🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 149.5 - Minisode 149.5

When is it appropriate to use your cellphone in a movie theater? Paul gets into this and more as he opens up the Explanation Hope Line and goes through Corrections and Omissions for The Lawnmower Man. We’re also treated to an exclusive interview between Blake J. Harris and The Lawnmower Man director Brett Leonard (to read the entire interview go to www.slashfilm.com). Plus, we’ll find out which high school we’ll be returning to in our next movie, The Movie Bitches review Doctor Strange, and Paul’s got some great picks for you to enjoy!

Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisgetmade.bigcartel.com

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

Paul is in the new Nicolas Cage film “Army of One” available on VOD.

Paul’s new comedy Filthy Preppy Teen$ is now avail on the FullScreen and you can see June and Paul in their old show NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. Paul also appears on Fresh off the Boat on ABC.

June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

I can't stress enough how much I hate the "movie review" MOVIE BITCHES segment on these minis .. . I guess I will just continue to skip past until they stop .. please make them stop.

• Like 4

RANT ALERT ... IGNORE AWAY

i'm having a bad week and I am now in a bad mood ... and after listening to the mini i am now in slightly worse mood. i've never really enjoyed the ask paul segment. it reminds me of the audience questions part in the live eps which ive never really liked either. it's kinda like when you pay go to a concert, pay for travel, food, drink, accommodation and they bring some youtuber or something up on stage to sing ... that's not what i paid for ... not that i am paying for the podcast but you get the point ... i hope

anyway, some of the questions this week really ground my gears. why are we discussing kanye and his mental health issues and doug hutchison and his personal life. kanye had to be hospitalised after that rant and doug and his young wife are still married after what? 5 years? that must be a record in celebrity land ... i dont know what either of them had to do with the podcast .. what's so great about our lives that we get to point fingers at others when they slip or are ill or do something not socially normal....

also, i hate musicals ... so i am not looking forward to grease 2. but then again i wasn't looking forward to alot of HDTGM movies and i enjoyed most of them so here's hoping i am wrong again.

and speaking of being wrong again ... i'm giving up on guessing when the howdies are happening ... i thought for sure they would be episode 150 ... maybe they are saving them for over the holidays ... damnit i did it again ...

sorry for the rant ... enjoy your day

• Like 3

I can't stress enough how much I hate the "movie review" MOVIE BITCHES segment on these minis .. . I guess I will just continue to skip past until they stop .. please make them stop.

I think they're fine, but--without having listened to this episode yet--the only real complaint I have is with audio quality. It's like their recording reviews onto a wax cylinder and then transmitting them via tin can and string (Oh my God. Am I that guy?)

Anyway, I think the reviews are just excerpts from their YouTube show, so it makes me think, that rather than having a segment on the HDTGM mini episodes, maybe they should just have their own podcast? I'd subscribe.

• Like 4

FYI the show where the girl touched her fingers to stop time was called Out Of This World

• Like 2

anyway, some of the questions this week really ground my gears. why are we discussing kanye and his mental health issues and doug hutchison and his personal life. kanye had to be hospitalised after that rant and doug and his young wife are still married after what? 5 years? that must be a record in celebrity land ... i dont know what either of them had to do with the podcast .. what's so great about our lives that we get to point fingers at others when they slip or are ill or do something not socially normal....

I thought they got divorced. I don't really know though, I only knew about them because of The Soup, which has been off of the year for a while now.

also, i hate musicals ... so i am not looking forward to grease 2. but then again i wasn't looking forward to alot of HDTGM movies and i enjoyed most of them so here's hoping i am wrong again.

Yeah, me too, Grease is probably my least favorite of the musicals. It's just not the type of music that I enjoy. I'm considering watching Grease 2, but playing death metal during the song parts (unless I discover that the songs are hilariously bad in a Rebeca Black/Tay Zonday way.)

• Like 2

Not to join the bitchfest, but I've always felt alone as one of the few people I've ever met who fucking HATES Grease. I won't watch the movie, but look forward to the episode all the same. I'll let J-Man, Big Paul, and the beautiful June watch it for me and give me the gist.

• Like 3

I think they're fine, but--without having listened to this episode yet--the only real complaint I have is with audio quality. It's like their recording reviews onto a wax cylinder and then transmitting them via tin can and string (Oh my God. Am I that guy?)

On YouTube, the moviebitches videos sound fine. Why do I think Paul is just holding up the microphone in front of the laptop to record these for the podcast.

• Like 2

Oh, and I bet the franchise is Star Wars? All the BB8 references and all...

I thought so too - I certainly got the sense that it was a Disney property, but maybe it's the proximity of the June-thinks-Daisy-Duck-is-Daffy story that made me think that. Is there anyone on the forum in California who is planning to go this event? The way it sounds, it seems unlikely these will surface after the fact...

Grease 2! Reproduction, Reproduction!!

