🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Ofcoursemyhorse

So I Married An Axe Murderer (1993)

Nope, this movie is gold and I will fight for it till my dying day.

Gotta back Taylor Anne up on this.

I still say 'I believe I ordered the large cappuccino' to this day.

• Like 4

Holy Crap! This movie is a goddamn classic...this suggestion is E-VEEL, like it's the FRU-ETS of the DEV-EEL. E-VEEL.

• Like 4

I'm from the bay area so I've seen this movie more times than I can count just to spot all the areas they filmed in. There's a lot that's great about this movie Anthony La Paglia and Arkins scenes were all hilarious and Charles Grodin's cameo was also a highlight.

But I do have to forcefully maintain that Mike Myers doing beat poetry is pretty regretable. But to be fair I don't think there was ever any beat poetry that wouldn't make me cringe though the back of my seat.

This is, without question, the only film I can stomach with Mike Myers. That's saying a lot.

"Heeed! Mooove!"

• Like 2

This movie is a hidden gem. It's interesting how badly it flopped considering Mike Myers was at his peak just after the Wayne's World franchise. I think it is made better by the fact that no one knows about it. It's a great movie to watch with friends who also enjoy quirky comedies.

• Like 3

I rewatched this yesterday, I still think this is a weird enough movie with enough plot holes to be a a fun episode.

But it was a lot better than I remembered. I think my main problem is that I really wasn't a fan of Myers as Charlie. That character really just annoyed me to the point that it more than likely tainted my memory of the movie.

Phil Hartman was delightful in his cameo, Anthony La Paglia was great throughout and even Myers as his dad was funny enough to negate his performance as Charlie.

• Like 1

I haven't watched it in a while. I remember the first time I watched it was during a movie night with some friends in high school and we watched it immediately after 'The Girl Next Door' which was so awful anything would have seemed good in comparison.

Correct me if I'm wrong... Did this movie started "the kick to the vagina" slapstick comedy move? Or is there another movie before it that did it first?

♪There she goes...♪ This movie is why I know that song and like that song

This is one of those movies I loved when I was a child and had really fond memories of it's comedic value. Upton watching later in life, totally holds up to a surprising degree. This movie's just too good for an episode I think.

• Like 2

♪There she goes...♪ This movie is why I know that song and like that song

If I remember correctly, it plays about 28 times in the movie.

• Like 2

Damn you all, you've forced my hand now I must vociferously defend my recommendation.

-Mike Myers as Charlie is easily the least likable character of the entire movie.

-Charlie performs his god awful " Woman, Woman, Woman" poem 4 times in this movie.

-The scene introducing Charlie to Harriet is him walking into a busy butcher shop and just wandering behind the counter to tell Harriet that he can help out. And she, in violation of every sanitation and labor regulation known to man, agrees. He then proceeds to violate any and all safety hazards and actively terrorizes her customers. I just want you all to take a moment to think about how you would react if someone you hadnt met before but was interested in you sexually decided to wander into your place of employment, jump behind the counter or desk and proceed to goof off during the busiest part of your day.

-Her loft is fucking massive and in San Francisco. The thought that a single self-employed butcher is making enough to afford that place is mindboggling.

-A third of the way through the movie Myers and LaPaglia take a field trip to Alcatraz and for no reason. Just two grown ass men deciding to take a tour in the middle of the afternoon.

- The scene immediately after is a delightful combination of flashforward/flashback montage. Where they intermingle scenes of their first date along with the next couple of months. It makes zero sense.

-Harriet despite apparently not wanting anyone to know or ask her about her previous relationships as they appear to trigger bad memories for her, goes ahead and creates shrines for every dude that she thought left her on their honeymoon. And not a tiny little shoebox filled with keepsakes or pictures. No, she creates massive wall art all around her apartment and then gets uncomfortable when Charlie asks about them. If she's so uncomfortable why the fuck is it prominently displayed around the loft.

-Charlie apparently makes a living performing the same beat poetry song every weekend.

-Harriet is also unaware that a National Enquirer that mentions one of her ex-husbands by name, is floating around insinuating she's a black widow.

-Harriet also makes the decision to bring all 7 of her previous wedding bands hidden in makeup powder to her honeymoon night.

Anthony LaPaglia, Alan Arkin, Mike Myers playing the origins of Fat Bastard are a highlight of this movie. As are the cameos of Charles Grodin, Steven Wright, and Phil Hartman.

Although very enjoyable this movie bombed financially and wasnt well received by critics when it released. I maintain that theres alot wrong with this movie. The fact that its incredibly watchable even now makes it even more viable.

I still like it. :) All you're doing is making me want to watch it again.

tumblr_li3460yvpO1qfpf18o1_400.gif

• Like 3

I also still like this movie, I just think theres alot wrong with it.

Also I'll be disappointed if no one gives me shit for using the phrase "beat poetry song", because i've earned it.

• Like 3

The poetry is weird and dumb but intentionally so. It essentially functions like a Greek chorus.

Mike Myers is incredibly charming when he's playing himself basically straight, that's what I love about this movie. It makes sense that he was so successful (for a time), he seems really wholesome and nice.

Also I'll be disappointed if no one gives me shit for using the phrase "beat poetry song", because i've earned it.

I'm really curious where the whole trope of shitty beatnik poetry started in earnest. I remember seeing this referenced in older comedies and magazines like Mad or National Lampoons, but then I actually started reading the Beats in high school and it was cool stuff like Burroughs and Keroauc -- who are basically the polar opposite of the beret wearing, bongo playing coffee house stereotype. It makes me think that the stereotype never really existed, except as a way for the status quo to hate youth culture of the 1950s.

The poetry is weird and dumb but intentionally so. It essentially functions like a Greek chorus.

Mike Myers is incredibly charming when he's playing himself basically straight, that's what I love about this movie. It makes sense that he was so successful (for a time), he seems really wholesome and nice.

See thats interesting, in the beginning they're explaining how he arbitrarily dumps women and then makes up really lame excuses as to why it was them and not him. I found it really hard not to dislike him in this movie after that. The scene later where he's a dick to Debi Mazar just made me double down on my dislike for his character.

I mean, you're not wrong, and if this were a more earnest Rom-Com, I'd be right there with you. But the movie revels in its absurdity, and because of that, it makes it almost bulletproof. Two grown men go to Alcatraz to talk about their love life because that's an absolutely bizarre thing to do--and if I really wanted to get pretentious, because it represents Charlie's feelings of being "trapped" when he's in a committed relationship.

Also "beat poetry song?" Really?

rdlol.gif

• Like 1

But I would argue that it is an earnest rom-com for a majority of the movie. Its only the last 20 min when shit goes off the rails and it becomes something else. But before Rose is revealed as the killer and she does that badass Jack Palance impersonation with the axe, its really just a pretty typical rom-com. Like if they had Rose attempting to kill Charlie off throughout the movie it would have made a bit more sense to me.

The scene where Anthony LaPaglia is interrogating Harriet while he hears the axe chopping above him is so different than anything else in the movie.

I will fucking fight anyone that says this is a bad movie. The beat poetry scenes are my second favorite part (behind the scenes Myers as the dad). But I think they're also part of why the movie wasn't a big financial success. Those scenes are a bit too meta for 1993, when meta-jokes weren't quite as big of a thing as they are now (unless they were in over-the-top slapstick spoofs), so I think people didn't really know how to take this movie.

Also, the Alcatraz scene with Phil Hartman is one of my favorite things of all time.

• Like 5