🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 152.5 - Minisode 152.5

Grease 2, love it or hate it, we’re going to talk about it. Categories cut from this year’s HOWDIES. Plus, everyone’ favorite: STATS! Paul also goes through Corrections and Omissions for Grease 2, Blake J. Harris interviews director Patricia Birch about the making of Grease 2, and the Movie Bitches review Nocturnal Animals. And we will be traveling to a post-apocalyptic Los Angeles for our next movie!

Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisgetmade.bigcartel.com

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

Paul is in the new Nicolas Cage film “Army of One” available on VOD.

Paul’s new comedy Filthy Preppy Teen$ is now avail on the FullScreen and you can see June and Paul in their old show NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. Paul also appears on Fresh off the Boat on ABC.

June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

And that's the year 2016 drawn to a close in the HTDGM universe. Been an interesting one. We had perhaps my favourite all time episode with the "Bloodsport" episode, had the listenership on the brink of turning on each other over the "Can't Stop The Music" episode, which then was brought back around over the Coconut debate. No Sharknado episode because they've driven the joke into the ground and I still haven't gotten the Mortal Kombat: Annihilation episode.

So, I'm looking forward to next year.

Just, for me, do episodes for Mortal Kombat: Annihilation and Ready to Rumble, just for me to lose my shit with corrections and omissions in a veritable nerdgasm smorgasboard of enthusiasm.

• Like 3

I can't wait to hear what they have to say about Escape from LA. I used to love this movie in high school and college, even though I knew it was horrible.

• Like 1

i put together the Q&A cut but it was a bit long so they cut it. if you have time listen to the second half ... i love the donald duck answer and the bop-she-bob bit ... hilarious

https://soundcloud.com/dontmindme41/paul-scheers-q-a-best-of-super-cut

and i made a cut of jason's intro's to the live shows ... what's up jerks

https://soundcloud.com/dontmindme41/hdtgm-jasons-crowd-greetings-compilation

does anyone have a cut that wasn't played ... i loved the ones featured during the eps. they gave me an idea for my 2017 challenge ... i rarely listen to episodes more than once and i only re-listened to the minis again to put the Q&A cut together so in 2017 i'm going to try and listen to every mini and episode .. that will be over 10 days of listening by the end of the year ... might as well make it a fun challenge ..

• Like 2

I can't wait to hear what they have to say about Escape from LA. I used to love this movie in high school and college, even though I knew it was horrible.

i have a confession .. i haven't even seen escape form New York ... it's shameful i know. do i need to watch it before LA ... will LA spoil the original?

• Like 3

Ahh, I'm happy my essay comment was read. All the comments were great. I think the bowling alley rant is my fave

This minisode's Reese's outtake reminded me... When I was in elementary school I recall going to a softball game with my dad. He gave me some money for a snack, so I happily went off to the tiny concession stand, excited to get some Reese's Pieces. Except I asked for them as "Reesee's Piecees". The old lady manning the stand glared at me and corrected my pronunciation in such a tone that I thought I had done something seriously taboo. After that I always made sure to pronounce it correctly in fear of offending someone else. It makes me so happy to know I'm not the only one who would say it wrong.

I'm excited to watch Escape from L.A. I saw Escape From New York for the first time a month or so ago, and found the sequel for cheap at CD Exchange, so I'm all set to go!

• Like 1

This episode made me realize I kind of miss Q&As. I should just play Paul's Google rant all the time. I should clip it and just email it to people who ask me dumb questions at work.

Next time we need a Howdy for Paul's Best Blockbuster Story. Think of some more, Paul.

Still upset no award for "He's too small."

• Like 4

getting a c&o nom for a howdie ...

wrhlxd.jpg

Ditto.

giphy.gif

Looking forward to the New Year!

• Like 4

i have a confession .. i haven't even seen escape form New York ... it's shameful i know. do i need to watch it before LA ... will LA spoil the original?

I was actually wondering the same thing. I don't mind watching both if I need to. I just find it annoying when we're all having a discussion about a movie, and every time you write something, somebody feels the need to chime in with, "Well, actually, according to the lore found in the now out-of-print Extended Universe books published thirty years ago at the time of the movie's release..."

I mean, if you want to add all that stuff, that's great, just please don't correct me because I don't share your nerdy pursuits--I have plenty of my own thank you very much. I'm basing everything I'm saying strictly on the piece of "Art" in front of me.

• Like 3

I was actually wondering the same thing. I don't mind watching both if I need to. I just find it annoying when we're all having a discussion about a movie, and every time you write something, somebody feels to chime in with, "Well, actually, according to the lore found in the now out-of-print Extended Universe books published thirty years ago at the time of the movie's release..."

I mean, if you want to add all that stuff, that's great, just please don't correct me because I don't share your nerdy pursuits--I have plenty of my own thank you very much. I'm basing everything I'm saying strictly on the piece of "Art" in front of me.

Ah shit, that Mortal Kombat: Annihalation episode's gonna be a bitch...

• Like 1

Ah shit, that Mortal Kombat: Annihalation episode's gonna be a bitch...