I remember absolutely LOVING this movie as a kid. My sister and I recorded it off the television and watched it on a loop. It wasn't until years later that I read something that referred to how bad Grease 2 was, that I thought back and realised just how wrong we'd been. I'm hoping that the nostalgia factor hauls me through, but to the fellow board posters who have said they don't like the first Grease movie - you will SUPER HATE the second one. Same goes if you really, really love the first one. This is a mess of a movie, no two ways about it. I cannot wait to hear Jason talk about the Reproduction song.

• Like 2

some people just have to trash other peoples

for true love and Doug Hutchison has found that love.

FORWARD TO 1.40 MIN MARK TO GET THE JOKE HERE.

why can't we just leave him alone! and courtney stodden is a musical

and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCHE0Tjw6MA

of course i'm being sarcastic here. the lesson here is careful what you wish for.

On a funny note his step mothers name is christa.

Yes, Lando!! And the theme was an awesome "Swinging On A Star" redo. And the mom was Donna Pescow! And Burt Reynolds was the voice of someone, but I can't remember who.

Whatever happened to Evie...

• Like 2

Yes, Lando!! And the theme was an awesome "Swinging On A Star" redo. And the mom was Donna Pescow! And Burt Reynolds was the voice of someone, but I can't remember who.

Whatever happened to Evie...

Wasn't Burt the voice of the dad, who talked to Evie through a plastic tesseract? As a kid, Buzz Belmondo was the height of comedy, I'm sure he holds up poorly.

Anyone get the Hamilton Mixtape today? It's stunning in parts. A bit uneven in others. I think it needs a bunch of listens to really figure it out, but overall, pretty great. I'm disappointed in how over-produced 'Quiet Uptown' is, with Kelly Clarkson: the simplicity of the original is its strength. It just played through and I feared that I would be reduced to a quivering mess in this coffee shop, but it left me cold. Anyway, would love to hear everyone's opinion!

• Like 1

to the fellow board posters who have said they don't like the first Grease movie - you will SUPER HATE the second one. Same goes if you really, really love the first one. This is a mess of a movie, no two ways about it. I cannot wait to hear Jason talk about the Reproduction song.

I dunno. I'm YouTubing Reproduction right now, and this movie actually seems kind of great. I might try to track it down.

• Like 1

Anyone get the Hamilton Mixtape today? It's stunning in parts. A bit uneven in others. I think it needs a bunch of listens to really figure it out, but overall, pretty great. I'm disappointed in how over-produced 'Quiet Uptown' is, with Kelly Clarkson: the simplicity of the original is its strength. It just played through and I feared that I would be reduced to a quivering mess in this coffee shop, but it left me cold. Anyway, would love to hear everyone's opinion!

Of course I have! I think I feel the same way at the moment, but I didn't really expect it affect me the same way the musical did. I love the demos on it, because I like that window into the creative process.

I didn't really mind Kelly Clarkson. I certainly enjoyed her rendition more than I thought I would. But considering the original version absolutely wrecks me every time, and this did nothing for me, I can say without a doubt that her version is definitely the lesser of the two.

To be honest, I think just wanted more Lin on the album--although I recognize that's not really the point of this album.

On a side note, I love it when rappers pull a Wiz Khalifa on "Washingtons on You Side" and do the weird monologue at the beginning of a song:

Um, it's kind of crazy, cos people think I got it made just because I got paper. I mean, I do got it made, but...that's cos I made it myself.

It just amuses me to no end, especially the premeditation of it. I just like to think of some dude standing alone in a recording booth like, "No, no, guys. Just roll. I got something I have say..." I find that shit so fucking cheesy. Like, just imagining he's reading it off a piece of printer paper like it's fucking gospel. It's fantastic.

• Like 2

Of course I have! I think I feel the same way at the moment, but I didn't really expect it affect me the same way the musical did. I love the demos on it, because I like that window into the creative process.

I didn't really mind Kelly Clarkson. I certainly enjoyed her rendition more than I thought I would. But considering the original version absolutely wrecks me every time, and this did nothing for me, I can say without a doubt that her version is definitely the lesser of the two.

To be honest, I think just wanted more Lin on the album--although I recognize that's not really the point of this album.

On a side note, I love it when rappers pull a Wiz Khalifa on "Washingtons on You Side" and do the weird monologue at the beginning of a song:

Um, it's kind of crazy, cos people think I got it made just because I got paper. I mean, I do got it made, but...that's cos I made it myself.

It just amuses me to no end, especially the premeditation of it. I just like to think of some dude standing alone in a recording booth like, "No, no, guys. Just roll. I got something I have say..." I find that shit so fucking cheesy. Like, just imagining he's reading it off a piece of printer paper like it's fucking gospel. It's fantastic.

