🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 149.5 - Minisode 149.5

The best and possibly only good things about this movie are the fact it is available on Netflix and more importantly Pamela Adlon (née Segall).

• Like 1

Not to join the bitchfest, but I've always felt alone as one of the few people I've ever met who fucking HATES Grease. I won't watch the movie, but look forward to the episode all the same. I'll let J-Man, Big Paul, and the beautiful June watch it for me and give me the gist.

I have had an aversion to Grease since being on a school trip stuck on a bus next to a bunch of girls who bullied me who INSISTED we watched Grease on the way home. Idk, I may be at a point where I could give it a chance? But I'm also exceptionally stubborn.

• Like 2

You know what? Daisy Duck? You ain't all that. Daisy was my sister's favorite character (because she liked ducks and was a girl) growing up. And when we went to Disney World? She looked all over for Daisy and never found her.

First Daisy disses my sister and they has a beef with June? You know what? I'm fucking done with you, bro.

Just Say No to Daisy Duck. She's a Poor Man's Minnie Mouse.

I disagree with Paul's response to the cell phone guy (I don't know why people call ask Paul's opinion on Kanye West. Like... what does that have to do with this show?) I don't want people on their cellphones during the trailers. Because the lights do go down then. It's okay when they're doing the pre-show commercials. But once the lights go down, you gotta turn it off. The light of the cellphone is distracting so if you want to use it, you should go outside the theater.

I'm so pumped for Grease 2. I've been wanting them to do this one since June said it was one of her favorite movies as a kid. She better be back for this podcast. I NEED to know June's thoughts! NEED.

• Like 5

Agreed on the agreement: let's continue this discussion for a million posts. Everyone will be fine with it.

Also agreed on Jimmy Fallon. Like, WTF is up with that? Especially the terrible intro about his Classical Training? Guh.

Maybe I should go back to Kit Walker. I like it pretty well but it's the first time I've ever used that username and I wasn't devoted to it. This current one was a whim after hearing a phrase in the Pod F. Tompkast. It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, does it? I think I only won the No-Prize last week because of the weird name, so maybe I should decide that it's done its job and I should switch back. Or, maybe i should hold a 'Fate of What's Up Hot Dog' poll like in the waning days of Comedy Death Ray Radio? Everyone in here has such epic usernames - distinct, succinct, original - that coming up with the right complementary one is a tough thing.

Oh! Cake bug trance. I never did find out what happened to the pyramid pyramid scheme.

• Like 2

Oh! Cake bug trance. I never did find out what happened to the pyramid pyramid scheme.

Yessssss! Vindicated!

Edit: I'm well aware that it's an idiotic name, but every time I see my user name I hear Paul F. Tompkins as the Cake Boss say "now lemme go into my cake bug tranch", and it makes me smile. I'm not even sure the Cake Boss is in my top three of PFT characters...

• Like 1

I thought they got divorced. I don't really know though, I only knew about them because of The Soup, which has been off of the year for a while now.

They had a short separation and then went on that couple's therapy show with Dr. Drew I think but they never got divorced as far as I can remember.

Yessssss! Vindicated!

Edit: I'm well aware that it's an idiotic name, but every time I see my user name I hear Paul F. Tompkins as the Cake Boss say "now lemme go into my cake bug tranch", and it makes me smile. I'm not even sure the Cake Boss is in my top three of PFT characters...

Cake Boss

Ice-T

Garry Marshall

Duh

• Like 1

I like CakeBug Tranch. I fucking hate Jimmy Fallon. I've never heard a single syllable of Hamilton, I hate him for separate reasons.

Unrelated: I kind of knew the voraphilia comment was going to be the comment of the week.

I have always hated him too, but I thought he was beloved (much like Grease).

• Like 3

Cake Boss

Ice-T

Garry Marshall

Duh

I'm pretty fond of his John C. Reilly. Someone on the boards suggested HDTGM should do The Vampire's Assistant, and I thought it would be awesome for PFT to do the show in his JCR character. Actually, now that I think about it, that's a terrible idea.

No, my list is

Dame Sir Andrew

John C. Reilly

Ice-T

Cake Boss (3 and 4 interchangeable)

• Like 3

No, my list is

Dame Sir Andrew

John C. Reilly

Ice-T

Cake Boss (3 and 4 interchangeable)

You said top 3!

• Like 2

I do believe the best Paul F. Tompkins character of all time is a Mr. Herbert George Wells.

tumblr_nhkw8lho4L1rcoly3o1_500.gif

• Like 5

I have never watched Grease, so Grease 2 will be a trip. I also dislike musicals because they defy logic. There's no way around it.

