🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
SlidePocket

Collateral Beauty (2016)

Will Smith has a new movie out this week where he communicates with Love, Time and Death after grieving the loss of his daughter. You think with Smith, and the rest of the cast like Edward Norton, Kate Winslet, Helen Mirren, Keira Knightley and Michael Pena, there would be something decent coming out of it, right? You're wrong, the trailers lied to us!

In the actual movie, Love, Time and Death are actually a trio of actors that were hired by Smith's best friends from his ad agency in order to make him look like he's crazy so they can take his job away from him! Not only is the film flopping with critics (14% on Rotten Tomatoes) and misfiring at the box office ($7 million opening weekend, making it Will Smith's lowest wide opening), this is one of the worst movies in all of the respective actors' careers ever!

Will Smith has a new movie out this week where he communicates with Love, Time and Death after grieving the loss of his daughter. You think with Smith, and the rest of the cast like Edward Norton, Kate Winslet, Helen Mirren, Keira Knightley and Michael Pena, there would be something decent coming out of it, right? You're wrong, the trailers lied to us!

In the actual movie, Love, Time and Death are actually a trio of actors that were hired by Smith's best friends from his ad agency in order to make him look like he's crazy so they can take his job away from him! Not only is the film flopping with critics (14% on Rotten Tomatoes) and misfiring at the box office ($7 million opening weekend, making it Will Smith's lowest wide opening), this is one of the worst movies in all of the respective actors' careers ever!

Might want to make that a spoiler post. Other than that holy shit that is a twist that is no way hinted at in the trailers. Though I have to admit that this is becoming a more common trend in trailers and TV spots, as I just saw the final TV spot for Nocturnal Animals and rather than show it as a story within a story film, it was treated like a revenge flick with the lead character going after guys who kidnapped his wife and daughter. The trailers might be more egregious for Beauty though as this is shown as a drama with some magical elements to it, not what you had stated.

• Like 1

HAHA, oh my... I just remembered seeing a trailer for this months ago in theatres. I remember being completely amazed by the bad-potential of it and thinking 'Theres no fucking way hes talking to not one but several abstract concepts. Cause like, why the fuck would Love and Time ever need to have conversations between themselves? He must be getting gas-lighted by a bunch of people in some twisted form of therapy.' To know that it's actually some elaborate but classic form of gas lighting just to get someone's job makes it that much better.

• Like 1

I didn't mind the Seven Pounds twist so much outside of the death by jellyfish scene, because at least it made a bit of sense in that the Will Smith was wanting to repent for what he did by giving pieces of himself to people who could do better with those pieces. This on the other hand after reading some reviews, which are so mad at this movie they are just spoiling the hell out of it, this movie has such an over the top way of making a person seem crazy that it completely takes you out of the main conceit of the movie. It's amazing that Will Smith has fallen so hard from being the king of summer movies to now basically only having a hit when it's part of a bigger group of people characters.

His ego has always been a problem where he started a habit of choosing the wrong movie (Wild, Wild West instead of The Matrix and After Earth instead of Django Unchained, among others) that now he's sullied his draw power so much he can't get many good movies that can use his star power as well as they could have. He's also apparently still trying to get an Oscar by doing this movie because you can tell that they are pushing so hard for this as Oscar bait in the worst way possible.

• Like 1

Might want to make that a spoiler post. Other than that holy shit that is a twist that is no way hinted at in the trailers. Though I have to admit that this is becoming a more common trend in trailers and TV spots, as I just saw the final TV spot for Nocturnal Animals and rather than show it as a story within a story film, it was treated like a revenge flick with the lead character going after guys who kidnapped his wife and daughter. The trailers might be more egregious for Beauty though as this is shown as a drama with some magical elements to it, not what you had stated.

Well, it isn't so much a twist as it is VERY deceitful marketing. I haven't seen the film in its entirety, but I work at a theater and have seen parts of it, including a scene VERY early on where they're explaining the job, which I guess COULD have had the potential to be more interesting if the trailer hadn't sold you on something completely different, which totally changes the story.

Yeah I don't mind learning the truth about it as it saves me $11 even more. This movie looks aawwwfffuuuullll and I will only see it if they cover it for HDTGM.

I'm going to throw it out there...the cinematic world would be better served if Sir Smith had retired after the documentary chronicling his days as a Bel Air aristocrat. I admittedly haven't seen many of his films, but what I have seen isn't up to snuff.

