🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 150 - Grease 2

I literally said "Why are they doing Grease 2? That movie is GREAT!" Totally had the June experience where I watched it a million times on VHS. Was obsessed and still maintain that I like it better than Grease 1 though admittedly I didn't really care for Grease 1.

I enjoy Anna as general being and she's always been herself so I can't fault her. I would have like for June to have more support, but I'm genuinely enjoying this ep.

• Like 1

The reference in the 2nd Opinion/AMAZN reviews to NORTH & SOUTH BOOK THREE: It was a miniseries starring Kirtsie Alley.

BTW, I LOVE DANIEL TIGER'S NEIGHBORHOOD and I use the songs in my life on a daily basis.

A little off topic but...if HDTGM ever does a tv show, it should 100% be North and South.

North and South is fucking insane. It's a Civil War soap opera starring baby Patrick Swayze with all these super famous people randomly showing up. Elizabeth Taylor runs a whorehouse. Robert Mitchum is someone's Irish dad. Johnny Cash plays John Brown. It's a genuinely weird thing.

Book III is bullshit though.

• Like 3

The whole time the British dude was talking I kept thinking that his voice and accent sounded so familiarly fake. Like it was reminiscent of someone else who was putting on a weird accent, and that's when it hit me...

tumblr_n2ycm7jwvV1smv5bco9_250.gif

The entire time I thought it sounded like Damian Lewis as Mr. Grey in Dreamcatcher.

• Like 7

The whole time the British dude was talking I kept thinking that his voice and accent sounded so familiarly fake. Like it was reminiscent of someone else who was putting on a weird accent, and that's when it hit me...

tumblr_n2ycm7jwvV1smv5bco9_250.gif

The entire time I thought it sounded like Damian Lewis as Mr. Grey in Dreamcatcher.

Perfect. We need a mashup of Mr. Grey on a Skidoo to the tune of 'Cool Rider' now.

• Like 3

When Stephanie goes into her fugue state during the talent show she imagines she is singing a duet with the Mystery Rider. When she is done the crowd goes wild. But what where they seeing exactly? Presumably just her half of the song.

Perhaps their just pre-internet trolls

'Yay, she's having a mental breakdown! Bravo!'

• Like 3

Adrian Zmed facts: He ORIGINATED the role of Danny Zuko in the Broadway production of GREASE.

(I've had a lifelong boner for Adrian Zmed)

Barry Bostwick was the original Zuko. Zmed was in the revival in the 90s.

• Like 3

1. Was Michael Carrington living in a shed? In one scene he's at a desk writing one of the T-Bird's essays, but the desk appears to be part of a living space, complete with shelves and cot, inside a tiny metal shelter.

Wasn't that the bomb shelter? I would love is during 'Let's Do It For Our Country' they just panned across and he was still there doing someone's homework. 'It's bad enough that I'm doing your English essay, can I at least do it without you trying to commit a sex crime three feet away!'

• Like 7

He was a replacement Zuko in the very early touring cast - I'm pretty sure he's mentioned in the 'I Was There Too' eps about 'Grease' - as well as the 1990's revival that Fister mentions. Source is here.

• Like 1

Asshole! (sorry, had to, I'm a Rocky fan!)

• Like 4

As much as I hated Grease 2, I loved June's enthusiasm for it. Some of my favorite episodes have been when one of the core HDTGMers enjoys the film in spite of its shittiness.

• Like 6

2ci8dmv.jpg

did jason just say he was into Fisher Stevens..

This is really turning into a love fest.

BTW first movie I ever owned was Raiders of the lost Ark on beta.

see it the way it was made to be seen 20" tv in mono stereo.

• Like 4

As much as I hated Grease 2, I loved June's enthusiasm for it. Some of my favorite episodes have been when one of the core HDTGMers enjoys the film in spite of its shittiness.

I particularly loved Paul's dogged critique of it when you could clearly see that he was forced to tear down something his wife loved: so his tone (same with Zouks) was at times hushed and respectful, fearful of awakening June's wrath. I did enjoy how much June loved it but I had hoped that she might acknowledge its inherent terribleness at the end. Instead, it was mostly a version of Jason saying 'Face/Off' and 'Con Air' are amazing and I haven't changed my mind. I wonder if this would have been a different ep if June wasn't there. (not BETTER, just different. I love June.)

• Like 3

did jason just say he was into Fisher Stevens..

I thought he said Fisher Stevens was the celebrity that most looked like him, and he dated Michelle Pfeiffer, so it meant Jason had a chance.

• Like 5

I think Michelle Pfeffier was coked out all through the movie, hence the sunglasses.

Yeah, they really pushed it

to the limit

I know, I really stretched to make that joke. But it was worth it.

• Like 1

Asshole! (sorry, had to, I'm a Rocky fan!)

I thought you were just calling Fister an asshole and I was gonna say, "Oh no you don't have to apologize for that" :P

• Like 5

I thought you were just calling Fister an asshole and I was gonna say, "Oh know you don't have to apologize for that" :P

YOUR WORDS HURT PEOPLE, TAYLOR ANNE

• Like 4

Easily my favorite part of the movie was when Johnny said they were going to win "100 long-playing albumens". It was so stupid that I found it legitimately funny. But then the T-Birds kept saying albumens through the movie and it lost its charm. They should have left it as one perfect moment.

• Like 3

I am so with Jason on "Hooper." My brother and I were obsessed with that movie!!! When people would talk about Burt Reynolds' awesome car movie from the 70s, I'd say, "Yes, I love it!!!!" Then they'd inevitably say something about "Smokey and the Bandit," and I was like, 'Um, I'm pretty sure it's called "Hooper".' It'd be great if they did that movie. Like June with "Grease 2," it's always fun when one of the HDTGM hosts truly adores the 'bad' movie being discussed.

• Like 2

I just laughed embarrassingly loudly when Paul said "if you like jumping..."

Edit: I finished my grading, guys. I know you were worried.

• Like 7

I haven't finished the episode yet, so I apologize in advance if both these are brought up:

1. I remember reading something about how the actress who played Frenchy said her part was originally cut out of the movie, but not until like halfway through filming. But then the producers decided to put her back in the movie, but couldn't film any more scenes, so they just used what they had. That's why she kind of disappears halfway through the movie.

2. I also remember reading that at one point the Grease franchise was going to have like three or four movies and a TV series, but after the abysmal performance of this movie that was all scraped. There was a semi-finished script written for a Grease 3, of which some elements were used to make High School Musical.

• Like 2

Edit: I finished my grading, guys. I know you were worried.

I hope you started writing song titles as grades. "Reproduction!" being an A+ while "Do It For Our Country" is a straight F.

• Like 6