🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 152.5 - Minisode 152.5

can you download the eps once you sign up?

Um...not too sure--I've never really used it before. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like you can download to your device, but not to your PC--which would make sense, I suppose.

Um...not too sure--I've never really used it before. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like you can download to your device, but not to your PC--which would make sense, I suppose.

That makes sense.

I'm guessing the limited prior notice was so there wouldn't be a mad rush of downloading from people stocking up. And also that the revenue from the adverts in the oldest eps dried up ages ago so they're probably costing earwolf money at this stage. And why shouldn't they make money from their work ... good for them.... I mean the amount of work that went into the howdies was crazy ... Just hope it doesn't stop new listeners joining in the fun. more people listening should mean more revenue from adverts which hopefully means the longer the show will go on .. hopefully

But just looking on twitter ... the reaction has not been pleasant. I understand the frustration from people who only just discovered the podcast but some of the comments are just nasty for the sake of it. I wonder how reddit is taking it?

• Like 3

I wonder how reddit is taking it?

Not well. At least, not when I last checked.

• Like 3

Reddit would find nasty things to say about a puppy and a kitten becoming best friends

• Like 4

Reddit would find nasty things to say about a puppy and a kitten becoming best friends

Ugh! Gross! I can't think of anything more...Unnatural!!! Send those cuck felines back to Catagonia, or wherever the Hell they're from! My God believes in single species friendships only...unless of course the friendship is between a man and his talking donkey. Which is, of course, the only exception to that rule...

Make Husbandry Great Again!

• Like 3

can you download the eps once you sign up?

Yes you can, and there is an INSANE amount of content, including basically every major comedy album to come out in the last 10 years, so many specials, mini-series, all the CBB tour stuff.

It's insane to me the amount of content you guys use that you don't feel "good" about paying for. Sure, you only listen to 1 show. And then you camp in these forums. Who's paying for the hosting? There are no ads on here! Howl is less than $3/month if you sign up for the yearly plan, sheesh.

• Like 1

I get that some of you guys are hurting for dough, but Howl is pretty cheap. These guys need to eat, too.

You also get the back catalogue of WTF for what it's worth (for me, a lot).

• Like 1

Guys, like please understand. I'm not mad about the change at all and if I could afford to subscribe to support even just HDTGM I would. But I'm at a point in my life where my insurances have gone up and my work is screwing me over with some of the worst hours I've had in the nearly 10 years I've worked with the company. So until my hours improve or I can snag a new job, that $5/mo actually makes a difference as someone on the low income level.

• Like 2

Yes you can, and there is an INSANE amount of content, including basically every major comedy album to come out in the last 10 years, so many specials, mini-series, all the CBB tour stuff.

It's insane to me the amount of content you guys use that you don't feel "good" about paying for. Sure, you only listen to 1 show. And then you camp in these forums. Who's paying for the hosting? There are no ads on here! Howl is less than $3/month if you sign up for the yearly plan, sheesh.

Sorry, but saying "BUT THERE'S SO MUCH STUFF" to people that aren't interested in that stuff doesn't make it more appealing or more logical to pay for a full service when you want ONE show...

Telling people they should pay for a thing that was free like it's no big deal for everyone seems strange to me. I understand they need to keep the lights on, but is that not what ads are for? Why not keep the backlog with ads for free to those of us who don't want to subscribe to Howl, and use the Howl service as a "premium" service with no ads...instead of making it the only option for a good chunk of the show?

Guys, like please understand. I'm not mad about the change at all and if I could afford to subscribe to support even just HDTGM I would. But I'm at a point in my life where my insurances have gone up and my work is screwing me over with some of the worst hours I've had in the nearly 10 years I've worked with the company. So until my hours improve or I can snag a new job, that $5/mo actually makes a difference as someone on the low income level.

I'm the same right now. My entire life is so budgeted that yeah an extra $3-$5 a month is felt. I really wish I could throw money at them because the amount of work that goes into this and every other podcast I listen to is amazing and they really deserve to get properly paid.

