🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 149.5 - Minisode 149.5

Maybe they can ask her why she abandoned her dog...

I have no idea what you're talking about but my mind has gone to the worst possible thing and now I'm sad

EDIT: Okay just read about this story and her statement. It's sad, but she isn't the one who dumped the dog on the streets so that makes me feel better. I absolutely understand the heartbreak of having to give away a pet because of allergies, and she thought she could trust the people who took in the dog so that is not her fault, but she should have absolutely notified the correct people in order to prevent that situation.

I'm more forgiving of her than clearly a lot of people online, and as an avid fighter for animal rights, that's actually a pretty big deal for me. I've taken in cats because of this exact reason. People get animals, things don't work out, they find another loving home for the animal. She should have definitely followed the contract with the rescue organization, but we don't even have the whole story so I don't want to jump to conclusions based on gossip articles and horrible commenters. I read one that said her son should be taken away from her if she's that careless, and that's a little fucked up to say to someone.

But also, my bias for how much I genuinely love Anna and Chris could be swaying how I feel. I don't know.

I have no idea what you're talking about but my mind has gone to the worst possible thing and now I'm sad

EDIT: Okay just read about this story and her statement. It's sad, but she isn't the one who dumped the dog on the streets so that makes me feel better. I absolutely understand the heartbreak of having to give away a pet because of allergies, and she thought she could trust the people who took in the dog so that is not her fault, but she should have absolutely notified the correct people in order to prevent that situation.

That's why part of the contract you sign with almost all shelters/rescues says if you can't take care of an animal for any reason, you have to bring it back to the shelter/rescue where you got it from. I just get testy about that kind of stuff because dogs are my non-movie passion. I've worked with a lot of shelters, and dogs where people found a new owner almost always end up being reclaimed, and ultimately, it's still the responsibility of the person who adopted them from the shelter because they didn't follow the procedure they agreed to in their adoption contract.

/dogrant

• Like 2

That's why part of the contract you sign with almost all shelters/rescues says if you can't take care of an animal for any reason, you have to bring it back to the shelter/rescue where you got it from. I just get testy about that kind of stuff because dogs are my non-movie passion. I've worked with a lot of shelters, and dogs where people found a new owner almost always end up being reclaimed, and ultimately, it's still the responsibility of the person who adopted them from the shelter because they didn't follow the procedure they agreed to in their adoption contract.

/dogrant

No I completely understand, and really a call to the shelter is not that fucking hard.

I guess because the outrage is so extreme on the things I read that that makes me uncomfortable I'm like okay can we be rational about the situation...

EDIT: I'm really with you on the non-movie passion thing with animals, and this has made me feel genuinely awful.

I never want to be that kind of person that goes from 0-60 in the outrage, but it makes me feel like a horrible animal lover. They're the ones who always get the shit end of the stick.

• Like 1

I guess because the outrage is so extreme on the things I read that that makes me uncomfortable I'm like okay can we be rational about the situation...

Oh! Didn't you hear? Expressing extreme outrage is the new normal. Get with it.

For example, this is how I react when people choose the entryway of a store to stop and have a conversation:

78389-spock-screaming-gif-Star-Trek-sLKZ.gif

• Like 3

Oh! Didn't you hear? Expressing extreme outrage is the new normal. Get with it.

For example, this is how I react when people choose the entryway of a store to stop and have a conversation:

78389-spock-screaming-gif-Star-Trek-sLKZ.gif

We are kindred spirits in our disdain for people who do that. I had to start getting my shopping delivered because every single time, I'd encounter someone stupid, not just "Well, that was dumb" kind of stupid, I'm talking about having to show the restraint of one of the Queen's Guards to not kick shit out of someone, from groups of people having conversations in doorways, to the time a guy sneezed on my neck.

• Like 1

Is Maxwell Caulfield in Grease 2 the most extreme example of a totally non-ugly ugly duckling in film history?

They don't even try to make him look non-stunningly handsome. I mean, at least Rachael Lee Cook got glasses.

Also, I remember going to a bowling alley as a teenager and one of my friends stupidly started walking down one of the lanes. The manager about lost his fucking shit and came out and started screaming at him. So I got a kick out of the bowling alley dance routine.

