🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 1 (Cameron H's Choice)

Hey everyone!

So this was hard. I have a ton of movies I'd like to do, but seeing as this is only our sophomore week I was struggling to find a movie that would be tonally different from Hedwig but not, like, a bummer (or slog) to get through.

Eventually, though, I settled on Hairspray (2007) when I read that Dick Latessa died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ53mRO80c0

Never seen it, but it looks fun to me.

is this the John Travolta version I was so pissed off when i heard they remade this movie. after all divine is such a musical godus.

I looooove the 80s John Waters film so I am with you in that Travolta just brings up all of the rage.

I don't know that I'll revisit this film because there are only a few parts that make it worthwhile (Queen Latifah and Michelle Pfeiffer being big plusses) but I would love to go into why the casting of Edna Turnblad shows a spotlight on why Hollywood doesn't understand Divine, John Waters, or the transgender, cross-dressing, and drag queen communities.

• Like 1

Wow...is this movie really that terrible? If we have a consensus that nobody wants to do it, I'll pick another. I don't want to be the only person watching it...

Is the 1988 version a musical? If so, I'd be happy to switch it with that. I haven't seen either, so I really don't know. I just know the 2007 was based on the stage musical...

Tell you all what, let me know by the end of the day what you all think. We can proceed with Hairspray or not. I don't really care. I have plenty of substitutes :)

Oh no I think Hairspray is considered good and popular! I just happen to have seen it after the original and that was probably a mistake because the original is soooo good! According to Wikipedia the 88 version is a musical though lol.

Part of these discussions have to be how things stack up to the original, right?

• Like 1

Oh no I think Hairspray is considered good and popular! I just happen to have seen it after the original and that was probably a mistake because the original is soooo good! According to Wikipedia the 88 version is a musical though lol.

Part of these discussions have to be how things stack up to the original, right?

Well, I thought about that too. One of the reasons I chose it was that I thought it was available on Netflix. Turns out, though, it's the '88 version that's on Netflix. I mean, I MAY, watch the ''88 version, the '07 version, and the LIVE version that's on Hulu for the sake of comparison. It just depends on the time I have and whether or not I even like it.

I have to admit I haven't seen the 07 Hairspray in quite a while. Maybe I should give it another try.

• Like 1

The 2007 version was pretty well received and earned a couple of award nominations including the Screen Actors Guild for Best Ensemble, and Golden Globe nods for Best Picture (Musical or Comedy), Best Actress for Nikki Blonsky and Best Supporting Actor for John Travolta.

• Like 1

Is the 1988 version a musical? If so, I'd be happy to switch it with that. I haven't seen either, so I really don't know. I just know the 2007 was based on the stage musical...

Tell you all what, let me know by the end of the day what you all think. We can proceed with Hairspray or not. I don't really care. I have plenty of substitutes :)

I'll watch it. James Marsden <3

• Like 1

it's no Phantom Of The Paradise but it does have Christopher Walken in it so it's ok in my books as far as that goes. I do agree with "taylor anne photo" The John Waters films are all classics in there own league and should not be messed with. I only hope John Waters got a shit load of money for selling his movie into a musical theater number. Good for him.

• Like 1

it's no Phantom Of The Paradise but it does have Christopher Walken in it so it's ok in my books as far as that goes. I do agree with "taylor anne photo" The John Waters films are all classics in there own league and should not be messed with. I only hope John Waters got a shit load of money for selling his movie into a musical theater number. Good for him.

Christopher Walken was delightful in this movie. One of my favorite scenes is when Tracy goes to find Wilbur sleeping by himself after the misunderstanding with Velma von Tussle, he moves around and farting noises are heard. He explains it's from a bed made up of whoopee cushions. Then, a separate farting noise is heard, but he says that this time it was him. It cracks me up because he didn't have to tell the truth about that, but does anyway.

The main reason I love this character is that he has so much love for his family. He never stops encouraging Tracy to follow her dreams. On top of that, he's so in love with Edna. When they're singing You're Timeless to Me, you can practically see hearts shooting out of his eyes the way he looks at her.

I was looking at the imdb page of the director, Adam Shankman, and his next project is Disenchanted. I had no idea there was a sequel planned for Enchanted, but I'm kind of loving that it's called Disenchanted.

• Like 1

Hi guys sorry I missed last week I'm in rural Cambodia and we lost electricity for most of the week, I love hairspray and I'm in for either version as long as we don't have to watch the live NBC one from a month ago.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this