🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 153 - Escape from L.A.: LIVE!

'Overboard' came out quite a bit before 'Capt Ron' but regardless LOVE Capt Ron. 'Overboard' I loved as a kid but as an adult am EXTREMELY skeeved by the plot (sorry Garry Marshall)

Yes but it was replayed so damn much on TBS before and after encore showings of Beastmaster.

Yes but it was replayed so damn much on TBS before and after encore showings of Beastmaster.

Speaking of movies that proved instrumental in adolescent sexual awakenings: Beastmaster!

• Like 1

Paul, I am so glad you are on the case of this VERY contentious issue. And by that I obviously mean that we shouldn't allow Hollywood filmmakers to hunt noble dinosaurs for sport.

Especially after inflicting Kingdom of the Crystal Skull on us. I mean, come on.

f31.jpg

• Like 4

Paul, I am so glad you are on the case of this VERY contentious issue. And by that I obviously mean that we shouldn't allow Hollywood filmmakers to hunt noble dinosaurs for sport.

Especially after inflicting Kingdom of the Crystal Skull on us. I mean, come on.

f31.jpg

You guys are both WRONG! This is about population control. If we don't thin their numbers from time to time it would be an ecological disaster. Have you seen any dinosaurs lately? No? Well you can thank Mr. Spielberg for that. Also, Crystal Skull is a sweet movie and they should totally do another one--but without Indy. And it should be called Mutt Jones and the Fleece of Fortune. Also, Brendan Fraser should be in it.

• Like 3

I agree with Jason on the movie, its a fucking terrible movie that has alot of fun stuff in it. Pam Grier, the hang gliding, and my favorite part of the movie is the scenes with Bruce Campbell and the plastic surgery dungeon which looked like BioShock replicated either consciously or subconsciously in the first game.

Also I've figured out what this movie is. The reason why its so terrible is because it isnt actually a true sequel to Escape From New York. Its a fan-film that noted sailing enthusiast Ron funded with money swindled from families who foolishly (or wisely) hired him to captain their vessels.

Ron saw the first movie and felt he could do better and add in some badass missing elements like surfing and hang-gliding that first film failed to capitalize on. He also knew that with their matching eye patches he'd be a perfect fit to take over the role of Snake.

• Like 2

You guys are both WRONG! This is about population control. If we don't thin their numbers from time to time it would be an ecological disaster. Have you seen any dinosaurs lately? No? Well you can thank Mr. Spielberg for that. Also, Crystal Skull is a sweet movie and they should totally do another one--but without Indy. And it should be called Mutt Jones and the Fleece of Fortune. Also, Brendan Fraser should be in it.

You-will-never-believe-giant-alligators-exist-until-you-see-this-57501ef64ee7d__880_zpss0apvnxd.gif

Dinosaurs still exist, you just have to be golfing to see them.

• Like 1

You guys are both WRONG! This is about population control. If we don't thin their numbers from time to time it would be an ecological disaster. Have you seen any dinosaurs lately? No? Well you can thank Mr. Spielberg for that.

I can't believe you said that, forum Paul. The triceratops is not hurting anyone. It is an herbivore! It's also known to be the gayest of the dinosaurs so, like, I think this is homophobia.

Dinosaurs still exist, you just have to be golfing to see them.

They aren't hurting anybody! Just put up a sign: NO GOLFING GIANT PREHISTORIC DINOSAUR. That's what you need. A sign guy!

• Like 5

I can't believe you said that, forum Paul. The triceratops is not hurting anyone. It is an herbivore! It's also known to be the gayest of the dinosaurs so, like, I think this is homophobia.

I'll have you know some of my best friends are triceratops...

• Like 5

I'll have you know some of my best friends are triceratops...

Publicly resisting a tricerabottoms response.

