🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
FisterRoboto

Possible Forum Game: Musical Mondays

Do Matthew Lillard and Alicia Silverstone sing in it? I may have blocked that out.

Yes they do. I wanted so much to like it, but it's overall a mess. And Cameron, I totally see where you're coming from as a fellow English (or at least Drama) major - the Shakespeare stuff is good - but the song and dance is entirely out of place.

• Like 1

Typical Aussie... ;)

Hey! I didn't say I liked Australia (the movie, not the continent)! Even though that thing made homesick me cry.

• Like 1

On the subject of animated musicals:

I hate to do this to you guys but given the fact that we're in the forums of a bad movie podcast...

(deep exhale)

Don Bluth made a Little Mermaid ripoff that starred Charo, Gilbert Gottfried and Carol Channing with a score by Barry Manilow.

It's called Thumbelina.

It is miraculously terrible.

Oh yeah I've seen Thumbelina and I HATED IT

I also hated The Swan Princess

Ferngully is much better than both of those combined

• Like 3

Yes they do. I wanted so much to like it, but it's overall a mess. And Cameron, I totally see where you're coming from as a fellow English (or at least Drama) major - the Shakespeare stuff is good - but the song and dance is entirely out of place.

Fuck that! I loved that part too! However, I was the only one of my friends who did. But that's fine. I'm a goddamn rebel.

• Like 1

Oh yeah I've seen Thumbelina and I HATED IT

I also hated The Swan Princess

Ferngully is much better than both of those combined

I had to go through the Disney/Bluth canon in college because my roommate had never seen them (something about Jesus disapproving of movies with magic in them.) We just kind of sat there in shock because of the awfulness. And it has a Mamma Mia earworm thing going for it cause my friends definitely caught me watching Let Me Be Your Wings on YouTube the next day. That whole thing ended with us arguing over whether or not Hunchback of Notre Dame was brilliant or not.

The Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson guys did a version of Love's Labour's Lost for Shakespeare in the Park. It's got some nice songs and stars Tommy Merlyn from Arrow.

http://www.playbill....lost-com-224499

• Like 3

Do Matthew Lillard and Alicia Silverstone sing in it? I may have blocked that out.

On the subject of animated musicals:

I hate to do this to you guys but given the fact that we're in the forums of a bad movie podcast...

(deep exhale)

Don Bluth made a Little Mermaid ripoff that starred Charo, Gilbert Gottfried and Carol Channing with a score by Barry Manilow.

It's called Thumbelina.

It is miraculously terrible.

Huh. I didn't hate Thumbelina.

• Like 2

Huh. I didn't hate Thumbelina.

I've just spent a week defending Grease 2 with all my heart, so I'm not really in a place to argue. Can I just ask though...How long has it been since you've watched Thumbelina?

• Like 3

Man, I do enjoy musicals, but I'm not sure I can keep up with viewing everything. It sounds fun though! I think I'd throw a vote in for Little Shop of Horrors.

Also glad that animated movies are being considered. With that category I'd be tempted to throw in The Beatles Yellow Submarine, because it's so bizarre and I can still unashamedly quote parts of it. Help me.

• Like 4

Yes yes yes yes yes! Especially Beauty and the Beast!

I feel like this one would be fertile ground for Week in Feminism. Looking back at it now, it can be seen as a woman who falls in love with her captor [stockholm Syndrome, if you will], or is this a case of being OVERLY sensitive about children's entertainment? At what point do we say, "This is a children's story, and needn't be held to the same standard as more nuanced entertainment meant to be enjoyed by adults."?

• Like 3

I feel like this one would be fertile ground for Week in Feminism. Looking back at it now, it can be seen as a woman who falls in love with her captor [stockholm Syndrome, if you will], or is this a case of being OVERLY sensitive about children's entertainment? At what point do we say, "This is a children's story, and needn't be held to the same standard as more nuanced entertainment meant to be enjoyed by adults."?