..And on that day shall our friendship be truly tested. :)

No. I don't care if people want to share that stuff, it can be really interesting. Just don't act like I'm wrong or dumb because the extent of my knowledge extends only as far as the filmmakers have chosen to share with me in their movie. Like they've said on the show, I'm watching this as a standalone movie. I'm not about to take a deep dive into everything Street Fighter or The Shadow or whatever.

• Like 1

..And on that day shall our friendship be truly tested. :)

No. I don't care if people want to share that stuff, it can be really interesting. Just don't act like I'm wrong or dumb because the extent of my knowledge extends only as far as the filmmakers have chosen to share with me in their movie. Like they've said on the show, I'm watching this as a standalone movie. I'm not about to take a deep dive into everything Street Fighter or The Shadow or whatever.

What I can envision happening is it literally being a case of me doing some weird C&O-Q&A session, because they drift so far from the source material, it would be a case of for arguments sake "Why were there robots at the start of the movie, why wouldn't they just get more robots?" and it's because they just fucked with the storyline, and were just shoehorning so many characters into the movie, they just thought "Fuck it, put them there, doesn't matter, they'll be happy to see them wherever", and then talking about where they should have been, They had so many characters that they didn't name, and so many characters they named but didn't show. It's a glorious clusterfuck.

Oh god, I'm gonna be insufferable haha. June said of the first movie "This movie irritates me!" and this is nice, gentle, kind June. The second will be insanity, I'm genuinely concerned for Jason's well being if he sees Annihilation.

• Like 1

You don't need to see it first. There's almost no connection between the two movies except that they are both about Snake Plissken. But I would highly recommend watching Escape from NY because it's fucking fantastic.

I should just play Paul's Google rant all the time. I should clip it and just email it to people who ask me dumb questions at work.

Either I heard that rant and forgot about it or it was during my time away when I wasn't really that diligent with listening to the minisodes. But that Google rant made me laugh so hard. It's perfection.

Also perfection? Paul's response to the person trying to nominate June for a Howdy for Grease 2. "You can't give out fuckin' awards willy-nilly like that." My dream is to have a C&O that gets Paul that riled up one day.

Also, if you haven't listened to the latest CBB that had Jason and PFT in it, you should. They bring up the Reese's Pieces / Reesees Peesees discussion, and it's wonderful.

• Like 7

Also perfection? Paul's response to the person trying to nominate June for a Howdy for Grease 2. "You can't give out fuckin' awards willy-nilly like that." My dream is to have a C&O that gets Paul that riled up one day.

I got that dream! When I was not cool with the ignoring of the black face in the Star Wars Holiday Special (which I'm still not 100% convinced that's supposed to be silver) Paul got real riled up lol.

• Like 2

I started watching Escape from LA while working (shh don't tell my boss but come on it's Friday and the end of the year and I'm bored out of my fucking mind).

My first thought is that if this was set in 2017 rather than 2013 then this is 100% believable and I would be on board.

• Like 3

Just watched Escape from L.A. and I have to say that I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It is terrible, but I think it's intentionally terrible. I feel like they could do another one and good on the CGI laden action films of today.

I think the bowling alley rant is my fave

Mine too! I would have given the win to Fister.

• Like 4

I've never won before.

To be considered a winner among such great movie deconstructionists as yourseves is quite an honor. Seriously. It is a highlight on the last day of 2016 for me.

But with that said, take solace in the fact that years from now others will rightfully view fister's comment as the "raging bull" masterpiece that it is vs my "ordinary people" of a theory.... My "crash" of a theory..."Argo"?

Argo fuck yourselves.

• Like 3

I've never won before.

To be considered a winner among such great movie deconstructionists as yourseves is quite an honor. Seriously. It is a highlight on the last day of 2016 for me.

But with that said, take solace in the fact that years from now others will rightfully view fister's comment as the "raging bull" masterpiece that it is vs my "ordinary people" of a theory.... My "crash" of a theory..."Argo"?

Argo fuck yourselves.

Yours was great too! I have a soft spot, though, for seemingly banal comments delivered with such passion. It's why that Covenant comment about glass replacement will always be one of my favorites.

• Like 1

I would recommend seeing Escape from New York first, even though they're barely connected. Don't ruin your introduction to Snake Plissken. The first movie is genuinely fantastic, I think it's Carpenters best film and the soundtrack is awesome. I saw it again recently and it holds up really well. It's shot like a noir, plus Harry Dean Stanton is in it.

To be honest I don't think Escape From LA is bad, its not as good as NY but it's fun as hell and the premise is more believable than the first movie's, especially in light of recent political happenings.

Also any movie with Kurt Russel is worth watching. Even in bad movies he's good. His hair deserves an Academy Award.

tumblr_ohef5dSYeI1sn231po1_500.gif

• Like 3

I think it's Carpenters best film

I mean, sure, if it's tied with The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, Assault on Precinct 13, and They Live

the soundtrack is awesome.

That it is. If y'all like the soundtrack for It Follows, you'll love the music in Escape from NY. It's all synth, and Vreeland borrowed pretty heavily from Carpenter for that score.

• Like 3

To be honest I don't think Escape From LA is bad, its not as good as NY but it's fun as hell and the premise is more believable than the first movie's, especially in light of recent political happenings.

I 110% agree with you. I was a little confused why they picked this movie, but after watching it again I got it. It is really strange that they did a sequel SO similar to the first. And like 15 years after the first movie too.