🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 28 — Did You Miss Me?

The Wolf Den is finally back! In exchange for the several week absence, we have a great episode for you all featuring Jeff Rubin of Collegehumor, Nerd Alert, The Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin Show and more. He explains the complicated (yet awesome) science of "enhanced podcasts" and sheds light on the podcasting community on the east coast. There is an economy lesson stuffed in here as well regarding the expenses and complications of selling tee shirts. Sorry once again for the break, and enjoy!

I was already in love with my Earwolf shirts, but after hearing about the work that goes into getting them out to people, I appreciate them even more. P.S. Any listeners that haven't ordered one, but have thought about it, they are super comfortable and, let's face it, awesome looking. You should pick one up. I may be turning into Jeff, because I'm starting to wear mine a little too often. Well, at least I haven't worn one to a wedding, funeral, or gala event... yet.

I'm with you Julia. I have 5 wearable Earwolf shirts (one is delightfully autographed and thus stays home) so I rarely have to wear anything else (I'm wearing my Enigma Force Five shirt right now). I was just looking at my laundry this weekend and it was pathetic: 5 Earwolf shirts, 2 Maximum Fun shirts, 2 The State shirts, 2 Conan shirts, 2 UCB hoodies, and little to nothing else. God forbid someone think I'm a real live human being with thoughts and feelings that go beyond "Remember that one Mr. Show sketch where they...?"
Also, Jeff Rubin is the best. The episode of his podcast about Legends of the Hidden Temple is a must-hear for people of my age range who worshiped that show growing up (don't pretend like you didn't!).

@Caroline... I'm definitely going to listen to that episode of Jeff's show. Legends of the Hidden Temple is just that... a LEGEND. Plus, I want to know if they address the most frustrating element for fans of that show... watching those kids who couldn't put together the three piece statue in the Shrine of the Silver Monkey. It was only three pieces! HOW COULD YOU FAIL AT THAT?!?

[attachment=4537,96]

THEY DO! THEY DO ADDRESS THAT! It is one of the major points of conversation in the episode! It has to do with how long the head-stick was.

Great Epi Jeff! After listening to Mr. Rubin talk abotu the subjects he covers on his show, I'm definatley going to have to tune in. As soon as he said Degrassi (old school version), I immediately started singing the title song in my head. It's sad that I still know it, but thats pretty much the only show they would show us in school! Jeff R., did you or anyone else watch Square One in school as well? I think it would be in the same realm. I can still remember some of the skits.

According to Oxford English Dictionary, nerd is "1. a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious. 2. a single-minded expert in a particular technical field."

In my opinion, referring to oneself as a comedy nerd is not particularly endearing. I think the comedy community could be a bit more imaginative in that respect. I would like to call for a re-branding/re categorization of the comedy base that veers away from this negative connotation of nerd.

Aside from my rant, I am glad your back Jeff. Awesome episode as usual.

Superego uses chapters and photos with each. I like it. And it could be useful.

Have you considered using Topatico like max fun and Jonathan colton for merchants? If you're going to break even might as well let someone else handle it. Also be careful with niche designs and chacacter shirts. I'd much rather have a show shirt be available first.

Great episode as always. Thanks for breaking down the t-shirt model. It's nice to hear that the high quality concept extends into the business of Earwolf. Keep up the great work and I'll make sure to grab all the new shirts as they become available!

Yes Jeff, I missed you. I'm bummed about the t-shirt thing though - it's the same problem I've heard from other podcasts over the years. They and their fans come up with all kinds of fun, cute ideas for merch and then 80% of the stuff ends up sitting unsold in someone's garage. I think you explained the issue really well, I just wish you hadn't had to learn it the hard way.
I mean, where was that pioneering sonofabitch Jesse Thorn when all this went down? I thought he had your back. More to the point, where was I? Asleep in an alley probably. Again.

I would also recommend Topatoco for the t-shirts, it was basically created to solve the exact set of issues you described when they came up in the webcomics world of the early oughts. Plus I've been a fan of Jeffrey Rowland since well before he got into the t-shirt game so I like them as much as I do Earwolf. I know you end up sacrificing a bit of the potential profits that way, but as you have I'm sure noticed as soon as you have more than 1 or 2 designs you're trying to sell your costs go up a lot anyway. You will literally have to pay for space to store and ship the shirts from, plus spend a lot of time managing the logistics and maintaining inventory. So depending on how you can get things set up there's a point where you probably end up making more by offloading it. Never mind being able to focus on more important stuff while still having the merchandise get out there.

FOILED AGAIN!
Here I thought I was tuning in to a vibrant discourse on the conflation of oil futures and comedy podcasting, and I find out that this isn't the REAL Jeff Rubin at all, but some hilariously fiendish impostor I may have seen on Bleep Bloop and Nerd Alert! I was so angry that I enjoyed the whole podcast and checked out (the other) Jeff Ruben's podcast!
also: you should totally make a shirt based on this particular episode of the Wolf Den. It wouldn't be too complicated, just a photorealistic image of Jeff Ruben's face surrounded by thousands of file extensions printed in an assortment of typographical sensibilities. And on the sleeves (which I assume is pretty cheap considering the sleeves are so small) you can put: "We can't make a shirt for every podcast episode..." and on the other sleeve: "...but we made a shirt for this one." Then on the back there can be a large print #28, which would usually stand in for a sports team number, but instead this one would stand for the episode number! That way people will think we're cool jocks that play ball sports, when secretly we know the only competition that matters is the earwolf challenge! MAKE IT OR I WILL HATE YOU FOREVER.
But for serious, lovely podcast as always. I value the time you spend on it, and even if you miss a week here or there, I'll still be listening.

Nice tshirt discussion this week...think it about convinced me to buy the "wolf dead' tee soon just so it's not sitting in your garage and you don't have to move it somewhere new.

And for those wondering, the Sklarbro shirts are indeed super nice and comfy and get worn around these parts all the time by this girl. Quite worthy investments.

Love the show and have an idea for a great CBB ep. to spring from this episode. Bring Jeff Rubin on and have Nintendo come out to get him.

Sign in to follow this