🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Chris Piers

RoboCop 3 (1993)

Pretty awful film. I just checked Rotten Tomatoes and it is at a pitiful 4%. Four percent!

This movie is a no question for this podcast unlike the other two its rated pg-13 and robocop isn't seen for about 20 min into the film, well except for the action figure the little kid has. That's another thing this little kid isn't given a backstory she just has a computer and can hack the other robotic robots within seconds please do this movie

Hot on the heels of the marginally entertaining reboot of the 80's satirical sci-fi classic, RoboCop, I nominate RoboCop 3 for the HDTGM treatment.

Corny, cartoonish, sadly cynical, PG-13'ed, and be-jetpacked, RoboCop 3 is one of the most mind boggling movies ever made. Given that this film is the second sequel to a franchise that began basically as a comedy bloodbath with robots in it, how did this third film devolve this franchise so horribly cheesy and awful?

Testify:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv5Tc2xgQYg

Added bonus: This movie has it's defenders. Check the comments section of the YouTube video above. Image what the 5-star Amazon reviews will reveal.

I was thinking the same thing, perhaps a double header with the reboot. I went to see the new one, and they'd basically made a movie about the robot in the Simpsons that says "WHY?! WHY WAS I PROGRAMMED TO FEEL PAIN?!"

• Like 1

The one thing that I can say about the reboot is that it is better than most of the recent remakes, but that isn't saying much. It basically took the whole essence of the original where a machine relearns that it is human and makes it with a guy who realizes from the start that he's basically wearing a large body prosthetic. Add to the fact that they remove the satire and violence that was a cornerstone of the original, and it was just a cheesy action flick.

The third Robocop is nuts in how much they altered from the previous two. Killing the partner in the first 30 minutes, a lame child sidekick, and a fucking jetpack are just the tip of this shitty iceberg.

Wow they made three of these movies! I got lost with the second one. The first one with Ray Wise from Twin Peaks is a classic.

the second one was so bad it lost me altogether.

This one is bland and dumb, but the 2nd one is just one WTF moment after another. Maybe they can do a double-bill.

This one is bland and dumb, but the 2nd one is just one WTF moment after another. Maybe they can do a double-bill.

Frank Miller (he of Sin City and The Spirit) originally wrote the script, which then went through the rewrite machine. So he too his original ideas and wrote a comic book, which is the typical Miller style of shallow ultra-violent dude commits ultra-violence, and features WHORES.

One is good. Two is less good. Three has a different actor as Robocop, so what's the point?

It does have a Supporting Actor Grab Bag in Bradley Whitford, Rip Torn, Stephen Root, and CCH Pounder.

I am gonna go ahead and admit that I love the second Robocop almost as much as the first. The third was still shit though.

Frank Miller (he of Sin City and The Spirit) originally wrote the script, which then went through the rewrite machine. So he too his original ideas and wrote a comic book, which is the typical Miller style of shallow ultra-violent dude commits ultra-violence, and features WHORES.

Frank Miller is a straight-up terrible person.

• Like 1

Even the TV series was better than Robocop 3, plus it featured a kickass end theme:

Also, a cyberspace Andrea Roth.

It does have a Supporting Actor Grab Bag in Bradley Whitford, Rip Torn, Stephen Root, and CCH Pounder.

And Jeff Garlin.

Ryan Sz your Jeff Garlin point out made me look this up on imdb. he is listed as playing Jeff Garlin as Donut Jerk LOL too funny.

where the hell did you guys see this movie, is it playing on netflix or something because I never seen it the first time around when it had gone right to cable. did it even make the theater?

I'll buy that for a dollar, no really I've only got one dollar to spend on this crappy film so it better be on itunes 99c store.

And Jeff Garlin.

Jeff Garlin?! Ha! Now I'm picturing Larry David as Robocop, "Whatta ya think, Jeff? This gun coming out of my thigh. I'm not sure that's the best way to go. I've gotta wait for the compartment to open up. That's precious seconds where I'm just waiting to get my gun. But overall, the suit is prettyyyyyy prettyyyyy good."

• Like 1

Yeah Garlin's sole joke was what I liked most in that shitty movie. I just remember catching it on TV a while back and seeing that part and recognizing him along with one of the guy's from Pirats of the Caribbean being the doughnut shop robber.

I can only remember the first one, I'll buy that for a dollar! and my favorite one , Lewis are you ok? I'm shot. it's ok they can fix you, they can fix anything. kind of reminds of our medical world we are building, where the cure is worse than the disease.

Bitches leave is still one of my favorite quotes, because Kurtwood Smith did such an excellent job as the villain.

• Like 1

Bitches leave is still one of my favorite quotes, because Kurtwood Smith did such an excellent job as the villain.

Yes! And when he says "Can you fly, Bobby?" then throws Bobby out of the van.

I hope they do Robocop 3. Its a good excuse to watch it.

Yes! And when he says "Can you fly, Bobby?" then throws Bobby out of the van.

I hope they do Robocop 3. Its a good excuse to watch it.

There is no good excuse to watch Robocop 3. Other than self-torture.

There is no good excuse to watch Robocop 3. Other than self-torture.

This movie and everyone involved in it's creation deserve all of the retribution HDTGM can dish out.

Because I know everybody cares so much about my totally great opinions, here are my thoughts on the remake from another forum I post on. I'm putting this here because, if you are aching for some robots-shooting-bad-guys-action enough to be tempted to watch Robocop 3, I think you should go see the remake instead...

"Fuck all y'all naysayers, this is just a kick ass action movie. Sure, it is a vastly different beast than the original, but in that film, the titular Robocop (and the outlandish violence) was a vehicle for Verhoeven's satire. Alex Murphy wasn't really a character, but a focal point for the events and other characters to act around. In this version, Murphy is clearly the focus of the plot and the commentary stems from him rather than around him.

The subjects of media hype, security versus freedom, and the use of automated drones have made Robocop, in my opinion, ripe for remaking or rebooting for several years now. Yes, the original is still outstanding and is not surpassed by the remake, but that does not mean this movie sucks. It's an action film that manages to have something to say while being, above all else, a shitload of fun. The cast is splendid, the effects are good, and the violence is well-choreographed. I guess you can complain that the frequent use of non-lethal bullets and exploding drones in lieu of bullet-ridden gangsters was an unnecessary acquiescence to get a PG-13... but I kinda feel that, if somebody really did build a policing robot, it probably would have a shitload of non-lethal weaponry at its disposal. It would be bad publicity for a robodrone to be piling up corpses of Occupy Wall Street hippies or something if it didn't have to.

Speaking of bad publicity, the amount of crap this movie has gone through to get made (difficulty casting, studio interference, script revisions, etc.) makes how good this actually is kind of remarkable. So kudos for that. I also appreciate how a scumbag media entity is named "Novak." Nice touch.

Joel Kinnaman is great as Robocop and as Murphy, but having Michael K. Williams in this makes me want to have HIM star in his own bad ass motherf*cker action role. I'm not saying make him Robocop, but something. It's fucking Omar, yo. Give him some guns and some bad guys to kill! "