🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 149.5 - Minisode 149.5

Have you guys noticed that girls always seem to fall in love with "Grease" during middle school? That's when I watched it a lot. (Along with "Cry Baby" and "Hairspray"-- OG Ricki Lake version). It's kind of funny because I think a lot of the sexual elements of "Grease" went over my head then. (The pregnancy and a lot of the suggestive dance moves.)

I think parents must think it's wholesome because it's set in the fifties but the whole point of the musical was it was about teenage counter-culture and rebellion. I think "Grease 2" misses out by being set in the 60's but not really addressing any of the teenage rebellion that went on during that time. Except some throw away references to nuclear war that are used for comedy???

I think that's why Hairspray (the Musical) works better as a successor, because it has the Civil Rights struggle and is pointedly about gay people, despite what John Travolta thinks.

I should probably save this stuff for the episode thread but I just realized Hairspray Live is on this week. So I thought some people might want to watch and compare. ;)

• Like 4

I disagree with Paul's response to the cell phone guy (I don't know why people call ask Paul's opinion on Kanye West. Like... what does that have to do with this show?) I don't want people on their cellphones during the trailers. Because the lights do go down then. It's okay when they're doing the pre-show commercials. But once the lights go down, you gotta turn it off. The light of the cellphone is distracting so if you want to use it, you should go outside the theater.

I could not agree more. Everything about that guy's question made me mad. It was just a bunch of lame excuses.

"Oh, they run 30 minutes of trailers." It varies by theater, but the normal average is about 17 minutes (and if you go to theaters like Alamo Drafthouse, it's usually closer to 8 minutes). I went to see Finding Dory at a Saturday matinee. I was probably the only one there without a kid in tow, and I would guess that most of the kids were under 10. They all sat quietly through the trailers. If they could do it, there's no reason a grown fucking adult can't do the same.

"Trailers give everything away." Then step outside if that is truly your issue. Don't make it the rest of the theater's issue.

"The trailer isn't the movie." No, but you're still being inconsiderate to everyone else in the theater. When the lights go down, put your fucking phone away. It's distracting and rude to have a light flashing around. And if someone asks you to put your phone away, don't be an asshole about it; just put the goddamn phone away or step outside.

• Like 6

I could not agree more. Everything about that guy's question made me mad. It was just a bunch of lame excuses.

"Oh, they run 30 minutes of trailers." It varies by theater, but the normal average is about 17 minutes (and if you go to theaters like Alamo Drafthouse, it's usually closer to 8 minutes). I went to see Finding Dory at a Saturday matinee. I was probably the only one there without a kid in tow, and I would guess that most of the kids were under 10. They all sat quietly through the trailers. If they could do it, there's no reason a grown fucking adult can't do the same.

"Trailers give everything away." Then step outside if that is truly your issue. Don't make it the rest of the theater's issue.

"The trailer isn't the movie." No, but you're still being inconsiderate to everyone else in the theater. When the lights go down, put your fucking phone away. It's distracting and rude to have a light flashing around. And if someone asks you to put your phone away, don't be an asshole about it; just put the goddamn phone away or step outside.

I have a friend who is attached to her phone and was terrible with using it during the movie, usually to text her then boyfriend who was sitting next to her. I'm not kidding. I would rail on her every time and she'd just come off as if it wasn't a big deal, and that might have been the case if we were in the back of the theater and it was only me seeing the backlight, but we were near the front of the upper section of our theater and I finally lost it when it was just me and her, leaned in close to her and whispered, "if you don't turn off that fucking phone I'm leaving you here." She begrudgingly turned it off and has thankfully not done it since, at least around me. I've said in this forum before that I consider film my religion and the theater my church because of the experience it offers.

So I've decided to come up with the Eight Commandments of being in a movie theater:

I. Turn your phone off/silent as soon as the previews start

II. Don't talk during the movie, but if you absolutely have to, whisper in a six inch voice.

III. If you show up after the previews start, do not inconvenience someone else by asking them to move down a seat so you can sit with friends. Respect that they made it to the theater on time.

IV. Do not hold an entire row of seats unless you set it up with the theater, you get to hold a max of two for your friends.

V. If there is a lot of space in the theater, do not sit directly next to another person, each person should have a one seat buffer zone on every side.

VI. If your kid starts crying during the movie, take them out of the damn theater.

VII. Do not talk to the characters on the screen, they cannot fucking hear you.

VIII. Don't go into a theater to look for your friends, it just ruins the experience for everyone else.

• Like 5

I have a friend who is attached to her phone and was terrible with using it during the movie, usually to text her then boyfriend who was sitting next to her. I'm not kidding. I would rail on her every time and she'd just come off as if it wasn't a big deal, and that might have been the case if we were in the back of the theater and it was only me seeing the backlight, but we were near the front of the upper section of our theater and I finally lost it when it was just me and her, leaned in close to her and whispered, "if you don't turn off that fucking phone I'm leaving you here." She begrudgingly turned it off and has thankfully not done it since, at least around me. I've said in this forum before that I consider film my religion and the theater my church because of the experience it offers.

