🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 148.5 - Minisode 148.5

Kubrick was a perfectionist and famously hard on his actors. I think he took that Hitchcock line about treating them like cattle seriously. In A Clockwork Orange, there's a scene where Malcom McDowell's Alex gets his head dunked in water by two policemen (his old friends, actually). Apparently Kubrick required many, MANY takes of this before he was satisfied. McDowell was basically getting halfway drowned for a couple days straight and ended up catching pneumonia. He hated the director after that, although they made up years later.

The man got results though! The Shining is probably as perfect as a film can be.

Lawnmower Man related trivia: Jenny Wright, who plays the woman Jobe brings home and gets her brain scrambled, is the lead actress in a terrific movie from 1987 by then unknown director Katheryn Bigelow (Point Break, The Hurt Locker) called Near Dark.

jenny-wright1.jpg

The film also starred HDTGM alumni Lance Henriksen and Joshua Miller ("I took the liberty of ironing your homework.") as a gang of vampires on the run.

neardark.jpg

Underrated movie, check it out.

love near dark. think we discussed bill paxton stealing the whole move with one ad lib

if you haven't watched it i'll put this is a spoiler cause it's a classic to be seen in context

.. but there's no one watches it without falling for jenny. everyone did a great job in that movie though.

i have recomended lawnmower man to people ever since i saw it as a kid. but after watching again last night i think i owe some people an apology because it is so damn slow ... it's nuts and worth watching but it was a slog .. maybe i was just in the wrong mood or something, lots to talk about though so the episode should be good. i wish june was there so the monkey issue could be raised again .. never checked to see if he got a credit ...

• Like 2

Near Dark is an amazing Vampire Western and you also forgot to mention that the female vampire is the same woman who played John Connor's stepmom in Terminator 2 and Private Vasquez in Aliens.

Yeah, her name is Jenette Goldstein, and she's crazy talented. She was also the "Irish Mommy" in Titanic (the scene of her telling her children a bedtime story as she puts them to bed for the last time is probably one of the best in the film). She was on an episode of I Was There Too, and I absolutely love her to pieces.

• Like 2

Yeah, her name is Jenette Goldstein, and she's crazy talented. She was also the "Irish Mommy" in Titanic (the scene of her telling her children a bedtime story as she puts them to bed for the last time is probably one of the best in the film). She was on an episode of I Was There Too, and I absolutely love her to pieces.

When all y'all were talking about scenes in movies that you cry at every time, I was gonna come in and say that's mine. That fuckin' scene in Titanic where they just show her reading to her children and that old couple, all accepting their fate on that ship. God dammit I can't deal with it.

• Like 3

I won the no-prize! Is it terribly lame for me to mention it?

No man, that's awesome. I'd be super pumped to get a comment on the show, but the stuff I post isn't usually show-worthy. Cameron H. I'm coming for you! ;)

• Like 3

When all y'all were talking about scenes in movies that you cry at every time, I was gonna come in and say that's mine. That fuckin' scene in Titanic where they just show her reading to her children and that old couple, all accepting their fate on that ship. God dammit I can't deal with it.

I just revisited that movie for another podcast. That part and when the band starts playing "Nearer, My God, to Thee" still hit me harder than pretty much anything else in that movie.

• Like 2

SPOILERS FOR PRANCER:

I lose it every time at the end of the movie Prancer when Sam Elliot is telling his daughter that he realized how lonely he would be without her. Don't judge me!

• Like 2

Now forever when I hear of that movie I just think that I would go the Steve Harvey route for survival in that situation.

As for a scene I can't really watch, that is easily the final execution scene in the Green Mile where John Coffey tells them not to put the hood on his head because he's afraid of the dark and I'm like "oh fuck you feels."

• Like 4

WAIT I JUST FINISHED THE EPISODE

AUSTIN IN MAY!!?!!?!???!!

TEXAS MEETUP I'M CALLING IT RIGHT NOW

Me: How about going to Austin in May for my birthday..?

Wife: You want to meet up with your forum friends, don't you?

Me:

1397738607-mayyybe.gif

• Like 7

Correct! Although, I'm glad the audience member got it wrong, only because we got to hear Andy Daly reply with, "Stephen King's an asshole!" I haven't seen this movie in a long time. Can't wait to re-watch before the podcast episode airs. I remember seeing Jeff Fahey pop up in "Lost," and saying, "Holy crap - it's the lawnmower man!"

I need to go back and listen to the Maximum Overdrive episode, but didn't the audience member say he actually read the three-page short story that the movie was supposedly based on?

Me:

1397738607-mayyybe.gif

I hope you made that exact face at her too

• Like 2

Me:

1397738607-mayyybe.gif

My third kid is due in May. Maybe you'll share a birthday. What day is it?

• Like 1

My third kid is due in May. Maybe you'll share a birthday. What day is it?

It's the 20th. I only insist you name the little one after me if he/she is born on that day. Little baby "H." So cute!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

I hope you made that exact face at her too

She already refers to you as my "Internet Wife" since so many of my sentences start, "And then Taylor Anne said..."

• Like 2

I need to go back and listen to the Maximum Overdrive episode, but didn't the audience member say he actually read the three-page short story that the movie was supposedly based on?

He did but he was mistaken, Trucks, the story the movie is based on is about 20-30 pages depending on the edition of Night Shift you are reading. The Lawnmower Man has to be the one he was really thinking of because that is 3 pages long.

• Like 1

It's the 20th. I only insist you name the little one after me if he/she is born on that day. Little baby "H." So cute!

giphy.gif

Why is Sesame Street spelling letters with flying double headed dildos?

• Like 2

She already refers to you as my "Internet Wife" since so many of my sentences start, "And then Taylor Anne said..."

Hey I don't want to push out EllenM who will always be the June to your Paul lol

• Like 1

Why is Sesame Street spelling letters with flying double headed dildos?

Because it's on HBO now.

Hey I don't want to push out EllenM who will always be the June to your Paul lol

Um...I believe my "June" is Elektra Boogaloo.

tumblr_lklezidDB11qav29fo1_r1_500.gif

• Like 2

Man, I have not been here long enough, but this is honestly one of the best forums I've had the pleasure of of posting on in years. Everyone is so cool~!

• Like 7

Um...I believe my "June" is Elektra Boogaloo.

tumblr_lklezidDB11qav29fo1_r1_500.gif

Does that make me the Jason of our group?

• Like 3

Crying scenes: I can't even think about the end of The Fox and The Hound. My brother knows this, and one time he made me cry just by texting me "we'll be together forever". I'll probably cry now if I reread that sentence.

*actually I think it's "best friends forever" but same thing.

• Like 6

Yes, he did. He gave a few details, too. It's one of my favorite HDTGM episodes.

IMHO From what I remember off the top of my head some of the most effective scenes that have made me cry are (In no particular order):

1. In The Land Before Time when the mom dies.

2. Pixar's Up's beginning montage.

3. The final scene of Super (with Rainn Wilson).

4. The final scene of Toy Story 3.

5. In The Theory of Everything when Stephen tells his wife he is going to America.

Man, I have not been here long enough, but this is honestly one of the best forums I've had the pleasure of of posting on in years. Everyone is so cool~!

My feels

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Sign in to follow this