• Like 3

I don't want to step on What is it's Misson's toes too much here but I have a lot of problems with the very literal ticking clock element of this film. As keen eared listeners and forum members know when a time frame is mentioned I love to plot out how much time is actually taking place. So when I remembered this movie had a giant clock keeping track of the time I decided to do the same when writing notes for this film. Unfortunately I don't have the time this morning to write out a full blow by blow breakdown of how ridiculously long or short period of times some things take place over. Expect that sometime later today though.

Until then I will leave you with this odd thing I noted. As they are hang gliding into Disneyland they cover up the name change by claiming that it kept changing owners after they went bankrupt because "that thing in Paris killed them." Now this is a not so subtle reference to the financial struggles Euro Disney or Disneyland Paris as it is now known. When Disney opened its Paris location in 1992 there was a lot of bad press because of injuries and low attendance and the whole place became a punchline. However, a few years after opening with initial bad press dying down the park actually started making money and became profitable. This happened the year before this movie was made. So by the time they were making this movie "that thing in Paris" was now profitable and sustainable.

• Like 3

Publicly resisting a tricerabottoms response.

No, you should make that joke. I think it could be funny.

• Like 3

No, you should make that joke. I think it could be funny.

The version you made in your head will be much funnier than anything I came up with.

• Like 3

Of course now might not be the time to mention there is also some controversy over the classification of Triceratops and how it might have just been a stage in the life of a Torosaurus....

• Like 4

from pauls instagram ... if this doesn't make you smile then you're dead inside ... go on the paul!!!!

15803811_1820029918259200_3366140078043693056_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTQyMTkyMDM2MDM4Mjg5NTQ0OQ%3D%3D.2

Goddamit when is The Masterpiece coming out?

In regards to this movie, I honestly have to believe that Carpenter did this only because they were throwing so much money at him. New York cost 6 million to make and made a bit over 25, which made it a solid hit for a 1981 film on that budget. LA on the other hand, made fifteen years later, cost 50 million and made the SAME AMOUNT at the box office and the effects are terrible even for that era. I will say that there are a few references to the making of this movie in the recent comic series set after Escape From New York as Snake is sent by the government on various suicide missions. In the first arc, that is set directly after the end of New York, Snake is sent to Florida where he battles a militia that is run by two bratty kids who ran away from home and bamboozled their way into control of this violent army, which I'm sure Carpenter would have done if Kate Hudson had been cast. The series does enough to set up Snake as a renowned bad ass, though with not having read the final volume yet, i don't know if it is set in Cleveland. And did no one else notice that Robert Carradine was the skinhead who challenged Snake to throw a knife into a corpse?

Also with the references to Smash Mouth in the early part of the episode, I felt that I needed to share this horror with all of you, because I don't want to be the only one who knows what hell sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRbNB5VopMM

• Like 2

I just watched this today! It wasn't as terrible as I remembered.

• Like 2

So...seriously. Does anyone have anything to say about Escape from LA?

My favorite part of escape from LA. Was when the HOSTS PUT IN HOURS IF TIME AND U SHOULD PAY FOR IT BECAUSE...

• Like 1

I just watched this today! It wasn't as terrible as I remembered.

Fascinating. Let's talk more about that...

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

• Like 4

Of course now might not be the time to mention there is also some controversy over the classification of Triceratops and how it might have just been a stage in the life of a Torosaurus....

So it was "just a phase"? Next thing you'll be saying bisexuals aren't real!

Looks like the scientists have straightened that one out... http://www.bbc.com/n...onment-17192624

Thank you for REVEALING THE FACTS.

ETA: Ugh that image is too large. Sorry.

• Like 5

these guests were kind of grating and really smudging the line between loud/obnoxious and funny.. People think Jason is obnoxious but he is often hilarious and his obnoxiousness is an intentional shtick.. these guys were just missing with their "jokes"

they weren't THAT bad, and i dont mean to ben negative, i love the show and this episode was good.

i know whenever someone has the slightest amount of criticism towards a show on here, they get shot down for being "negative" and not appreciating a free podcast, but the point of these forums is to voice your POV or input..

BTW my criticism is mostly towards Dan i suppose, and i dig D'arcy's contributions on I4H and other earwolf programs