🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 148.5 - Minisode 148.5

Man, I have not been here long enough, but this is honestly one of the best forums I've had the pleasure of of posting on in years. Everyone is so cool~!

This!

• Like 5

IMHO From what I remember off the top of my head some of the most effective scenes that have made me cry are (In no particular order):

1. "Dad? You want to have a catch?" - Field of Dreams

2. "O, Captain, my Captain!" - Dead Poets'

3. Not a movie, but "It's Quiet Uptown" - Hamilton (I'm helpless during this, whether I'm listening to the soundtrack or reading the lyrics or watching the bootleg video)

4. Totally agreed with Maximiliano on 'Up'.

• Like 3

I can't believe Taylor Anne hasn't told us if Fantastic Beasts is any good...I've decided, as of last night, that it might be the movie I'm most excited to see...narrowly edging out Rogue One.

• Like 1

3. Not a movie, but "It's Quiet Uptown" - Hamilton (I'm helpless during this, whether I'm listening to the soundtrack or reading the lyrics or watching the bootleg video)

Every Goddamn time!

I know I have some weird ones, because I cry a lot in movies, but I can't think of them at the moment. I'm only coming up with the end Rudy and Inside Out from start to finish (fucking Bing Bong, man...).

I also want to say the end of Major League, but that can't be right, can it?

• Like 2

I can't believe Taylor Anne hasn't told us if Fantastic Beasts is any good...I've decided, as of last night, that it might be the movie I'm most excited to see...narrowly edging out Rogue One.

I didn't want to ruin anything cause I figured I was the only one who saw it Thursday night lol

BUT IT'S AMAZING AND I LOVED IT WITH THE EXCEPTION OF TWO PARTS THAT I REALLY HATE BUT EVERYTHING ELSE IS SO FUN AND SILLY IN ALL THE RIGHT WAYS AND ALL FOUR OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS ARE PRECIOUS AND I LOVE THEM

Also I saw a screening of Moana last night and it is, in my opinion, the best animated movie Disney has released in over 5 years! It's fucking brilliant in every possible way!

(PS: the first ten minutes of Up make me sob uncontrollably)

• Like 7

IMHO From what I remember off the top of my head some of the most effective scenes that have made me cry are (In no particular order):

1. In The Land Before Time when the mom dies.

2. Pixar's Up's beginning montage.

4. The final scene of Toy Story 3.

Same. I deleted Super and Theory of Everything because I haven't seen them. Also, recently showed my kids NeverEnding Story, and I have cried twice when Artex sinks in the Swamps of Sadness.

• Like 3

I didn't want to ruin anything cause I figured I was the only one who saw it Thursday night lol

BUT IT'S AMAZING AND I LOVED IT WITH THE EXCEPTION OF TWO PARTS THAT I REALLY HATE BUT EVERYTHING ELSE IS SO FUN AND SILLY IN ALL THE RIGHT WAYS AND ALL FOUR OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS ARE PRECIOUS AND I LOVE THEM

Also I saw a screening of Moana last night and it is, in my opinion, the best animated movie Disney has released in over 5 years! It's fucking brilliant in every possible way!

(PS: the first ten minutes of Up make me sob uncontrollably)

Thanks for the heads Up on Moana and FBAWTFT

• Like 2

2 B-B-b-b-boooo-NUuuuuuuuuSSS cry scenes...

At the end of Everybody's Fine when Robert De Niro goes to the art gallery and from the archives the clerk shows him this painting...

something-the-lord-made.jpg

and

When in Furious 7 Ramsey the hacker asks Vin Diesel "Aren't you going to say goodbye?"

• Like 1

I saw it Thursday, too, and I agree! It's delightful. I'm not a big Eddie Redmayne fan, but he's very good as Newt Scamander. My biggest complaint is that I kind of feel like Colin Farrell is wasted in this movie, and I wish he had had a completely different role.

• Like 2

Also, recently showed my kids NeverEnding Story, and I have cried twice when Artex sinks in the Swamps of Sadness.

Oh God. Oh, God. This was the most traumatic movie-based moment of my childhood. Good call.

• Like 2

I also want to say the end of Major League, but that can't be right, can it?

Yes! That Randy Newman song! "Woke up one day, what did I find?..."

As a Blue Jays fan, the whole 'The Indians win it! The Indians win it! Oh my God, the Indians win it!' moment is a bit raw this year, but the memory of Pedro Cerrano, Rick Vaughn, Jake Taylor and the rest defeating Clue Haywood and the Yankees made it somehow okay.

• Like 1

I saw it Thursday, too, and I agree! It's delightful. I'm not a big Eddie Redmayne fan, but he's very good as Newt Scamander. My biggest complaint is that I kind of feel like Colin Farrell is wasted in this movie, and I wish he had had a completely different role.

Oh I disagree! I thought he was fantastic in that part! Maybe I think it's because they had a lot of possible plots going on at once to throw us all off the scent of what was really happening which could be frustrating but I rather liked it.

My biggest complaint is (SERIOUSLY THE BIGGEST SPOILER UNDER THE CUT SO DON'T CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT)

That he ended up being Grindelwald the whole time. I thought the reveal was cool, but I dislike the casting of Johnny Depp sooooooooo much that I was really pissed off that Colin Farrell wasn't going to come back for the sequels. Also the look they gave Depp is so ridiculous that a lot of the adults started laughing when he was revealed. That's one of those hated moments I talked about (the other being the way they portrayed the black woman who was going to execute Tina... That was some racist as fuck shit there)

• Like 2

Oh I disagree! I thought he was fantastic in that part! Maybe I think it's because they had a lot of possible plots going on at once to throw us all off the scent of what was really happening which could be frustrating but I rather liked it.

