🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 150 - Grease 2

Completely agreed about the waste of Frenchie, though. Why is she back after two years to take chemistry at her old school yet never interacts with any other students? How utterly dehumanising.

Okay. This is something that kind of stuck in my craw about her whole story. According to her avalanche of exposition in the opening scene, she failed out of beauty school and is now back in Rydell to "get my chemistry so I can mix my own cosmetics."

In response, Michael says, "Makes sense."

NO IT FUCKING DOESN'T.

Like, maybe I'd buy that she was back to get her GED so she could go study Chemistry in college. But there's no way that a chemistry class in high school is going to be enough to teach her the shit she needs to know. I don't even really think that a college one would be super-applicable for making cosmetics, but I would at least be able to suspend disbelief a bit.

Later, they go visit her in the high school chemistry lab, and it has this fucking ridiculous still setup. What school is she at that 1) has this kind of setup and 2) lets her fuck around with it with ZERO supervision?

Side note: I rewatched the opening scene to be sure I had her quote right, and I just want to say that, "What are you going to be when you grow up?" "A burden on society" is a great fucking joke that actually made me laugh out loud.

• Like 8

I roll #teamSandy - back home in Australia she was a national hero. The way they used to market that movie on TV there you'd hardly know John Travolta was in it.

Completely agreed about the waste of Frenchie, though. Why is she back after two years to take chemistry at her old school yet never interacts with any other students? How utterly dehumanising.

Her explanation was funny. She said she was back at Rydell to "get my Chemistry so I can mix my own cosmetics."

Oh sweet Frenchie, you're gonna need more than just high school chemistry. Probably need organic chemistry, microbiology, biology, maybe biochem, not to mention brushing up on FDA's cosmetic laws and regulations like the Cosmetics Good Manufacturing Practices or Packaging and Labeling Act. I'm sure there are a bajillion other considerations that go into developing and selling cosmetics.

v8ccqht.jpg

ETA: Fister Roboto beat me to it.

• Like 6

Taylor Anne, I had typed this whole thing out in response to one of your posts until I realized that we were basically arguing the same point...

gifs-fred-and-george-weasley-16545676-350-151.gif

I feel like we do this a lot

tumblr_nwxyfmZY1o1uh2mkho1_500.gif

• Like 2

Okay. This is something that kind of stuck in my craw about her whole story. According to her avalanche of exposition in the opening scene, she failed out of beauty school and is now back in Rydell to "get my chemistry so I can mix my own cosmetics."

In response, Michael says, "Makes sense."

NO IT FUCKING DOESN'T.

Like, maybe I'd buy that she was back to get her GED so she could go study Chemistry in college. But there's no way that a chemistry class in high school is going to be enough to teach her the shit she needs to know. I don't even really think that a college one would be super-applicable for making cosmetics, but I would at least be able to suspend disbelief a bit.

Later, they go visit her in the high school chemistry lab, and it has this fucking ridiculous still setup. What school is she at that 1) has this kind of setup and 2) lets her fuck around with it with ZERO supervision?

Side note: I rewatched the opening scene to be sure I had her quote right, and I just want to say that, "What are you going to be when you grow up?" "A burden on society" is a great fucking joke that actually made me laugh out loud.

Oh my god. I Didn't even think about this. So she wants to mix cosmetics. IS she going to be a beautician or NOT? Like pick a side, movie.

tumblr_nb7ipqrpjZ1qd4xnro2_500.gif

• Like 6

I'm sitting here, mesmerised by Elektra's T-Birds gif. And all it's doing is cementing one fact in my mind:

In Grease 2, the T-Birds are total dorks.

The Grease 1 T-Birds are (mostly) rock stars. In this one? They're the headmistress's 'boys'! WHAT HAPPENED?

Mesmerised...

• Like 7

I'm sitting here, mesmerised by Elektra's T-Birds gif. And all it's doing is cementing one fact in my mind:

In Grease 2, the T-Birds are total dorks.

The Grease 1 T-Birds are (mostly) rock stars. In this one? They're the headmistress's 'boys'! WHAT HAPPENED?

Mesmerised...

Uhhhhh...Did you miss the part where they're going to be BURDENS ON SOCIETY?

• Like 5

In the musical, the T-Birds are supposed to have a "rumble" (I love the word rumble) with the rival gang the Flaming Dukes (which is a hilarious name that makes me picture them as the Village People). Danny doesn't go because he has to go to track practice, and the T-Birds are disappointed. That's something that was cut from the movie which makes Danny's transition seem more real than the superficial one some posters have seen it as.

But I digress! I think the Grease 2 T-Birds would get their asses handed to them by the Flaming Dukes. Can you imagine? I am and my mental image is hilarious.

I bet Kenickie could've taken them all by himself.

• Like 5

I bet Kenickie could've taken them all by himself.

I agree, but that does beg the inevitable question, doesn't it?

Dance-Gang Rumble!!!! Who wins?

T-Birds (Ver.1) vs. T-Birds (Ver.2) vs. Jets vs. Sharks vs. Dudes in Michael Jackson's "Beat It" video

I know who I have my money on...

200.gif#252

• Like 5

T-Birds (ver.1) vs. T-Birds (Ver.2) vs. Jets vs. Sharks vs. Dudes in Michael Jackson's "Beat It" video

200.gif#252

Sorry, dude. You're 100% mistaken.

tumblr_noa4h2pMmd1r67y7zo4_400.gif

• Like 2

T-Birds (ver.1) vs. T-Birds (Ver.2) vs. Jets vs. Sharks vs. Dudes in Michael Jackson's "Beat It" video

200.gif#252

Get out of my head, chico! I watched West Side Story tonight. Those fight scenes! Nobody rumbles like the Jets and the Sharks.