• Like 2

I fucking LOVE that Shooter McGavin is in Grease 2

11551-7604.jpg

• Like 2

I fucking LOVE that Shooter McGavin is in Grease 2

11551-7604.jpg

Right at the top of the movie, I had to stop and check IMDB. Yep, Shooter McGavin himself. That's all I could see for the whole movie from that point. I'm not often on the boards for the episodes, but man, do I have questions about this one. SO. Many. Questions. As much as I hate Grease 1 (and to be clear, I hate it with the fire of a thousand burning suns), I'll concede that at least in that one, the songs are ABOUT something and furthering the plot or revealing character. This one: they're just singing any dumb thing that comes into their head about whatever they're doing at that exact moment. "We're bowling! Tonight!" "Hey! That guy's riding a motorcycle! Which is somehow impressive to us, even though our claim to fame is as the campus motorcycle gang!" Also, does it devalue the purpose of highly elaborate "fantasy" musical numbers in a movie where the "climax" of the story is the high school talent show, where somehow ALL of the acts are really elaborate musical numbers? I mean, we also see them rehearse that "Girl Parade" song (whatever) like a million times. And why was Shooter McGavin obsessed with winning the Roy Orbison records in the talent show? Is that what motorcycle JD-types were into in 1961? Really? Roy Orbison? "Crying", "Only the Lonely" Roy Orbison? I'll try to save some of these for the full episode thread, but for real: What. Is. Happening?

• Like 1

And why was Shooter McGavin obsessed with winning the Roy Orbison records in the talent show? Is that what motorcycle JD-types were into in 1961? Really? Roy Orbison? "Crying", "Only the Lonely" Roy Orbison? I'll try to save some of these for the full episode thread, but for real: What. Is. Happening?

To be honest, yes, as hard as it might be to believe today, Roy Orbison was really big in 1961. You have to realize, at this point, rockers like Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochran were already dead, and Elvis had just gotten out of the Army the year before. Orbison, this kind of weird guy who was always wearing sunglasses, was kind of what you had in terms of non-teeny bop Frankie Avalon-type garbage. I mean, it's weird to imagine a Greaser into something like "Only the Lonely," but they were, and that's also ignoring a ton of his material. It would be like taking "Can't Help Falling in Love" and "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" and saying all Elvis did was sappy love songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6G-GdhLP4o

I mean, it might have been better had they chosen someone like Chuck Berry, Little Richard, or Gary U.S. Bonds, but not everyone was ready at that time to fully embrace "Black" music, so it's not exactly crazy that this guy would be more into Orbison.

• Like 7

. As much as I hate Grease 1 (and to be clear, I hate it with the fire of a thousand burning suns), I'll concede that at least in that one, the songs are ABOUT something and furthering the plot or revealing character. This one: they're just singing any dumb thing that comes into their head about whatever they're doing at that exact moment. "We're bowling! Tonight!" "Hey! That guy's riding a motorcycle! Which is somehow impressive to us, even though our claim to fame is as the campus motorcycle gang!" Also, does it devalue the purpose of highly elaborate "fantasy" musical numbers in a movie where the "climax" of the story is the high school talent show, where somehow ALL of the acts are really elaborate musical numbers?

I like musicals to an extent, except when the musical numbers just feel contrived like that. Don't narrate what I'm seeing please, give some substance to the story. (Also looking at you, Frozen.)

......wait Grease 2 climaxes with a school talent show? Is this where Disney's High School Musical came from?!?

• Like 4

I'm not a musical fan either, but the singing in the trailer struck me as pretty awful (and the music was very '80s). I hope that's not just my untrained ear or Paul playing the trailer off Youtube.

• Like 1

Cameron H! Coming thru in the clutch with the correction/omission to my Orbison explanation hope. It seemed such an odd choice to me, but your information actually makes it the one plausible thing in this whole movie. Thanks again!

• Like 3

/dogrant

My anger almost came to a head when I was taking my cat to the vet for annual shots and this fucking asshole walks in with a beautiful golden retriever. He tells the clerk that he is coming in to have the dog put down and I start looking at the dog from where I'm standing to see what's wrong, and can't see anything. The clerk asks why and the dude actually says "well he jumps on the kids and has ruined some furniture and can't take instruction." The clerk looked at him dead eyed while I'm trying my best not to punch this cunt (a word that describes this man to a tee) of a person in the face for being so devoid of a soul, especially since I had recently had to put my cat of eleven years down because his kidneys had failed him and he was slowly dying a painful death. The clerk just looks at him and says he needs to leave because they don't kill animals at that vet, only euthanize animals near death, and that he needs to go to the shelter to put the dog up for adoption. The guy looked at her incredulously like she was insane and then just stormed out. I honestly would have taken the dog off of his hands if I would have been able to care for the dog in my current living situation, but I just had to hope that the piece of shit did one right thing by the dog and took it to a shelter.

