🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 149.5 - Minisode 149.5

This movie is also the film acting debut of Lorna Luft, Judy Garland's way less talented daughter. I couldn't figure out how we were supposed to feel about her character (Paulette) in relation to Johnny Nogarelli. It seemed like she was set up to be the Rizzo-style character, except she's a fallback for Johnny after he's been dumped by Stephanie. So she allows this guy to treat her like shit for the entire movie, and then be happy that he's settled on her at the end once Stephanie unmasks the Cool RiderTM?

In the world of this movie, this is the same school, but two years later. Familiar characters from the first movie exist (the headmistress, Frenchy???, Eugene??????!) but if we follow the timeline, we must assume that Johnny and Stephanie were sophomores when Danny Zuko and Sandy Newton-John were dancing around in the first one. So HOW HAS SO MUCH CHANGED IN TWO YEARS? Why are they all on motorbikes now? Did car-racing become verboten after the race against the Scorpions in the LA River? By the way, the leader of the bad guy motorcycle gang is the same leader of the bad-guy drag racing gang in the first movie. I want to see a movie starring that guy, showing how he hauled himself up from the humiliation of losing a drag race to Greased Lightning, biding his time over two years, to found an outlaw motorcycle gang, only to be 'defeated' by Cool RiderTM whose superpower seems to be riding at things until they get out of the way or fall down. That's a movie I'd watch.

I have SO MUCH MORE to say about this movie but I really should wait til the ep. Apologies for multiposting.

• Like 5

My anger almost came to a head when I was taking my cat to the vet for annual shots and this fucking asshole walks in with a beautiful golden retriever. He tells the clerk that he is coming in to have the dog put down and I start looking at the dog from where I'm standing to see what's wrong, and can't see anything. The clerk asks why and the dude actually says "well he jumps on the kids and has ruined some furniture and can't take instruction." The clerk looked at him dead eyed while I'm trying my best not to punch this cunt (a word that describes this man to a tee) of a person in the face for being so devoid of a soul, especially since I had recently had to put my cat of eleven years down because his kidneys had failed him and he was slowly dying a painful death. The clerk just looks at him and says he needs to leave because they don't kill animals at that vet, only euthanize animals near death, and that he needs to go to the shelter to put the dog up for adoption. The guy looked at her incredulously like she was insane and then just stormed out. I honestly would have taken the dog off of his hands if I would have been able to care for the dog in my current living situation, but I just had to hope that the piece of shit did one right thing by the dog and took it to a shelter.

That pisses me off so much. Back in July we had to euthanize our 13 year old beagle mutt because the signs pointed to him having a brain tumor and got to the point where he was in really bad shape. It was a big adjustment getting used to life without him, however, this past weekend we adopted an incredibly lovable schipperke mix who is missing his hind leg. Apparently the previous owners didn't take the best care of him and he got hit by a car and didn't get to a vet until 24 hours after he had been hit and had to have the leg removed. It makes me sad to think that this lovable creature would be neglected like that, but he is now with us and has quickly become a member of the family. (I didn't want that to sound like a humble brag, it is a bit of a covert news drop though and we really are happy to have him in our home)

Here's a picture of our new boy Hank:

• Like 3

I have SO MUCH MORE to say about this movie but I really should wait til the ep. Apologies for multiposting.

^^^^ALL of this! I certainly hope they touch upon these in the ep. Especially the switch to motorbikes. I can't wait to discuss everything more in depth.

• Like 2

I fucking LOVE that Shooter McGavin is in Grease 2

11551-7604.jpg

It's like one side of my brain is convinced that he's Joe Piscopo and the other side is like "no you dummy, that's Shooter McGavin" but the side that thinks it's Piscopo is stronger.

• Like 2

That pisses me off so much. Back in July we had to euthanize our 13 year old beagle mutt because the signs pointed to him having a brain tumor and got to the point where he was in really bad shape. It was a big adjustment getting used to life without him, however, this past weekend we adopted an incredibly lovable schipperke mix who is missing his hind leg. Apparently the previous owners didn't take the best care of him and he got hit by a car and didn't get to a vet until 24 hours after he had been hit and had to have the leg removed. It makes me sad to think that this lovable creature would be neglected like that, but he is now with us and has quickly become a member of the family. (I didn't want that to sound like a humble brag, it is a bit of a covert news drop though and we really are happy to have him in our home)

Here's a picture of our new boy Hank:

https://www.instagra.../p/BNm01izAoJk/

Lando, I'm so sorry about your dog! But also I'm happy you were able to give a home to Hank! He's the cutest!!!

I have to agree with tomspanks and Ryan that cunt is a pretty appropriate term for people like that.

