🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 148.5 - Minisode 148.5

What is shirt cocking? Do people jerk it to Shrek? Paul gets into this and more as he opens up the Explanation Hope Line and goes through Corrections and Omissions for Vampire’s Kiss. The Movie Bitches review The Accountant and you’ll hear about the virtual reality world we will enter in the movie we cover next week! This episode is brought to you by Squarespace.

Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisgetmade.bigcartel.com

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

Paul is in the new Nicolas Cage film “Army of One” available on VOD.

Paul’s new comedy Filthy Preppy Teen$ is now avail on the FullScreen and you can see June and Paul in their old show NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. Paul also appears on Fresh off the Boat on ABC.

June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

This should be a fantastic episode. What's interesting about this is that during the Maxmimum Overdrive episode one of the audience members incorrectly stated that that movie was based on a three page short story by Stephen King, when it was actually about twenty-five which allowed for it to be fleshed out enough to create a basic plot for the movie. THIS is the movie based on the three page King short story and because there was no real story in it outside of a guy being killed by a weird lawnmower service that he hired, the screenwriters for this movie went completely off the rails in making a storyline. It was so bad that King sued to get his name taken off the posters and the title of the movie was changed to just "The Lawnmower Man" and not "Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man," which now think about that in concern to some of the other movie adaptations based on his work and you'll realize how bad this movie is.

• Like 3

Fuck YES!!!! I have seen this movie SO many times as a kid. I haven't seen it in forever, but just like Over The Top and Secret of the Ooze, when they do a movie I saw a gajillion times as a kid I always end up loving it that much more.

THIS is the movie based on the three page King short story and because there was no real story in it outside of a guy being killed by a weird lawnmower service that he hired, the screenwriters for this movie went completely off the rails in making a storyline. It was so bad that King sued to get his name taken off the posters and the title of the movie was changed to just "The Lawnmower Man" and not "Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man," which now think about that in concern to some of the other movie adaptations based on his work and you'll realize how bad this movie is.

I thought I remembered that! And I've read the short story. They only thing they used was the "birdbath" scene. I thoughed I remembered King's name being attached to it, but couldn't find reference to that on Wikipedia or anywhere else; so I'd begun to assume that they threw the birdbath thing in there because there happened to be a King story with the same title. I'm going to try to re-watch this one for the episode. I can't WAIT!!!!

This should be a doozy. I saw the movie as a kid but probably haven't watched it again for 20 years or so.

On another note, has anyone else noticed that Zouks' comments have been much less pervy the last couple months? Is he ok?

It was so bad that King sued to get his name taken off the posters and the title of the movie was changed to just "The Lawnmower Man" and not "Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man," which now think about that in concern to some of the other movie adaptations based on his work and you'll realize how bad this movie is.

I still take his opinion with a grain of salt because of how much he hated The Shining when I consider that to be one of the greatest movies of all time. Granted I have not read the book so I guess I can't really properly argue that case.

• Like 3

Correct! Although, I'm glad the audience member got it wrong, only because we got to hear Andy Daly reply with, "Stephen King's an asshole!" I haven't seen this movie in a long time. Can't wait to re-watch before the podcast episode airs. I remember seeing Jeff Fahey pop up in "Lost," and saying, "Holy crap - it's the lawnmower man!"

• Like 3

WAIT I JUST FINISHED THE EPISODE

AUSTIN IN MAY!!?!!?!???!!

TEXAS MEETUP I'M CALLING IT RIGHT NOW

• Like 3

Regarding the generous donation in the amount of $360 - it does not mean that the donor is part of the Illuminati; it means that he is Jewish. The Hebrew word for life is "Chai": two letters, Chet and Yud (as in, "L'chaim"). According to the gematria (alphanumeric code), Chet, the 8th letter of the alphabet, is assigned an 8, and Yud, the 10th letter, is a 10. Therefore, "Chai" is 18, and Jews traditionally give monetary gifts in multiples of 18. 36 is Double Chai, and depending on the occasion and the generosity of the donor, people will give gifts of $180 or $360. To life, HDTGM!!

• Like 2

its time to ditch the two doing movie reviews .. please !!!

COME DOWN! I'M GOING!

