đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
marginallyclean

Fear (1996)

This 1996 film directed by James Foley (Glengarry Glen Ross) and starring Reese Witherspoon and Mark Wahlberg is an underrated terrible movie. It's also a thoroughly enjoyable watch with the standout scene containing what a friend of mine affectionately refers to as "RCFF." This blog post says it all if you need more convincing.

http://coloradosmovieblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/roller-coaster-of-love.html?zx=d1a5e3ab5cf1e98a

• Like 1

For some reason, my parents took me to see Fear in theaters when it came out. At 10 years old, I was way too young, so it was instantly my favorite movie. It look me a long time to realize just how awful it technically is, but it's a gloriously fun watch, and I'd kill to hear the HDTGM crew rip it apart.

• Like 1

My favorite part from this movie is when Mark Wahlberg carves his chest with the phrase "Nicole 4 Eva" just to get her back!

• Like 1

Plus you get to see Alyssa Milano in one of the few theatrical appearances she did post-"Who's the Boss" and pre-"Charmed", as well as William Petersen pre-"CSI" and Amy Brenneman pre-"Judging Amy".

• Like 1

For some reason, my parents took me to see Fear in theaters when it came out. At 10 years old, I was way too young, so it was instantly my favorite movie. It look me a long time to realize just how awful it technically is, but it's a gloriously fun watch, and I'd kill to hear the HDTGM crew rip it apart.

Heh, you've probably reversed this on them unintentionally at some point. My GF's dad had recently got a blu-ray player and really nice LCD TV at the same point that criterion released a Blade Runner edition. Knowing that he was a sci-fi buff I purchased this for him. EVERYONE insisted this film could not be watched until we were all together. I have to add that they were a little 'born again':

Me: "Heh, I don't remember there being this many bare breasts..."

Everyone else squeezed into a couch for 2: <silence>

Me: "That's so funny...I really didn't realize there were so many bare breasts in this film...<shove face in criterion box as I pretend to examine it>

Worst night of my life, and I'm pretty sure my GF's parents think I'm a pervert. I kept thinking, 'OK, this is one scene in the criterion edition, and we aren't going to have anything else awkward while I'm rubbing elbows with my GF's mom...oh...we ARE...OK...sure, just yank your titties out irrelevant character...". I think I suggested several times that we turn the film off and do something else, but they were pretty adamant jerks about it: "Noooo, you got this FOR US. We should all watch it together. We don't have time for anything else because we need to get to bed as we have some sunday school classes to teach tomorrow..."

• Like 3

God bless girlfriends though. They always think you and their dad are a match made in heaven.

"Please don't make me have to do this."

"I dunno why you're being like this, my parents love you."

"No, your mom just grudginly accepts me and your dad hates me."

"Why would my dad hate you?"

"Well...you know...<a couple hip thrusts>"

"Haha, my dad is not thinking about that..."

"What?! He totally is!"

• Like 3

Oh, definitely want to vote this up, for the roller-coaster scene, for young Mark Wahlberg's absolutely insane-o performance, and the BEHEADED DOG! It's really slickly-directed with lots of talented actors, and it starts out seemingly a little sane, which makes the escalating craziness so much more entertaining.

• Like 2

I joined just to reccomend this movie. We used to watch in repeatedly in college and laugh at so much of it. There are some of the worst editing mistakes I've ever seen in a movie. When Grisham hangs up the phone angrily, it cuts to a different take, mid-slam and the cord is across his body where it wasn't before. And, of course, Nicole 4 eva!!!!

Check this one out. I remember it being so bad it was good but that was when I was 20. It might now be anywhere near as much material to pull apart like Birdemic or Pluto Nash but I remember thinking it was hilariously terrible.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that they're not going to do this movie. They passed on doing The Happening and have ignored Dreamcatcher, both of which feature a Wahlberg. I think Paul is in the pocket of big Wahlburger.

• Like 3

BUMP! They need to do this movie. I saw it in the theater with my then-girlfriend and her friends and I guess one of their friends' moms [or something?]. Even then at the age of fifteen, I knew it was TERRIBLE!

• Like 1

The director, James Foley, is back at the top of Hollywood with Fifty Shades Darker, and he's being advertised to direct the third movie as well. What a weird career. This movie came out just a few years after he made the insanely good Glengarry Glen Ross, and in the very same year as this one he also directed the hilariously bad The Chamber, which was during that Hollywood period of "John Grisham barfs on a napkin and Hollywood greenlights it."

• Like 2

Mark Wahlberg. Reese Witherspoon. CSI’s Gil Grissom. Orgasm Roller Coasters. And best of all....OVERACTING FOR DAYS.

I can’t remember where I caught this movie a couple weeks back, but oh man. During the movie I actually asked “who made this?”  Then it hit me...the trio need to skewer this.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2013 at 8:00 PM, SlidePocket said:

My favorite part from this movie is when Mark Wahlberg carves his chest with the phrase "Nicole 4 Eva" just to get her back!

This whole movie is 800 kinda of nuts.  My favorite part is when Marky Mark is talking to them through the door and the camera is looking at him through the eye hole and he just freaks out. Then goes back to being calm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2015 at 2:14 PM, Lando said:

I have a feeling that they're not going to do this movie. They passed on doing The Happening and have ignored Dreamcatcher, both of which feature a Wahlberg. I think Paul is in the pocket of big Wahlburger.

Big accusations...but I have a feeling you are onto something.

On 2/21/2017 at 8:18 PM, Ofcoursemyhorse said:

William Petersen can't escape this podcast. Either for this, The Skulls or MullHolland Falls.

I forgot about “The Skulls”. What a stupid movie. That movie deserves to get ripped apart.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2018 at 1:59 PM, NitsujRelis said:

This whole movie is 800 kinda of nuts.  My favorite part is when Marky Mark is talking to them through the door and the camera is looking at him through the eye hole and he just freaks out. Then goes back to being calm.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2013 at 4:22 PM, Lauren Tyree said:

At 10?  What did they think they were taking you to see?  A romantic comedy about the fear of being alone?!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this