๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
Ofcoursemyhorse

So I Married An Axe Murderer (1993)

I will fucking fight anyone that says this is a bad movie. The beat poetry scenes are my second favorite part (behind the scenes Myers as the dad). But I think they're also part of why the movie wasn't a big financial success. Those scenes are a bit too meta for 1993, when meta-jokes weren't quite as big of a thing as they are now (unless they were in over-the-top slapstick spoofs), so I think people didn't really know how to take this movie.

ย 

Also, the Alcatraz scene with Phil Hartman is one of my favorite things of all time.

ย 

ย 

I am forced to retroactively take back my complaint about the beat poem, as reading the soundtrack led me to the track name "This Poem Sucks" as performed by Mike Myers. He clearly knew what he was doing there.

ย 

I do maintain that i'd rather the team cover more enjoyable and watchable movies that have flaws rather than some of the more obvious trainwrecks they've done. Deep Blue Sea, Face/Off, Con-Air, The Fast and Furious movies, Crank etc. are far more enjoyable episodes to me because its much more fun when they actually have a good time watching the movie. Rather than some of the hunks of shit they've also covered and the episodes basically start to devolve into them all just saying the movie is garbage in so many words.

• Like 2

ย 

ย 

Also, the Alcatraz scene with Phil Hartman is one of my favorite things of all time.

ย 

ย 

I also love Vicky.

• Like 2

I do maintain that i'd rather the team cover more enjoyable and watchable movies that have flaws rather than some of the more obvious trainwrecks they've done. Deep Blue Sea, Face/Off, Con-Air, The Fast and Furious movies, Crank etc. are far more enjoyable episodes to me because its much more fun when they actually have a good time watching the movie. Rather than some of the hunks of shit they've also covered and the episodes basically start to devolve into them all just saying the movie is garbage in so many words.

ย 

DEFINITELY agree. I don't even care if I particularly like the movie, but if one of them really enjoys the movie, that's a lot of fun. And if all of them are on board, it's even better. That's why Fast 5-6 and Furious 7 are probably my three favorite episodes. I love that the gang and Adam are just like, "Yes, let's fucking do this!" (but it also helps that I legit love those movies, too)

I'm really curious where the whole trope of shitty beatnik poetry started in earnest. I remember seeing this referenced in older comedies and magazines like Mad or National Lampoons, but then I actually started reading the Beats in high school and it was cool stuff like Burroughs and Keroauc -- who are basically the polar opposite of the beret wearing, bongo playing coffee house stereotype. It makes me think that the stereotype never really existed, except as a way for the status quo to hate youth culture of the 1950s.

I think the earliest I've seen is the 1959 Roger Corman horror-comedy 'Bucket of Blood,' in which Dick Miller plays a hapless artist trying to ingratiate himself into the world of the Beats by passing of plaster-covered dead things as actual statues. When Roger Corman is at his best, he's able to balance horror and comedy pretty well, and although this film is pretty schlocky, it's still genuinely funny and entertaining. You have the standard "beatniks reading bad poetry" and "no coffee for me, I'll just have some wheatgrass juice" jokes, but this was in 1959. Dumb sitcoms are still getting away with this same trope, but here it was actually a current trend waiting to be mocked. Hell, the "shallowness of the art world" tropes mocked in 'Nocturnal Animals' can be found in this movie, just at about 1% of the budget and ten times more fun to watch.

• Like 2

I loved how they turned the whole "Angry Police Chief" trope on it's head with Arkin's character being a sensitive, understanding guy, and LaPaglia getting disappointed with his treatment because he always wanted a hardass chief like in the movies. The scene where Arkin tears into him about the murder case, leaves, and then comes back asking how he did was so awesome. Love this movie so much.

• Like 3

Sharon Stone was the original pick for Harriet, but I guess she didn't want to be outdone by Mike Myers with his dual roles and wanted to play both Harriet and Rose.

ย 

It's hard to imagine how unrecognizable this movie would have been had they gone that route.

I only saw it once and liked it, but I must say, all this outpouring of love and support in the forum makes me want to see it for a second time ASAP