I had to put my 15 year old cat down last November and that was the hardest decision I've ever had to make. One day he was normal and the next day he was dying. Still breaks my heart because that was my guy, y'all. We practically grew up together. But a few months ago my mom picked up this tiny stray kitten that had been living on it's own for lord knows how long and that's now my guy. He was riddled with literally everything you could possibly imagine at only 5 weeks old: worms, parasites, fleas, ear mites - which led to infections in both his little ears, digestive issues, missing patches of fur, the whole 9 yards. But now he's a healthy little 6 monther who's about to get his balls taken away just in time for Christmas lol.

This is my Oliver (who I have taken to calling Turd Ferguson)

• Like 4

In a department meeting at work at the moment so sneaking in another post since this is on my mind.

IMDb tells us that the Frenchie character was gradually written out over the course of the film, which explains why she’s not involved later on. But the presence of Frenchie, as a tie back to the past, suggests a strong connection between the T-Birds and Pink Ladies between films. However, Frenchie, who wears a Pink Lady jacket throughout, NEVER interacts with the current group. No one questions this old lady on campus in this exclusive jacket. It reminds me of the Tonehangers in ‘Pitch Perfect’ – old guys who can’t let go of the past who hang around the young kids. Or Zac Efron in ‘Neighbours 2’. But, as I said before, if this Pink Lady club is something people aspire to – like Pamela Adlon brings up in her ambition about what she’ll do when she’s a senior in the Pink Ladies – then surely Stephanie et al know Frenchie from before? And surely, if Michael is Sandy’s cousin, his link to a legendary past Pink Lady must have some cache? And why do Michael and Frenchie never ever discuss their connection to Sandy beyond one token mention? And how are English Michael and Australian Sandy related?

My favourite part is the moment when the headmistress makes her announcement to the school in the first period of the first day of the year, and Frenchie has already constructed a complex, dangerous-looking, exploding chemistry experiment. Within 10 minutes of the first class starting! Okay, okay, enough. Back to the meeting.

• Like 4

Hah, love the nickname Turd Furguson!

For the record, I would have probably called Hank "Lando" if it was solely up to me to name him.

• Like 3

Hah, love the nickname Turd Furguson!

For the record, I would have probably called Hank "Lando" if it was solely up to me to name him.

I legitimately looked at Oliver a month after I named him and went, "Shit I should have named you Darth!"

But Oliver Twist was too perfect of a story to reference when I got him.

• Like 3

I don't think I have paid this little attention to an HDTGM movie since Sharknado 3. I can't think of too many movies where I have cared less about the characters. The school could have exploded and every character would have died and I really wouldn't have cared. I honestly enjoyed The Apple way way more than Grease 2 (and TBH I probably liked The Apple more than most popular musicals). That said, I am trying to decide whether "Reproduction" or "Coming" from The Apple is the more subtle metaphor for sex.

a couple of lines had me really scratching my head, did they think these were supposed to be clever?

"Are you free on Saturday?"

"Of course I'm free. It's in the constitution"

"I gotta write an essay on the fall of Rome. I didn't even know they were in trouble."

• Like 4

The teacher who assigned the essay with the subject of 'The Fall of Rome' and 'William the Conqueror' was really mailing in their syllabus that week. Narrow it down a bit, Rydell.

• Like 4

Has anyone seen the documentary Tab Hunter Confidential? I saw it on Netflix a while back and had added it to my queue because it looked interesting. I haven't watched it yet, but I wonder if it touches upon Grease 2.

I honestly enjoyed The Apple way way more than Grease 2 (and TBH I probably liked The Apple more than most popular musicals). That said, I am trying to decide whether "Reproduction" or "Coming" from The Apple is the more subtle metaphor for sex.

I honestly think the songs in The Apple are a lot catchier than what Grease 2 had to offer. I liked "Coming" better.

The teacher who assigned the essay with the subject of 'The Fall of Rome' and 'William the Conqueror' was really mailing in their syllabus that week. Narrow it down a bit, Rydell.

I feel like I shouldn't be mentioning this before the podcast, but did anyone else find the number of essays they had to write to be ridiculous in general? And they didn't look just like a one or two paragraph essay, they look like they're two page essays with a cover letter. What the hell.

• Like 3

It's like one side of my brain is convinced that he's Joe Piscopo and the other side is like "no you dummy, that's Shooter McGavin" but the side that thinks it's Piscopo is stronger.

I thought it was Joe Piscopo once. ONCE!

jd028.jpg

• Like 3

Lando, I'm so sorry about your dog! But also I'm happy you were able to give a home to Hank! He's the cutest!!!

I have to agree with tomspanks and Ryan that cunt is a pretty appropriate term for people like that.