• Like 2

Telling people they should pay for a thing that was free like it's no big deal for everyone seems strange to me. I understand they need to keep the lights on, but is that not what ads are for? Why not keep the backlog with ads for free to those of us who don't want to subscribe to Howl, and use the Howl service as a "premium" service with no ads...instead of making it the only option for a good chunk of the show?
It's not big deal when you realize that's part of the model. Right from the beginning of the internet, this has been the going model for providing content. Trial periods followed by subscriptions. And the modern model is even friendlier to consumers because you're still getting the most recent (i.e. valuable) content for free. In the publishing industry, the model works the other way (think about public domain works of literature, science and medical journals, etc.)

Advertising just doesn't generate the kind of revenue that print and broadcast advertisements do. And even if you do not want, or cannot afford to subscribe to premium content, just the fact that other people *are* means that you benefit from new content. Because that provides the incentive for podcast producers to keep producing podcasts.

• Like 3

Guys, guys! I am bound and determined to make 2017 fucking awesome for everyone (well, except maybe one person...) How about instead of gripping at one another, let's all be cool and post a songs that put us in a good mood?

Here's mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYox81pDzjk

Positivity, y'all: It's contagious.

• Like 3

I'm not judging people who can't afford it, we've all been there. Even feeling sad or upset about the change makes sense to me, you want something, you can't afford to have it, it sucks.

I'm talking about people who feel that they are being "cheated" because working actors and writers have been providing entertainment for free are now asking to be reasonably compensated for that content.

I understand they need to keep the lights on...

No, they don't need to "keep the lights on", they need to be fairly compensated for their work. "Bare minimum" is not the obligated payment for what has become a sizeable media network stacked with work created by some of the greatest rising talent in American comedy right now. They are not obligated to work in the red to provide free content.

• Like 2

This may sound dumb (and a little like charity) but why not crowd fund that shit? I'd be happy to kick in a few bucks here and there.

Positivity: It's a movement.

• Like 1

It's insane to me the amount of content you guys use that you don't feel "good" about paying for. Sure, you only listen to 1 show. And then you camp in these forums. Who's paying for the hosting? There are no ads on here!

we're just having a discussion between friends. we know exactly who is paying for the hosting and we are always respectful to our hosts. we all knew this was coming. we're just here to try to fill some time before the next episode drops.

and to be fair, we do contribute to the show. the forums have always been a large part of the mini's and alot of us have been here for years. not im not saying it's a totally selfless way to spend my time, i'm sure we all get a kick out of getting a mention. but we also create content and awareness off the forums too. and if you listen back to the howdies alot of the shout outs at the end for people who did work for them were from here. and just to be clear, i'm not saying that makes us entitled to free content, but i would hope it would give us a little room for discussions like this.

and lets try to refrain from comments about what people can or should be able to afford. if you can afford it then bully for you but if you cant see how others might not be able to then at least try to keep that to yourself.

right ... i need to go and watch escape from LA. as suggested by some of you previously i watched escape from new york the other night in prep for escape form LA and really enjoyed it so hopefully the LA instalment will be just as entertaining.

edit: it took me a while to get that posted because my internet connection is acting the maggot these past few days. if anything has been said since to contradict me then cool beans ... also

• Like 2

This may sound dumb (and a little like charity) but why not crowd fund that shit? I'd be happy to kick in a few bucks here and there.

Positivity: It's a movement.

...you know you may have given me an idea to toy with. Otherwise I was thinking of opening up commissions again after I finish up the few I'd had on hold from the holidays. I'm one of those people who has to provide something in return for any financial support.

In the meantime, I'm all for some music sharing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k8craCGpgs

• Like 2

Jesus, Firsttimecaller! Every time I hear that Ellen Aim song I'm struck by how much it sounds like Jim Stienmen ;)

The Eighties are the best tbh

You're goddamn right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oomCIXGzsR0

Positivity: It's like getting a $50 gift card for your soul.

• Like 3