we like to call them. Totally over the top acting and bizarre and jarring choices and musical cues. Man, I hope they cover it some day.

Sign in to follow this