I was so excited to hear that! Usually, we only get Earwolf stuff during SXSW, and I refuse to go anywhere during that.

• Like 2

COME DOWN! I'M GOING!

I was so excited to hear that! Usually, we only get Earwolf stuff during SXSW, and I refuse to go anywhere during that.

HELL YEAH I'M GOING!

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Oh my god I kind of want to go, but I'm always so poor. Maybe I'll be blessed with some bonus holiday money...

Okay, roommate and I are resolving to save money to go!

• Like 4

I thought I remembered that! And I've read the short story. They only thing they used was the "birdbath" scene. I thoughed I remembered King's name being attached to it, but couldn't find reference to that on Wikipedia or anywhere else; so I'd begun to assume that they threw the birdbath thing in there because there happened to be a King story with the same title. I'm going to try to re-watch this one for the episode. I can't WAIT!!!!

This movie was originally meant to be just called Cyber God, but according to Wikipedia, New Line had the rights to the King story so they decided to cannibalize what they had and rename it and attach King's name in the hopes of getting a bigger draw at the box office, similar to how a lot of video game adaptations of movies are made. While King won his first two lawsuit to have his name removed from the title, New Line basically said "fuck that" and released the home video version with the original name, causing King to sue them for a third time, winning again and getting 10k per day that the name remained and any profits that the movie made until the name was changed, which should have been a pretty penny as this movie was a surprising hit, making three times its budget at the box office.

I still take his opinion with a grain of salt because of how much he hated The Shining when I consider that to be one of the greatest movies of all time. Granted I have not read the book so I guess I can't really properly argue that case.

The book is great too, though the Jack character doesn't start out as a total jerk to his family as he appears in the movie and there were some scenes that were removed because they really couldn't have been done well at that time like the hedge animals that come to life. There were also other changes with the other characters' personalities, namely Wendy and the manager of the hotel. I get why King would be mad on the character changes, especially Wendy who went from a strong independent character to a screeching weakling as played by Shelley Duvall.

I can't wait to hear the hosts talk about what is basically Flowers For Algernon with computers and the fact that this somehow didn't completely kill Brosnan's career, though for a couple years he languished in Hollywood, doing a few TV movies and B-grade crap outside of his role in Mrs. Doubtfire, before finally landing the role of James Bond in Goldeneye and revitalizing his career.

• Like 4

The book is great too, though the Jack character doesn't start out as a total jerk to his family as he appears in the movie and there were some scenes that were removed because they really couldn't have been done well at that time like the hedge animals that come to life. There were also other changes with the other characters' personalities, namely Wendy and the manager of the hotel. I get why King would be mad on the character changes, especially Wendy who went from a strong independent character to a screeching weakling as played by Shelley Duvall.

True story (that I may have mentioned here already) but the last caretaker with the twin girls who murdered his whole family was based on my uncle's boss when he worked at this diner in Estes Park. He grew up there and so of course when The Shining came out it was a big deal to the town that the Stanley Hotel was his inspiration. He told me that the guy was fucking insane and actually kind of scared Stephen King. Then when the book came out he went around the town basically bragging about he was the inspiration for that character (THE ONE THAT MURDERS HIS ENTIRE FAMILY).

Also I'm still blaming Shelly Duvall's characterization on the fact that Kubrick was incredibly abusive to her that entire shoot in order to get her to be more hysterical. Not okay.

• Like 4

This should be a fantastic episode. What's interesting about this is that during the Maxmimum Overdrive episode one of the audience members incorrectly stated that that movie was based on a three page short story by Stephen King, when it was actually about twenty-five which allowed for it to be fleshed out enough to create a basic plot for the movie. THIS is the movie based on the three page King short story and because there was no real story in it outside of a guy being killed by a weird lawnmower service that he hired, the screenwriters for this movie went completely off the rails in making a storyline. It was so bad that King sued to get his name taken off the posters and the title of the movie was changed to just "The Lawnmower Man" and not "Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man," which now think about that in concern to some of the other movie adaptations based on his work and you'll realize how bad this movie is.

But to bring it full circle, it was Maximum Overdrive where a crew member was seriously injured by a malfunctioning lawn mower.