I had to put my 15 year old cat down last November and that was the hardest decision I've ever had to make. One day he was normal and the next day he was dying. Still breaks my heart because that was my guy, y'all. We practically grew up together. But a few months ago my mom picked up this tiny stray kitten that had been living on it's own for lord knows how long and that's now my guy. He was riddled with literally everything you could possibly imagine at only 5 weeks old: worms, parasites, fleas, ear mites - which led to infections in both his little ears, digestive issues, missing patches of fur, the whole 9 yards. But now he's a healthy little 6 monther who's about to get his balls taken away just in time for Christmas lol.

This is my Oliver (who I have taken to calling Turd Ferguson)

Yeah the only reason I noticed something was wrong with my cat was he started the process of hiding to die, unfortunately right under my bed, where he'd sleep atop at night. By the third day of him hiding I noticed something was up and found him and took him to the vet. They gave him fluids for the day but he was so out of it it was too late, which led to the longest night of my life as he had one more night at home with me leading to putting him down the next morning.

And at this point I want to give a big fuck you to Sarah McLachlan for those goddamn Arms of an Angel commercials. Those things would depress even the peppiest of people. Here's a free tip, if you want people to watch your damn ads, don't show them abused animals and a sad sounding song, show fucking Youtube clips with animals being funny or awesome, that way people don't change the channel to avoid the ad and your message.

• Like 2

You're lucky. I thought Joe Piscopo at first, and then was like, "No, that's...um, that's Michael McDonald. No wait! Christopher McDonald! Christopher McDonald!" But it was too late. The damage was done. Now I can't get "What a Fool Believes" out of my fucking brain. Will I ever know a life that isn't scored by the Doobie Bros? God, I hope so...but, for now, that's my reality...

And now it is YOURS!!!! BWA-HA-HA-HA!!!!

• Like 2

Who's That Guy?

vxdame.jpg

I guess you all know what I watched, and it was fan fucking tastic, best musical since

10fntwn.jpg

so what character would Jason of played in this picture? i've got a good working idea but not sure if most of you have got that sick and twisted of a mind.

• Like 4

Yeah the only reason I noticed something was wrong with my cat was he started the process of hiding to die, unfortunately right under my bed, where he'd sleep atop at night. By the third day of him hiding I noticed something was up and found him and took him to the vet. They gave him fluids for the day but he was so out of it it was too late, which led to the longest night of my life as he had one more night at home with me leading to putting him down the next morning.

And at this point I want to give a big fuck you to Sarah McLachlan for those goddamn Arms of an Angel commercials. Those things would depress even the peppiest of people. Here's a free tip, if you want people to watch your damn ads, don't show them abused animals and a sad sounding song, show fucking Youtube clips with animals being funny or awesome, that way people don't change the channel to avoid the ad and your message.

So sorry to hear. (I'm never quite sure how to react online to a post like this, I "liked" it as a show of sympathy and not as a "like" of what happened.)

• Like 2

You're lucky. I thought Joe Piscopo at first, and then was like, "No, that's...um, that's Michael McDonald. No wait! Christopher McDonald! Christopher McDonald!" But it was too late. The damage was done. Now I can't get "What a Fool Believes" out of my fucking brain. Will I ever know a life that isn't scored by the Doobie Bros? God, I hope so...but, for now, that's my reality...

And now it is YOURS!!!! BWA-HA-HA-HA!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKYQNtF11eg

That would be an improvement. We discovered this YouTube channel called "Little Baby Bum" that CGI animates children's songs and our son loves it (nothing else seems to do it for him). We use it sparingly, but the songs have been rotating through my head for the past week. I would welcome Yah Mo B There.

• Like 1

Well a huge FUCK YOU to the Stateside at the Paramount in Austin for their fucked up system of buying tickets because the TWO shows Paul promoted are already sold out.

They made me wait HALF AN HOUR just to get into the site only to find out the tickets were sold out.

I am so fucking pissed off right now.

• Like 4

Well a huge FUCK YOU to the Stateside at the Paramount in Austin for their fucked up system of buying tickets because the TWO shows Paul promoted are already sold out.

They made me wait HALF AN HOUR just to get into the site only to find out the tickets were sold out.

I am so fucking pissed off right now.

Oh, fuck no!

I was legit going to try and maybe fly out there for that one too. To think you live out that way and still couldn't get in...

Super-mad.gif

• Like 4

vhyfxm.jpg

The venue just announced that because of the demand (and backwards fuckin' system of getting into the damn website I hope) they are moving the shows to the bigger venue next door!

I have so many damn alerts telling me when they update again!

You don't get in between me and my one damn chance to see this show live!

• Like 6

Phew! Surely there's an Earwolf Board Veteran VIP roped-off area, no?

My greatest hope with this Austin live show is that all of the board contributors who are in attendance identify themselves as such during the Q and A sessions. I think having Board All-Stars in the room (particularly if you all went as a group!) would be a huge deal. To us at least.

• Like 7

I hope they pick some good ones for you in Austin. Are there any Austin based bad movies that you know of?

• Like 3