Spoken dialogue, dramatic conflict, and suddenly everyone in that world knows dance choreography and lyrics to a song concerning a matter they weren't privy to moments earlier.

It's like "The Apple" hour long exercise session. But without the minute long warning. And more frequent. Better description, it's like "The Apple" exercise session had a baby with P90x, that baby grew up, and graduated with a degree in English Literature from a very intense liberal arts college.

• Like 1

Yeah. I hate Grease too, guys!

*Realizes what his member title and location has been for the past couple months. Frantically tries to come up with something else before anyone notices*

• Like 1

quick update:

as i have said before i set myself a target at the start of the year to collect 100 HDTGM movies before the end of 2016 .. so ... ahead of schedule but way over budget!!! .. i give you .. 98 ... 99 ... 100!!!!

2ac2Vw.gif

here's to 2017 and whatever stupid challenge i can come up with ... gona try and make it all about free stuff cause this got abit out of hand

• Like 4

I am streaming Grease 2 on Netflix. Sweet, sweet "free" bad movie!

• Like 2

I wasn't able to be on the boards for this movie so I missed Cameron H.'s Book of Job analysis and HOLY SHIT that was amazing. As a guilt-obsessed Catholic, I have spent an inordinate amount of time pondering that book so I absolutely loved the Mirror Job(e) theory behind Lawnmower Man. Being a Big Time Nerd helped too. Well done.

• Like 4

And about the Movie Bitches reviews, I am sorry, but I am not a fan of them either. It's like... if my 90-year-old racist grandfather had a nightmare about how Millennials talk, I imagine they would sound like that.

I really enjoy the Ask Paul segment though, even if the Kanye question was kinda out of the blue.

And I wholeheartedly endorse Allied. Great movie.

• Like 3

I wasn't able to be on the boards for this movie so I missed Cameron H.'s Book of Job analysis and HOLY SHIT that was amazing. As a guilt-obsessed Catholic, I have spent an inordinate amount of time pondering that book so I absolutely loved the Mirror Job(e) theory behind Lawnmower Man. Being a Big Time Nerd helped too. Well done.

956.gif

• Like 4

And to think, he didn't think he was gonna make it!

• Like 1

As soon as Paul mentioned someone's name from the board I was like omg and laughing out loud since I already knew what the comments were. My roommate kept pausing the podcast to question what my issue was. I am an embarrassment. The comments this week were really great though!

I think I like the Movie Bitches youtube reviews better, because they discuss things a bit more at length. The little two minute reviews are pretty condensed, so it's harder for me to follow.

• Like 2

Watched 'Grease 2' last night with my wife, who once played Jan in the stage version of the original musical, so had a real vested interest in the world of Rydell. As I've said before, I loved this movie as a kid - my sister and I used to watch it on a loop, and knew all the words to all of the songs - so it was with dismay that I realised that this one wouldn't be nearly as much fun as I'd promised my wife (who had never seen it). What a mess. The 50's aesthetic of the first one was completely thrown out, so all of the songs were unlike each other (I think only two of the songs were composed by the same person) and aside from some half-hearted references to President Kennedy and the nuclear crisis, this is definitely a movie of the early 80's, not early 60's.

I videoed sections of the movie as it played out and texted them to my sister, who was struck with the same nostalgia I was. The difference was, I was watching the movie as a whole, so was realising just how horrible it was, while she was seeing it in snippets and reminiscing about how she loved Michelle Pfeiffer's character as a girl.

Hugely satisfying to see Pamela Adlon as a teenage wannabe 'Pink Lady'. Also, I enjoyed seeing Christopher McDonald as a T-Bird: when I first saw 'Happy Gilmore' I mistakenly thought it was Jeff Conaway (Kenickie) who played Shooter McGavin: watching this I realised I was just mixing up my T-Birds.

I reiterate: I can't wait to hear Jason talk about the 'Reproduction' song.

• Like 3

Yeah. I hate Grease too, guys!

*Realizes what his member title and location has been for the past couple months. Frantically tries to come up with something else before anyone notices*

Haha! I didn't even connect the two. "Branded a fool."

• Like 1

This is a bit of a first for me as it's the first time I've actually watched a film for the podcast as my telly isn't internet ready and I own the DVD. And you know what, I actually enjoyed it better than Grease. Yes I know it's corny but I truly think the songs are better The only scene that struck me as bad was the one in the bowling alley where people were rotating way too much for any dance number and which also feature a HDTGM classic a nundercover"

I do believe the best Paul F. Tompkins character of all time is a Mr. Herbert George Wells.

tumblr_nhkw8lho4L1rcoly3o1_500.gif

Great Zeus, where is that from? dare I ask?

Never mind: I've seemed to have found

!

25k3s3r.jpg

• Like 4