I'm glad it's not just me that isn't stirred by Kelly Clarkson - I like her generally and I read about how hard it was for her to record this while pregnant, but the layers and distortions takes so much of the emotion out of it. I agree about the absence of Lin - when he shows up in 'Wrote My Way Out' it felt like a flood of familiarity: and hearing him name-check Maurice Sendak right off the bat was amazing. I really love the Interludes - particularly the remix of 'Take a Break', which could be much longer. Really love Sia's take on 'Satisfied' and impressed by the narrative flip of 'Say Yes To This'. Love both 'Dear Theodosia' versions (I can't get enough Regina Spektor). Most of all I think the track I'll come back to most will be 'Immigrants (We Get the Job Done)' - so glad to see K'NAAN get some big exposure.

• Like 1

I'm glad it's not just me that isn't stirred by Kelly Clarkson - I like her generally and I read about how hard it was for her to record this while pregnant, but the layers and distortions takes so much of the emotion out of it. I agree about the absence of Lin - when he shows up in 'Wrote My Way Out' it felt like a flood of familiarity: and hearing him name-check Maurice Sendak right off the bat was amazing. I really love the Interludes - particularly the remix of 'Take a Break', which could be much longer. Really love Sia's take on 'Satisfied' and impressed by the narrative flip of 'Say Yes To This'. Love both 'Dear Theodosia' versions (I can't get enough Regina Spektor). Most of all I think the track I'll come back to most will be 'Immigrants (We Get the Job Done)' - so glad to see K'NAAN get some big exposure.

Wow, I hadn't heard that about Kelly Clarkson. I bet that was awful...

Yeah, Lin's great on "Wrote My Way Out." I hear, "I know my abuela wont really hit the lottery". And I'm like, "Shit, I haven't listened to In the Heights in far too long."

Basically, it sounds like you and I are of the same mind on it. I'm just going to talk to my reflection now and pretend you and I are talking about it. :)

Oh, but I could have done without Jimmy Fallon. Couldn't get through it.

P.S. Change your name all you want, but you'll always be "Kit Walker" to me.

It's like this part of Van Halen "Unchained"

Woo hoo! Take a look at this!

Hey man, that suit is you!

Woo-whee! You'll get some leg tonight for sure!

Tell us how you do! Hoo hoo hoo!

(Come on Dave, gimme a break)

Hey hey hey hey! One break, comin' up!

• Like 2

It's like this part of Van Halen "Unchained"

Woo hoo! Take a look at this!

Hey man, that suit is you!

Woo-whee! You'll get some leg tonight for sure!

Tell us how you do! Hoo hoo hoo!

(Come on Dave, gimme a break)

Hey hey hey hey! One break, comin' up!

Yes! And "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love!" Freaking ridiculous! LOL

• Like 1

Basically, it sounds like you and I are of the same mind on it. I'm just going to talk to my reflection now and pretend you and I are talking about it. :)

Oh, but I could have done without Jimmy Fallon. Couldn't get through it.

P.S. Change your name all you want, but you'll always be "Kit Walker" to me.

Agreed on the agreement: let's continue this discussion for a million posts. Everyone will be fine with it.

Also agreed on Jimmy Fallon. Like, WTF is up with that? Especially the terrible intro about his Classical Training? Guh.

Maybe I should go back to Kit Walker. I like it pretty well but it's the first time I've ever used that username and I wasn't devoted to it. This current one was a whim after hearing a phrase in the Pod F. Tompkast. It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, does it? I think I only won the No-Prize last week because of the weird name, so maybe I should decide that it's done its job and I should switch back. Or, maybe i should hold a 'Fate of What's Up Hot Dog' poll like in the waning days of Comedy Death Ray Radio? Everyone in here has such epic usernames - distinct, succinct, original - that coming up with the right complementary one is a tough thing.

• Like 2

Agreed on the agreement: let's continue this discussion for a million posts. Everyone will be fine with it.

Also agreed on Jimmy Fallon. Like, WTF is up with that? Especially the terrible intro about his Classical Training? Guh.

Maybe I should go back to Kit Walker. I like it pretty well but it's the first time I've ever used that username and I wasn't devoted to it. This current one was a whim after hearing a phrase in the Pod F. Tompkast. It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, does it? I think I only won the No-Prize last week because of the weird name, so maybe I should decide that it's done its job and I should switch back. Or, maybe i should hold a 'Fate of What's Up Hot Dog' poll like in the waning days of Comedy Death Ray Radio? Everyone in here has such epic usernames - distinct, succinct, original - that coming up with the right complementary one is a tough thing.

I like CakeBug Tranch. I fucking hate Jimmy Fallon. I've never heard a single syllable of Hamilton, I hate him for separate reasons.

Unrelated: I kind of knew the voraphilia comment was going to be the comment of the week.

• Like 3

Yes! And "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love!" Freaking ridiculous! LOL

CORRECTION: I meant "Panama." I typed that just as I was running out the door to pick up my son, and all the way to his school I was like, "Oh no! I'll lose everyone's respect! They'll think I'm a big ole dumb dummy."

• Like 1