🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
FisterRoboto

Possible Forum Game: Musical Mondays

I'm a bit late to the party but I'm definitely in.

If we're doing good movie musicals, then I'm throwing in Phantom of the Opera (I don't care what people say 13 yr old me was obsessed) and if we're doing bad musicals then Repo! The Genetic Opera which I'm shocked hasn't been on HDTGM yet.

I taught an adaptation theory class years ago and very foolishly picked The Phantom of the Opera (along with Romeo and Juliet and War Horse) as a case study, which meant we examined all versions of that thing for four weeks. Terrible mistake, particularly when you place that movie (Gerard Butler WHAT?) up alongside the rest of the versions of the story. My students were thrilled to move on to War Horse, and that's a puppet show based on a children's book.

Far be it from me to argue with memories from being 13 though!

• Like 2

I taught an adaptation theory class years ago and very foolishly picked The Phantom of the Opera (along with Romeo and Juliet and War Horse) as a case study, which meant we examined all versions of that thing for four weeks. Terrible mistake, particularly when you place that movie (Gerard Butler WHAT?) up alongside the rest of the versions of the story. My students were thrilled to move on to War Horse, and that's a puppet show based on a children's book.

Only musical versions? There were at least two horror movie versions. One by Dario Argento, one of my favorite directors whose lesser-films could be HDTGM episodes (but they seem to stay away from foreign flicks), and one starring Robert "Freddy Krueger" England which I haven't seen but I hear is a pretty good horror movie. [grade THAT run-on sentence, Prof!]

Okay guys. Here's the rotation I've worked up so far:

Fister

Cameron H

tomspanks

Taylor Anne Photo

Cakebug Tranch

I just went in order of who said they were in first. Since this week is shorter than usual, let's just go with a movie that's very well-known and easily accessible: Hedwig and the Angry Inch!

Judas Priestly recommended it, and even though I watched it very recently, I feel like it's a good one to start with because it's fucking fantastic. Is this cool with everyone?

*gasp!* "Look what you've done..." I only just now saw this! This is actually a very emotional movie for me. Driving to a family holiday recently Midnight Radio came up on the iPod and my wife and I both almost cried.

• Like 3

How is this going to work? Is one of us going to start a new topic for the movie under discussion? And are we starting this coming Monday?

• Like 1

How is this going to work? Is one of us going to start a new topic for the movie under discussion? And are we starting this coming Monday?

I think we should just do it on this thread simply because--while this is open to any forum poster/HDTGM listener who wishes to participate--it's kind of our own thing. I'm not sure if either Earwolf or HDTGM would be too happy if we kind of hijacked their forums to talk about movies they have no intention of ever covering. I think we should keep it limited to this thread, and when we do a new movie, whoever's pick it is, should just post a picture of the movie poster or something. That way, should anyone need it, there's a visual bookmark for them to reference. Does that sound good or does anyone have a better suggestion?

And, yes, we start on Monday. FWIW--you can purchase it for only 6.99 right now on Amazon Prime and rent it for the standard 2.99, which was cheaper than iTunes. I also think it's free on the Starz if you get the add-on subscription on Amazon or do their 7 day free trial.

• Like 2

Only musical versions? There were at least two horror movie versions. One by Dario Argento, one of my favorite directors whose lesser-films could be HDTGM episodes (but they seem to stay away from foreign flicks), and one starring Robert "Freddy Krueger" England which I haven't seen but I hear is a pretty good horror movie. [grade THAT run-on sentence, Prof!]

Ha ha, no, I went from the Gaston Leroux novel through the Lon Chaney vehicle, and we did indeed look in on Argento and the Englund version - as well as one with Charles 'Tywin Lannister' Dance - before finishing up in the musical and all of its versions - even the astonishing - ASTONISHING - sequel. We also did comic book versions, if memory serves. It is not a book that stands up to rigorous scrutiny, let's just say.

• Like 2

*gasp!* "Look what you've done, you gigolo" I only just now saw this! This is actually a very emotional movie for me. Driving to a family holiday recently Midnight Radio came up on the iPod and my wife and I both almost cried.

FTFY

• Like 1

It's a bonkers film but I was obsessed with it I watched it so many times that my mum "accidently" broke the dvd

Although I'm not taking part in the game, I HIGHLY recommend "Metalocalypse: The Doomstar Requiem" it's a Rock Opera that has songs from crazy Death Metal, to a Disney Princess style ballad to an electro-pop number, all the songs are fantastic

This one is a personal favourite

https://youtu.be/icLZR4JjsZY

To celebrate the 30th anniversary of Little Shop of Horrors the staff at IMDB picked their favorite movie musicals! I hope it's not a ranked list because #5 throws me off.

• Like 3

To celebrate the 30th anniversary of Little Shop of Horrors the staff at IMDB picked their favorite movie musicals! I hope it's not a ranked list because #5 throws me off.

Can't be. Unless the person who compiled it is June, they wouldn't have ranked Grease 2 before Grease 1. Also, Brave is totally not a musical...unless movies that have one song that a character doesn't even sing are considered "Musicals" now. If so, that busts this thing wide open.

• Like 2

Also, Brave is totally not a musical...unless movies that have one song that a character doesn't even sing are considered "Musicals" now. If so, that busts this thing wide open.

I was wondering about that! I've never seen Brave but I had no memory of it ever being classified as a musical!

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this