My biggest complaint is (SERIOUSLY THE BIGGEST SPOILER UNDER THE CUT SO DON'T CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT)

That he ended up being Grindelwald the whole time. I thought the reveal was cool, but I dislike the casting of Johnny Depp sooooooooo much that I was really pissed off that Colin Farrell wasn't going to come back for the sequels. Also the look they gave Depp is so ridiculous that a lot of the adults started laughing when he was revealed. That's one of those hated moments I talked about (the other being the way they portrayed the black woman who was going to execute Tina... That was some racist as fuck shit there)

Oh, don't worry. Unavoidable Internet headlines spoiled that for me awhile ago.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Oh, don't worry. Unavoidable Internet headlines spoiled that for me awhile ago.

What the fuuuuuuuuck!? Who puts the literal end of a movie IN A HEADLINE!?

• Like 3

You've yet to encounter this phenomenon? It seems to happen all the time now. They try to make it like their being real secretive and coy, but anyone with half a brain can usually figure it out. It's like they have a secret they really want to share and accidentally let it "slip." And once the movie has opened? Shit. All bets are off by Sunday. I can't think of a single big budget movie in the past two years that hasn't been blown for me exclusively through headlines.

• Like 3

You've yet to encounter this phenomenon? It seems to happen all the time now. They try to make it like their being real secretive and coy, but anyone with half a brain can usually figure it out. It's like they have a secret they really want to share and accidentally let it "slip." And once the movie has opened? Shit. All bets are off by Sunday. I can't think of a single big budget movie in the past two years that hasn't been blown for me exclusively through headlines.

Definitely not in headline form I haven't! IMDB spoiled the whole "Hawkeye is actually married" thing for me just by posting the fact that Linda was playing Laura Barton. Like you said, anyone with half a brain could figure that out...

• Like 1

That's what I was alluding to, but I was trying to avoid the spoiler side of it. Totally agree, and what you said about Farrell is what I meant by "wasting him."

My best friend was out of town on business and had to miss the season five finale of Game of Thrones. He was super careful to avoid the internet on his way back home. He had a connecting flight from Dallas back to Austin, and he hopped on the WiFi there to check his work email. And the fucking WiFi splash page at Love Field had the mega-huge spoiler from that episode. It's such bullshit.

• Like 4

That's what I was alluding to, but I was trying to avoid the spoiler side of it. Totally agree, and what you said about Farrell is what I meant by "wasting him."

Ah I get it now. Then yes I agree. I didn't think he was wasted in the movie itself, but definitely wasted in this series for sure.

• Like 2

I don't think I've ever asked this yet, but it's fresh on my mind, so I'll go ahead and ask anyway.

What is something you enjoy (e.g. Movie, music, etc.) that you would think would be generally accepted as something objectively good, that the people closest to you in your life just don't like? And, what is wrong with these people?

For example, I am currently watching When Harry Met Sally by myself because my wife absolutely loathes it. I mean, you might as well say you hate sunflowers! What the hell?

She also doesn't like The Beatles, but I understand her issue with them, and I think I've been slowly whittling down her resolve.

• Like 1

We get it, Cameron! You're married, and the rest of us are going to die alone!

Actually, that's a good question, and I'm going to think about it

• Like 4

We get it, Cameron! You're married, and the rest of us are going to die alone!

Actually, that's a good question, and I'm going to think about it

And every night she tells me she loves me. And tells me exactly what about me makes me the world's greatest lover. And reminds me how she would be lost without me before wrapping me in her tender embrace, kissing me tenderly on the forehead, and whispering positive affirmations in my ear as I drift off into the sweet, candied apple Morphean bliss of the truly loved.

• Like 4

And every night she tells me she loves me. And tells me exactly what about me makes me the world's greatest lover. And reminds me how she would be lost without me before wrapping me in her tender embrace, kissing me tenderly on the forehead, and whispering positive affirmations in my ear as I drift off into the sweet, candied apple Morphean bliss of the truly loved.

msg-14050181904386.jpg

• Like 6

TIL Sesame Street's H looks a lot like a spit roast. Wink, wink.

Movie ending that gets me every time is The Iron Giant.

I was going to post a gif of "superman," but I started tearing up, lol.

The most recent movie that wrecked me was Kubo and the Two Strings. I legit sobbed. Laika sure has come a long way since Coraline.

• Like 5

I really enjoyed Fantastic Beasts and am also not the biggest Redmayne fan, though he's really low key in this. I enjoyed Farrell and how he didn't completely chew up scenery with his performance. I will say though that the twist completely surprised me as I was expecting what happened in a later movie as various things had been confirmed for the sequels. I was kind of bummed when reading about the book Fantastic Beasts that Newt and the female lead in the film don't end up together, at least at the time of the Harry Potter novels when he is married with kids to another woman. Also I would have like a bit more of Jon Voight as the newspaper magnate, though I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a bigger part of the next four movies of this series.

Getting back to Lawnmower Man, I just started to rewatch it and I completely forgot about the cold open with the Weapon X monkey who goes on a shooting spree after being stuck in a gyrosphere with a VR headset.

Ryan, you gotta check out Lawnmower Man 2 and tell me what you think/how much beer you had to drink. I know you're on a DLM challenge!

I didn't mention Up because I feel like that is a universally recognized definitely make everyone cry thing.

Another one for me is the Muppet Movie, the very beginning when Kermit sings "Rainbow Connection". The song comes up on iTunes shuffle from time to time, too, and I always get a lump in my throat. It's just such an optimistic, hopeful song that also acknowledges the unknowable nature of life ("Who said that wishes / would be heard and answered?"), it really encapsulates what I loved about the Muppets and Jim Henson as a child. That life is a challenge, but a worthwhile one -- so get your friends together and put on a show!

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this