And y'all don't know me, but I live eight hours from Austin, so I'm going too!

• Like 3

Also I'm still blaming Shelly Duvall's characterization on the fact that Kubrick was incredibly abusive to her that entire shoot in order to get her to be more hysterical. Not okay.

How he treated he wasn't the best, but Kurbrick admitted that he rewrote the character that way, like he did with the other characters in the book. What I remember from the interview where he talked about the film and said that for him the plot was the biggest thing that connected with him when he read it, while he felt he could alter the characters to fit the changes that he would make. The Shining is probably the most overt movie that Kubrick ever did, despite the amount of theories created about it since its release, because in the same interview Kubrick is asked the usual big questions that are for this film like about the two Gradys and the photo at the end of the movie. Kubrick actually explains what those mean like how the photo featuring Jack in 1921 shows that the Jack in the movie is his reincarnation. It's actually a pretty good interview on a great movie and worth the read if you have the time.

http://www.webcitation.org/5QSnEvFKT

Kubrick was a perfectionist and famously hard on his actors. I think he took that Hitchcock line about treating them like cattle seriously. In A Clockwork Orange, there's a scene where Malcom McDowell's Alex gets his head dunked in water by two policemen (his old friends, actually). Apparently Kubrick required many, MANY takes of this before he was satisfied. McDowell was basically getting halfway drowned for a couple days straight and ended up catching pneumonia. He hated the director after that, although they made up years later.

The man got results though! The Shining is probably as perfect as a film can be.

Lawnmower Man related trivia: Jenny Wright, who plays the woman Jobe brings home and gets her brain scrambled, is the lead actress in a terrific movie from 1987 by then unknown director Katheryn Bigelow (Point Break, The Hurt Locker) called Near Dark.

jenny-wright1.jpg

The film also starred HDTGM alumni Lance Henriksen and Joshua Miller ("I took the liberty of ironing your homework.") as a gang of vampires on the run.

neardark.jpg

Underrated movie, check it out.

• Like 4

Near Dark is an amazing Vampire Western and you also forgot to mention that the female vampire is the same woman who played John Connor's stepmom in Terminator 2 and Private Vasquez in Aliens.

How he treated he wasn't the best, but Kurbrick admitted that he rewrote the character that way, like he did with the other characters in the book. What I remember from the interview where he talked about the film and said that for him the plot was the biggest thing that connected with him when he read it, while he felt he could alter the characters to fit the changes that he would make. The Shining is probably the most overt movie that Kubrick ever did, despite the amount of theories created about it since its release, because in the same interview Kubrick is asked the usual big questions that are for this film like about the two Gradys and the photo at the end of the movie. Kubrick actually explains what those mean like how the photo featuring Jack in 1921 shows that the Jack in the movie is his reincarnation. It's actually a pretty good interview on a great movie and worth the read if you have the time.

http://www.webcitation.org/5QSnEvFKT

I love Stanley Kubrick's films, and i've maybe watched everyone of his films but Barry Lyndon. but the best story is

. it's about the craziness of fans who find meaningfulness in everything in the film "The Shining" sometimes things that are not clearly there. it's a Documentary about those people. if your a fan of Coast to Coast am then your in for a real treat. The moment when someone talks about the moon landings and Quates Richard C. Hoagland

is going to give any listener of Coast to Coast a shit eating grin on there face.

2371-401x480.jpg

• Like 1

I love Stanley Kubrick's films, and i've maybe watched everyone of his films but Barry Lyndon. but the best story is

. it's about the craziness of fans who find meaningfulness in everything in the film "The Shining" sometimes things that are not clearly there. it's a Documentary about those people. if your a fan of Coast to Coast am then your in for a real treat. The moment when someone talks about the moon landings and Quates Richard C. Hoagland

is going to give any listener of Coast to Coast a shit eating grin on there face.

2371-401x480.jpg

Yeah I watched about 45 minutes of it before I had to turn that level of craziness off. I stopped a little bit after the guy does a frame by frame watch of the clouds in the beginning of the film where he says an image of Kubrick can be seen. When he finally shows the frame and outlines where the face is supposed to be, it comes off as people who see Jesus in their toast.

Sign in to follow this