🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
ErikDiehn

A message from Earwolf's CEO about yesterday's episode de-publishing

Like a lot of fans I have mixed emotions about de publishing past episodes. I mainly listened to Affirmation Nation and CBB and could listen to the same 20 to 30 episodes over and over, day after day. It was comforting to have those in the background while working. Fortunately I have those downloaded. I really just wanted to write and say sincerely, thank you, Scott Auxerman and all of your guests over the years and thank you Seth Morris/Bob Ducca for all of the laughs and insight. One last thing in parting -Cake Boss!

• Like 1

Earwolf is cutting us off to get people to use Howl more, right? Maybe if Howl's numbers don't shoot up they'll reverse their decision...one can only hope. I really think they're shooting themselves in the foot here, especially with new listeners.

Oh, and how do the artists actually responsible for the material feel about these? I know the HDTGM guys aren't happy, and they can't be the only ones. Surely their opinion matters at least as much as the suits--without 'em we'd have nothing!

Is anyone actually happy about this decision apart from higher-ups who dreamt it up? None of the hosts seem happy. None of your fans (now customers) sound happy. Once again a paywall ruins everything.

Is anyone actually happy about this decision apart from higher-ups who dreamt it up? None of the hosts seem happy. None of your fans (now customers) sound happy. Once again a paywall ruins everything.

I'm fine with it. Others seems fine with it, too. It honestly seems like a very vocal minority that are most upset.

• Like 5

I don't object to paying for the content. I just expect that if I'm paying for some podcast episodes then I should, you know, be able to listen to them. I don't think I've ever gotten through an episode without Howl unexpectedly stopping playback and forgetting where it was, or crashing out completely. I'll occasionally check back on reviews, and if the app becomes usable I might give it another try. But I already feel like I was cheated out of some money, so it's gonna take real work to win back that trust. Nothing at all against the creators at Earwolf, and I'll continue to listen to the new shows.

• Like 1

I used to subscribe but the push to move over to Sticher was a little too much for me as i really dont like the app. Midroll is indeed a for profit business and they have every right to pursue whatever business model they want but they must be aware that they risk alienating some of the fanbase. personally, i have limited resources and i'd rather they go to podcasters where i feel like i'm supporting a community of artists such as maxfun or individual patreons rather than a business. no shade to earwolf, thats just what id rather do.

This move to stitcher premium is bullshit. You've taken previously free content and are charging money for it. Almost 75% of CBB has been taken down, how am I supposed to send new listeners to some of the GOAT episodes if they are behind a paywall?

Just one example, Andy Samberg and "Todd", their introductions are behind the god damn pay wall. This is stupid. If you REALLY need more money, ask for it. No one asks for donations anymore.

The stitcher premium service sucks, the app sucks, and now you suck for moving to it.

You've taken my favorites episodes, podcasts and network of all time, and put it behind a paywall so I can no longer invite new friends to consume your "Content", which is now all it is, no longer art, since you've put it behind the paywall.

I would gladly send you money if I knew that you needed it to continue operating.

Go checkout "No Agenda"'s model of finance. They make 10's of thousands a week and are purely donation supported.

Fuck.** I love you so much**, why you do dis?