🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 118 — Hologram Toes

Since our last episode with Patton Oswalt was so rudely interrupted, we have asked him back on to discuss his upcoming special, Finest Hour. Unfortunately, in true Comedy Bang Bang fashion we receive an unexpected visit from a stranger so strange I can't even begin to describe who he is, what he does, or how he got to the studio. Our apologies to Patton Oswalt purists: We promise (but cannot guarantee) to have him back soon on a far less gassy episode.

I love it when Patton and Scott develop these psychological origins for the character. It was hilarious in episode 99 with Don Demillo and the whore-house he grew up in, and it was hilarious here when they found the roof connection.

Fantastic stuff. Patton is a great guest and Pepitone was a great improviser.

New diet plan: Whenever you're hungry, listen to this episode. Be nauseated by Al/Bob/Derrick! noises. Lose appetite.

Squealed with excitement when I saw Eddie on today's episode, and then with Patton, I knew there'd be exceptional banter and stuff for EP to work off of. 15 minutes in and loving it.

Was that almost a "What's up hotdog!" at the beginning of the episode? Nice cover, Scott. We all know where you were going with that.

Patton is right. Eddie Pepitone should be a household name. Since he didn't plug his own podcast "The Long Shot" , I thought I'd throw it out there for anybody who wants to here more of Eddie. The show consists of Sean Conroy, Eddie, Amber Kenny, and Jamie Flam. It is probably in my top 3 favorite podcasts with CBB and NNF.

Cosign to Julia Hays, and I'll just add that this is the first time I actually have just fast forwarded to the plugs section (this character was even worse than Bro the drug dealer)

Missing me some Cake Boss, ALW, Hewell Howser, Don Demillo et al....

@dan s... Don't get me wrong, Dan. I enjoyed the character. I just won't be meeting him at the diner anytime soon. Not until he invests in some antacid anyway.

"Was that almost a 'What's up hotdog!' at the beginning of the episode? Nice cover, Scott. We all know where you were going with that."

He also said "Comedy Death-Ray" at the end of the show. Brought a tear to my eye.

I'm not a hater and I hate being "that guy" but I this episode is a huge disappointment to me.

This was hard to listen to.

Patton is by far the best guest to have along with a character guest. He gladly throws his own interview out the window to keep pursuing the character guest for further depths of hilarity. Kudos Patton! (And Eddie as well, also great on this episode).

Excellent show, as always. The haters' words are worth only what they paid for this podcast.

Also, new catch phrase proposal: "What's up, Dot hog?" A quasi-dyslexic play on words, plus a probing question for someone who won't share their rainbow-colored gumdrop candies.

I find it fascinating that people who I DO find really funny (like Scott Aukerman) cite as their inspiration people who I do not find funny at all (Patton Oswalt). I find Patton pretty interesting and I'm sure he's an awesome guy, but yeah... I've never really laughed at anything he's said.

I'm trying to express this as.. just.. a point. Not a criticism or anything.

Eddie Pepitone is such a mensch. He usually focuses on solipsism, indulgence, medicating, and rage - themes central to the American experience. A morbidly obese Homeland Security Marshall, who worries about projecting, eating mashed potatoes with a handgun. In a friggin' nutshell, Eddie.

• Like 1

@BenV - I feel the same about Patton. He's a very pleasant presence on-mic and I find him likable and smart and I like that he's successful but he doesn't make me laugh a whole lot in conversation (although, to be fair, quite a lot of the time it seems like he's not actually trying to). I think it's because he never seems to say anything which surprises me. Doug Benson and Chris Hardwick are the same. Nice guys, fun and funny, but not funnier than your average jokester when it comes to banter.
But then you have your some-kind-of-geniuses like your Howard Kremers and your Tig Notaros. And your Eddie Pepitone, who, even when he's playing pure repulsiveness like he was with Oswalt and Scottabot on this episode, cracks my shit up big time. It's not that every single line was a gem, it's that enough of them were to keep me hanging on. With these people there's a thrill at hearing them be a step or five ahead of what I'm thinking. The thrill of the original thought at the speed of hilarity. The thrill of the unpredictable.

I am a humongous fan of CBB, but this episode was the first time I had a hard time making it through the show. To have Patton in the studio and do essentially nothing while Eddie Pepitone makes fart noises for an hour was infuriating. I get it that the "interruption" is part of the joke, just seems like a waste of time to have Patton there and barely contribute.

Just to clarify re: Patton- since this is the second episode in a row someone's leveled this criticism about what a supposed waste it is to have him just bouncing off a character...

This is what he's wanted to do the last couple of times he's come on. He's requested to be on with both Andy daly and Eddie because it's fun for him to play this role. He's a big CBB fan, and loves the episodes that get into a character's background.

So I just wouldn't critique it based on the show you wished existed- and instead critique it on the show it is.

• Like 4

I will forever remember episode 35 for exactly that, Scott. iBrain was so, so much funnier with Patton's (and your) reactions to the really graphic turns it took.

Point being that he's particularly awesome as the sounding board/straight man for a zany character. The Jon Hamm/Bob Ducca duo comes to mind as well.

Maybe I'd appreciate Patton more if he was the host...? But yeah I wasn't just referring to his appearances on CBB. Just personal taste.

I'm trying desperately not to come off as a whining asshole. I think it's phenomenal that the world famous Scott-o-bot has put out so many amazing episodes (and I rate CBB as pound for pound the funniest property of the past... um.. when did Arrested Development end? We'll go with the past 5 years).

fwiw, I thought the Andy Daly episode with Patton was one of the best ones ever. I guess I'm kind of biased in that I think Andy Daly is an absolute genius at creating awesome CBB characters, I don't really like what Eddie has done on the show so far. This is my favorite podcast and I hate being critical of it, but just want to give some feedback

Sign in to follow this