• Like 2

Yeah the one real positive out of this whole situation is that basically everyone is calling out the makers of this ad campaign for how false leading the commercials have been.

• Like 2

Okay holy shit, I just read the wiki on this and the ending has multiple twists piled onto it and might as well be telling the audience "fuck you for watching this." Since spoilers have been thrown out the window in this thread it basically boils down to

while the audience is led to believe that the three entities are actually actors hired to make Will Smith seem crazy, they actually are those entities. Also Smith actually thanks who should be his former best friends for duping him into believing the actors-pretending-to-be- entities-but-are-actually-entities were entities in order to wrangle his company from his control. Then you have Smith attending a grief group to get over the death of his daughter where he meets Naomi Harris who lost a daughter to cancer and was then left by her husband. This relationship is then muddled by the fact that they were previously married and their daughter caused Smith to leave her wanting them to become strangers to each other once again, which makes so much zero fucking sense that it becomes negative sense. The idea that these two people could be divorced and have a daughter that has died, but play up this whole stranger angle is just fucking infuriating.

This movie can eat a dick!

• Like 1

Okay holy shit, I just read the wiki on this and the ending has multiple twists piled onto it and might as well be telling the audience "fuck you for watching this." Since spoilers have been thrown out the window in this thread it basically boils down to

while the audience is led to believe that the three entities are actually actors hired to make Will Smith seem crazy, they actually are those entities. Also Smith actually thanks who should be his former best friends for duping him into believing the actors-pretending-to-be- entities-but-are-actually-entities were entities in order to wrangle his company from his control. Then you have Smith attending a grief group to get over the death of his daughter where he meets Naomi Harris who lost a daughter to cancer and was then left by her husband. This relationship is then muddled by the fact that they were previously married and their daughter caused Smith to leave her wanting them to become strangers to each other once again, which makes so much zero fucking sense that it becomes negative sense. The idea that these two people could be divorced and have a daughter that has died, but play up this whole stranger angle is just fucking infuriating.

This movie can eat a dick!

Yeah, from what I understand, the twist is that you kind of ARE watching the movie from the trailer after all, after the whole movie told you that you weren't.

I gotta up that.

And wanna thank SlidePocket who, while spoiling what happens in the first ten minutes, gave me the force to see it in the theaters with another fan of the podcast. We had to see it to believe it.

And I can already picture it. June saying she cried. Jason yelling "it all adds up". And Paul trying to make sense of the rules.

I will not go into spoil territory because there is WAY TOO MUCH TO SAY.

It feels like the script was either too "reality based" (the con) or too "Christmast-ey" (the magic) and they decided to mash everything together. And it simply does not work. At all.

It might be a tough watch because it takes itself so seriously (Will Smith is so committed it becomes embarrassing - he cries non-stop), but as soon as you try to uncover the layers of the twists and what doesn't add up, it makes for a wonderful time.

The podcast would be along the lines of Timothy Green, but I feel the movie breaks so much of its own universe to tell its story that it's as confusing as Winter's Tale.

Please please please make this movie on the podcast as soon as it comes out on iTunes.

It will make for a great episode and I cannot wait to hear June saying she LOVED it.

• Like 2

Based on the trailer alone I can tell, i am going to cry my eyes out watching this.

I hate to scare you all but I think I maybe this guy Howard.

Dear Mcdonalds,

at 17 of jan of 2017 at 10:30am I ordered a Breakfast sandwich, it was over cooked and not serviced on time. and there was nothing scottish sir about that Breakfast sandwich!

You have dishonored the clan of Mcdonalds house.

btw, I didn't really send that, but the story is true.only the names and dates, persons have been changed.

• Like 1

Based on the trailer alone I can tell, i am going to cry my eyes out watching this.

I hate to scare you all but I think I maybe this guy Howard.

Dear Mcdonalds,

at 17 of jan of 2017 at 10:30am I ordered a Breakfast sandwich, it was over cooked and not serviced on time. and there was nothing scottish sir about that Breakfast sandwich!

You have dishonored the clan of Mcdonalds house.

btw, I didn't really send that, but the story is true.only the names and dates, persons have been changed.

Explain yourself.

Black Mirror's White Christmas.Is what I think you meant to say.

No no, I really meant the level of confusion of this bonkers movie (which was a great episode).

Winters-Tale-br-us.jpg

This might be a great double feature with Serenity... all star cast, crazy twist and misleading trailer. 👍🏻

• Like 2