20 minutes in and I'm tapping out, this movie is utter shit and I can't believe that it's almost two hours long.

• Like 2

My anger almost came to a head when I was taking my cat to the vet for annual shots and this fucking asshole walks in with a beautiful golden retriever. He tells the clerk that he is coming in to have the dog put down and I start looking at the dog from where I'm standing to see what's wrong, and can't see anything. The clerk asks why and the dude actually says "well he jumps on the kids and has ruined some furniture and can't take instruction." The clerk looked at him dead eyed while I'm trying my best not to punch this cunt (a word that describes this man to a tee) of a person in the face for being so devoid of a soul, especially since I had recently had to put my cat of eleven years down because his kidneys had failed him and he was slowly dying a painful death. The clerk just looks at him and says he needs to leave because they don't kill animals at that vet, only euthanize animals near death, and that he needs to go to the shelter to put the dog up for adoption. The guy looked at her incredulously like she was insane and then just stormed out. I honestly would have taken the dog off of his hands if I would have been able to care for the dog in my current living situation, but I just had to hope that the piece of shit did one right thing by the dog and took it to a shelter.

I think that the way a person treats their pets is a good indicator of the type of person they are. "Cunt of a person" fits the bill in that case.

• Like 2

20 minutes in and I'm tapping out, this movie is utter shit and I can't believe that it's almost two hours long.

Roommate and I watched the first movie and are onto the 2nd and wow, what a difference. They just left the bowling alley and I still don't grasp the plot.

• Like 3

My phone won't let me edit my post, but I wanted to add as terrible as it is, I officially like High School Musical better than Grease 2.

• Like 2

The one thing I really noticed before turning this piece of shit off was that they really tried to overdue the dance numbers with too many dancers. In the opening scene there are numerous cases where there are people who are either not in sync with everyone else, bad dancers, or doing a completely different routine. Grease 1 kept the dance numbers fairly small except for the final dance number, but this one seems to think bigger is better which just isn't the case because there are too many moving parts.

• Like 3

The one thing I really noticed before turning this piece of shit off was that they really tried to overdue the dance numbers with too many dancers. In the opening scene there are numerous cases where there are people who are either not in sync with everyone else, bad dancers, or doing a completely different routine. Grease 1 kept the dance numbers fairly small except for the final dance number, but this one seems to think bigger is better which just isn't the case because there are too many moving parts.

How much of it did you watch?

I think the bowling alley dance scene was the worst. It was cartoony in its execution.

• Like 2

My phone won't let me edit my post, but I wanted to add as terrible as it is, I officially like High School Musical better than Grease 2.

Did you know that Grease 2 was supposed to be the second in a series of four films, as well as a TV series? When number 2 tanked so hard, number 3 was put on ice. For 25 years. When it was finally tweaked. And released as...

• Like 5

Did you know that Grease 2 was supposed to be the second in a series of four films, as well as a TV series? When number 2 tanked so hard, number 3 was put on ice. For 25 years. When it was finally tweaked. And released as...

Are you fucking kidding me holy shit

Thank you my night has been made.

• Like 3

How much of it did you watch?

I think the bowling alley dance scene was the worst. It was cartoony in its execution.

That's where I stopped.

• Like 1

That's where I stopped.

Good. You missed the Reproduction number.

Here's a pic of our cat Bastian trying to tell us to turn this shit off

2iu6xjc.jpg

We finished it.

• Like 2

Growing up my mom had Grease on VHS so I was familiar with it. I never saw the sequel film until today (Thanks, Netflix). Wow. I can't get over the bowling alley spinning and the reproduction number. I feel a bit embarrassed for some of the actors who were in the first film and reprise their roles for this one. Why did the T Birds want to partake in the talent show? Why was Maxwell Caulfield considered just "kinda cute"? What happened after he jumped over the ridge on his motorcycle? (Did I miss the explanation??) I'm looking forward to the episode.

• Like 1

I think that's because Travolta (and much of the original cast) could actually dance. In the first one, I think it paid for them to give everyone space to do their thing, whereas in the second movie, since they couldn't do better, they just went with bigger and just hoped Michelle Pfeiffer's embarrassingly spastastic "dancing" would get lost in the crowd.

grease-2-6.gif?crop=top&fit=clip&h=500&w=698

• Like 1