🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Cannonball

Brainscan (1994)

Lawnmower man reminded me of this movie for some reason. It stars Edward Furlong and Frank Langella. It's about a kid who plays this video game where you act as a psychopath only to realize later that the murders he committed in the game are happening in real life.

17% on Rotten Tomatoes. Made just over $4M at the box office. But I remember it being a surprisingly watchable movie.

https://youtu.be/QaRbBSeLkj4

• Like 2

As a teen I enjoyed this one quite unironically... I haven't seen it since then but I had no taste back in the 90s so it's probably terrible.

Another reason to do this one - it's got Frank Langella aka Skeletor. Such a crazy filmography for such a respected actor.

• Like 1

Remember Edward Furlong?

Yeah. me neither.

Hey, he was John Connor from Terminator 2! Not to mention he was in American History X, Pet Sematary 2 and Detroit Rock City among others during his 90s prime before drugs, alcohol and multiple run-ins with the law sealed his doom.

I really want to see this. It's not so bad it's unwatchable but bad enough to have plenty of material for the show.

I'm a Brainscan apologist! This is a really fun movie. HDTGM doesn't do very many horror movies, but they're always pretty silly (Chopping Mall/Howling 2/Jason X). This would fit the bill! It also fits nicely with some of the HDTGM selections from the '90s that deal with the internet and technophobia. This is more supernatural than those films, but it's not far from Lawnmower Man or Johnny Mnemonic.

Fun Factoid: the Brainscan theme is sampled by Three 6 Mafia on their first album. You can hear it on "Fuckin Wit Dis Click".

This movie reminds me of playing a bad FMV game that they used to make all the time like Black Dahlia, Ripper etc.

Sign in to follow this