So I've decided to come up with the Eight Commandments of being in a movie theater:

I. Turn your phone off/silent as soon as the previews start

II. Don't talk during the movie, but if you absolutely have to, whisper in a six inch voice.

III. If you show up after the previews start, do not inconvenience someone else by asking them to move down a seat so you can sit with friends. Respect that they made it to the theater on time.

IV. Do not hold an entire row of seats unless you set it up with the theater, you get to hold a max of two for your friends.

V. If there is a lot of space in the theater, do not sit directly next to another person, each person should have a one seat buffer zone on every side.

VI. If your kid starts crying during the movie, take them out of the damn theater.

VII. Do not talk to the characters on the screen, they cannot fucking hear you.

VIII. Don't go into a theater to look for your friends, it just ruins the experience for everyone else.

Theaters with assigned seats fortunately take care of a few of those. Unfortunately, it also means people come in and use the fucking flashlight on their phones to find their assigned seats during the trailers. Nothing like a searing white light in the middle of a dark room.

• Like 1

Count me in to team TurnOffYourDamnPhone: I look forward to trailers, because I don't see many of the blockbusters in the cinema (what with having kids) so getting to see the supercut of what's to come is always a huge highlight for me. I mean, the question I had for the bozo who phoned in to Paul was, 'WHAT is so important on your phone that you and your wife need to be studiously tapping even after the lights have gone down in the cinema'? I can completely understand if someone's monitoring an eBay auction or is down to the final minutes in a Clash of Clans War (whoo boy, guilty), but if it's just mindless googling, COME ON. I say, that if the cinema has dipped the lights, that's the universal signal to say 'shh. It's starting.' I always get annoyed when I'm at a film that only shows a couple of trailers: I look forward to 3-4 good ones, particularly prior to big films. If the guy in front of me has his phone on, that takes me right out. Turn it off!

On a related note (and linking to another thread), I saw 'Hotel Transylvania 2' with my kids last year, which wasn't my favourite theatregoing experience ever, because not only was the movie pretty bad, but two separate fathers in the rows around me decided that they would show their disdain for this children's movie by being on their cellphones incessantly throughout. Packed cinema, googling merrily away. And, of course, because we're Canadians, we're all too polite to say anything. So I thought I would wait a year and a half and then complain in a forum entirely unrelated to that movie. That'll show him.

• Like 3

Theaters with assigned seats fortunately take care of a few of those. Unfortunately, it also means people come in and use the fucking flashlight on their phones to find their assigned seats during the trailers. Nothing like a searing white light in the middle of a dark room.

The theater near me started assigned seats this last year and that happened about the third time is when that happened. Seeing The Accountant when this older couple comes in and it was basically like watching a couple play Pictionary and have their entire relationship unravel before your eyes. They get to where their seats are but there is someone sitting in them, and the guy loses it on his wife. She's telling him "let's just find another seat honey" and he's going "no we paid for that fucking seat and it's because you had to have popcorn that we're late and someone took our seat!" And they aren't being quiet about it, the whole time you can feel the rest of audience get uncomfortable in that Bill Burr way of thinking to ourselves "settle that, make it go away!" Finally the guy approaches the guys in their seats and shows them the tickets and they apologize and move to their seats, this of course after someone yelled "shut the fuck up" to the old guy.

My only real problem with those seats though is that they recline so far that I feel I'm always in danger of falling asleep during the movie.

• Like 4

My only real problem with those seats though is that they recline so far that I feel I'm always in danger of falling asleep during the movie.

Now there's a first world problem! ;)

• Like 4

I've only had my cell phone out for the pre-shows to Rifftrax Live, as they encourage taking pics of the onscreen jokes. But otherwise I put that thing away.

I like these. May I add: Don't ask what's going to happen or other plot related questions during the movie. You're already watching it, be quiet and have some patience.

Directed towards my roommate's mother in and out of the theater, but mostly in it lol

• Like 5

The theater near me started assigned seats this last year and that happened about the third time is when that happened. Seeing The Accountant when this older couple comes in and it was basically like watching a couple play Pictionary and have their entire relationship unravel before your eyes. They get to where their seats are but there is someone sitting in them, and the guy loses it on his wife. She's telling him "let's just find another seat honey" and he's going "no we paid for that fucking seat and it's because you had to have popcorn that we're late and someone took our seat!" And they aren't being quiet about it, the whole time you can feel the rest of audience get uncomfortable in that Bill Burr way of thinking to ourselves "settle that, make it go away!" Finally the guy approaches the guys in their seats and shows them the tickets and they apologize and move to their seats, this of course after someone yelled "shut the fuck up" to the old guy.