I've seen people discuss this before but when it comes to Beauty and the Beast I find that to be a case of being overly sensitive about children's entertainment lol. The case of Stockholm Syndrome would have more ground if he were evil and then she still fell in love with him.

Also I have an intense love of that movie so I will fight anyone who tries to take that away from me lol.

• Like 5

My biggest problem with that movie is the whole damn castle gets cursed for ten years because an eleven year old is an asshole.

• Like 5

My biggest problem with that movie is the whole damn castle gets cursed for ten years because an eleven year old is an asshole.

Also like how old is Chip? Was he born a cup? Did Mrs. Potts give birth as a teapot to a teacup???

• Like 6

I think if we start getting into the chronology and timeline of that movie, giant cracks form and the WTF moments are everywhere. Probably best just to enjoy it for the songs and the characters and the like. Logic has no role here. :P

Edit: like, as Taylor says, logic about porcelain midwifery.

• Like 3

Edit: like, as Taylor says, logic about porcelain midwifery.

I have not laughed as hard as I just did at "porcelain midwifery" in a very long time

laugh.gif

• Like 4

I have not laughed as hard as I just did at "porcelain midwifery" in a very long time

laugh.gif

17716-now-i-can-retire-cUuN.gif

• Like 3

I've seen people discuss this before but when it comes to Beauty and the Beast I find that to be a case of being overly sensitive about children's entertainment lol. The case of Stockholm Syndrome would have more ground if he were evil and then she still fell in love with him.

Also I have an intense love of that movie so I will fight anyone who tries to take that away from me lol.

I actually agree, but you guys know how things are these days. I think of myself as being very progressive, but I can't comment on ANYthing on social media without somebody taking issue.

• Like 1

I actually agree, but you guys know how things are these days. I think of myself as being very progressive, but I can't comment on ANYthing on social media without somebody taking issue.

I'm offended you think that...

• Like 3

I've just spent a week defending Grease 2 with all my heart, so I'm not really in a place to argue. Can I just ask though...How long has it been since you've watched Thumbelina?

Oh, only 15 years.

• Like 2

I was watching West Side Story this morning, and during "Gee, Officer Krupke" I noticed these lyrics:

My father is a bastard,

My ma's an SOB,

My grandpa's always plastered,

My grandma's selling tea...

When I heard that, I couldn't help but be reminded of another young man from the mean streets of New York who was also very concerned about "tea."

HINY%2B2.jpg

Do you think Pretzie used to be a Jet?

• Like 2

Okay guys. Here's the rotation I've worked up so far:

Fister

Cameron H

tomspanks

Taylor Anne Photo

Cakebug Tranch

I just went in order of who said they were in first. Since this week is shorter than usual, let's just go with a movie that's very well-known and easily accessible: Hedwig and the Angry Inch!

Judas Priestly recommended it, and even though I watched it very recently, I feel like it's a good one to start with because it's fucking fantastic. Is this cool with everyone?

• Like 4

Okay guys. Here's the rotation I've worked up so far:

Fister

Cameron H

tomspanks

Taylor Anne Photo

Cakebug Tranch

I just went in order of who said they were in first. Since this week is shorter than usual, let's just go with a movie that's very well-known and easily accessible: Hedwig and the Angry Inch!

Judas Priestly recommended it, and even though I watched it very recently, I feel like it's a good one to start with because it's fucking fantastic. Is this cool with everyone?

Sounds great! I've been wanting to see that one!

• Like 2

I'm a bit late to the party but I'm definitely in.

If we're doing good movie musicals, then I'm throwing in Phantom of the Opera (I don't care what people say 13 yr old me was obsessed) and if we're doing bad musicals then Repo! The Genetic Opera which I'm shocked hasn't been on HDTGM yet.

• Like 3

I'm a bit late to the party but I'm definitely in.

If we're doing good movie musicals, then I'm throwing in Phantom of the Opera (I don't care what people say 13 yr old me was obsessed) and if we're doing bad musicals then Repo! The Genetic Opera which I'm shocked hasn't been on HDTGM yet.

We're doing both good and bad :)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this