Also, a C&O that nobody asked for, I would like to point out that a lot of the exterior scenes for West Side Story were filmed on the East Side.

• Like 4

Also, a C&O that nobody asked for, I would like to point out that a lot of the exterior scenes for West Side Story were filmed on the East Side.

My whole life is a lie

• Like 5

giphy.gif

But seriously, I think I'm going to have to watch me some West Side Story this morning...

• Like 4

giphy.gif

But seriously, I think I'm going to have to watch me some West Side Story this morning...

Confession: I grew up watching musical movies and going to see live musicals at Casa Mañana in Fort Worth (back when it was still theater-in-the-round before they remodeled it in the early 00s and fucked it all up). But I've never actually seen West Side Story. I think my mom tried to show it to me when I was a kid, but I just wasn't interested, and I've never revisited it. I'm debating either watching it today or letting it sit until 2017, which my film nerd friends and I have already decided is going to be the Year of the Musical because we're going to try to watch as many musicals as possible.

• Like 3

I'm debating either watching it today or letting it sit until 2017, which my film nerd friends and I have already decided is going to be the Year of the Musical because we're going to try to watch as many musicals as possible.

mxcv0h3r5mkqhda1owyq.gif

Hell yeah! You guys sound like some badass motherfuckers!

Can I please join you? I bought a bunch when iTunes had a sale and so far all I've watched is Singin' in the Rain...

• Like 3

Confession: I grew up watching musical movies and going to see live musicals at Casa Mañana in Fort Worth (back when it was still theater-in-the-round before they remodeled it in the early 00s and fucked it all up). But I've never actually seen West Side Story. I think my mom tried to show it to me when I was a kid, but I just wasn't interested, and I've never revisited it. I'm debating either watching it today or letting it sit until 2017, which my film nerd friends and I have already decided is going to be the Year of the Musical because we're going to try to watch as many musicals as possible.

Watch it today and then in 2017.

I'm gonna watch Thoroughly Modern Millie today.

• Like 4

Like Cameron H said: badass motherfuckers.

• Like 2

Watch it today and then in 2017.

We have plenty of musicals picked out for next year already (including a ton of non-US ones, which is really exciting), so I'm watching it now, and....HOLY SHIT GOMEZ ADDAMS IS IN THIS?!

• Like 3

Like Cameron H said: badass motherfuckers.

Flirting-Doesnt-Always-Have-Subtle-Art.gif

We have plenty of musicals picked out for next year already (including a ton of non-US ones, which is really exciting), so I'm watching it now, and....HOLY SHIT GOMEZ ADDAMS IS IN THIS?!

By the way, I just learned only a few days ago that his son is Sean Astin! Also, hope you can recommend some non-US musical movies in 2017.

• Like 4

By the way, I just learned only a few days ago that his son is Sean Astin! Also, hope you can recommend some non-US musical movies in 2017.

Is there a way that we can turn this into a forum thing or is that intruding too much on your real life, Fister? I was thinking "Musical Mondays" or something? Like I said, I have a bunch purchased, but there are a lot more that I'd like to revisit. Like maybe every week (or on HDTGM off weeks) one of us recommends a Musical and then we trade off in a Round Robin sort of way. We could maybe even see if we can get a separate thread pinned to the front page. I also think we should start right away.

Dare I say it? This could become some kind of "tradition..."

tumblr_n6fywglgdr1tsdd36o1_500.gif

• Like 4

By the way, I just learned only a few days ago that his son is Sean Astin!

1. Holy shit I never made that connection either.

2. Apparently his biological father is Michael Tell.

3. He thought his father was actually Desi Arnaz, Jr for a while.

4. John did adopt him when he was three and Sean still considers him to be his father.

What a roller coaster ride he went on.

• Like 6

1. Holy shit I never made that connection either.

2. Apparently his biological father is Michael Tell.

3. He thought his father was actually Desi Arnaz, Jr for a while.

4. John did adopt him when he was three and Sean still considers him to be his father.

What a roller coaster ride he went on.

What the what now? DESI ARNAZ JR? As in, his grandmother could have been LUCILLE BALL?

• Like 4

What the what now? DESI ARNAZ JR? As in, his grandmother could have been LUCILLE BALL?

Yup! Apparently when Patty Duke was 23 she had a very public relationship with a then 17 year old Desi which Lucille Ball did not approve of lol.

• Like 4

mxcv0h3r5mkqhda1owyq.gif

Hell yeah! You guys sound like some badass motherfuckers!

Can I please join you? I bought a bunch when iTunes had a sale and so far all I've watched is Singin' in the Rain...

You gotta find Seven Brides for Seven Brothers! The songs Sobbin' Women & Bless Your Beautiful Hide are ripe for discussion!

• Like 1

You gotta find Seven Brides for Seven Brothers!

I actually asked for it for Christmas...

04e1f3eb84fba634b5bcacdaefedea94.jpg

Damn you Maltin on Movies!

• Like 3

Is there a way that we can turn this into a forum thing or is that intruding too much on your real life, Fister? I was thinking "Musical Mondays" or something? Like I said, I have a bunch purchased, but there are a lot more that I'd like to revisit. Like maybe every week (or on HDTGM off weeks) one of us recommends a Musical and then we trade off in a Round Robin sort of way. We could maybe even see if we can get a separate thread pinned to the front page. I also think we should start right away.

Dare I say it? This could become some kind of "tradition..."

tumblr_n6fywglgdr1tsdd36o1_500.gif

I think that would be fun! I'm all for watching as many movies as possible, and if it overlaps with my other friends, I don't really care.

I'm going to start up a thread for it so we can chat more about it.

• Like 2