Alamo (living in Austin, it's pretty much the only place I go see movies) started doing a thing a couple years ago where they don't allow people in late. But by "late," they mean "when the feature starts." So people still come in during the trailers, use their phones to find their seats and peruse the menu. It's really distracting, but fortunately, I've never seen a couple have a breakdown like that.

The closest I think I ever came to that was when I went to an advanced screening of The Neon Demon. It was all people from the top two tiers of their rewards program, which meant it was people that go to Alamo frequently. So everyone was early, which is normally cool, but the couple next to me had a giant fight because she asked him what he wanted for his birthday, he showed her a Kylo Ren figure from Sideshow Collectibles that costs ~$250, and she said no. So he threw a big boy fit in the middle of the theater until the trailer started.

Fortunately, the theater(s) I go to don't have those, but there are some up in the suburbs here that have the leather recliners, and yeah, I feel like it's just naptime when I go to those. I'm one of those people that if I'm lying down and still for more than about 5-10 minutes, I'm probably going to fall asleep, so I never go to theaters like that because I don't want to pay $15 for a nap when I can take one at home for free.

• Like 3

Yeah I'll recline it just far enough that my feet are up and not blocking the walkway but not so far that I'm laying back at a 30 degree angle.

• Like 2

So everyone was early, which is normally cool, but the couple next to me had a giant fight because she asked him what he wanted for his birthday, he showed her a Kylo Ren figure from Sideshow Collectibles that costs ~$250, and she said no. So he threw a big boy fit in the middle of the theater until the trailer started.

Wow. Sometimes you see a couple and you're just like, "Yup. They're gonna make it."

awestruck.gif

• Like 4

Wow. Sometimes you see a couple and you're just like, "Yup. They're gonna make it."

awestruck.gif

Them and every couple I see on Maury.

• Like 3

Now there's a first world problem! ;)

And I am fine with that.

I like these. May I add: Don't ask what's going to happen or other plot related questions during the movie. You're already watching it, be quiet and have some patience.

Directed towards my roommate's mother in and out of the theater, but mostly in it lol

No bullshit, I was watching Spider-Man 3 in theaters and the two people sitting in front of me was a elderly man from either a nursing home or he had in-home care as the other person was his nurse/helper. She spent the entire movie explaining the history of Spider-Man to him in the context of what was happening in the movie. I would have been more pissed if the movie had actually been any good.

• Like 4

No bullshit, I was watching Spider-Man 3 in theaters and the two people sitting in front of me was a elderly man from either a nursing home or he had in-home care as the other person was his nurse/helper. She spent the entire movie explaining the history of Spider-Man to him in the context of what was happening in the movie. I would have been more pissed if the movie had actually been any good.

"Nurse? NURSE! Why is that Spider Man dancing? What's with his hair? Nurse? Can you explain why they let the redhead sing? Nurse?"

• Like 6

It was a lot of "okay so he got bit by a radioactive spider while on a field trip," and "that is a bad guy who gets covered by the alien goo and turned into a super villain." It was beyond irritating but I'm not so much of an asshole to tell a nurse and her ward to shut up because then I'm the real villain to everyone else.

• Like 4

Oh my gosh, Grease 2! I have seen that an embarrassing number of times as I had the BIGGEST crush on Adrian Zmed as a pre-teen! I can probably sing 'Cool Rider' from memory!

Man, growing up in the 80s was awful!

• Like 5

I'm glad all of you seem to be on Team Turn Off Your Phone. I actually find the backlight of someone playing a game or googling something on their phone way more distracting than someone whispering or talking quietly to the person next to them. Because the light illuminates YOU. It's like a spotlight. And I'm like, "Great, now I have to look at your dumb face." You *can* turn down the brightness if you MUST look something up. But I don't see why people can't go two hours without Google.

/old lady yells at cloud

• Like 4

Yeah I'll recline it just far enough that my feet are up and not blocking the walkway but not so far that I'm laying back at a 30 degree angle.

I usually go just to general cinemas because I never think It's worth the price but I took my mum has bad spinal pain which means she can't sit in the normal seats and hasn't been to see a movie at the cinema in years, its was awesome just to see how excited she was to be able to go watch a movie.

• Like 3

Y'all Jason, June, and Paul are all on Anna Faris is Unqualified today, which I think is a huge hint at who our next guest could be!

• Like 2

And I am fine with that.

I went to see Let's Be Cops (I think, I go to a lot of movies on my own), and half way through the movie, this flash just happens in the corner of my eye, I looked over to see what it was, and it was this dumb girl taking selfies. what kind of mind must someone have to think "Hmmmm, this movie is pretty good... I'll take a selfie to show people how much fun I'm having #MOVIESELFIE #YOLO #THATGUYOVERTHEREISPISSED#"

• Like 3

Y'all Jason, June, and Paul are all on Anna Faris is Unqualified today, which I think is a huge hint at who our next guest could be!

Maybe they can ask her why she abandoned her dog...