🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
FirstAidKit

Down With Love (2003)

This (appropriately) forgotten film of Ewan McGregor and Renee Zellweger should have been great and was made at the height of their popularity, sandwiched between his prequels and her Academy award nominations. This film is terrible. It's amazing Peyton Reed went on to direct anything else, let alone Jim Carrey and Marvel movies. The entire crew appears to have toiled mightily to satirize the Doris Day-Rock Hudson sex comedies, but it's an unfunny mess. The HDTGM crew did so well with Simply Irresistible, why aren't they tackling more bad rom coms like this one?

The Amazon DVD description: Renee Zellweger (Chicago) and Ewan McGregor (Moulin Rouge) are the toast of the town in the most stylish romantic comedy of the year! From the producers of American Beauty and the director of Bring It On comes a teasing, tantalizing battle of the sexes that is "pure enchantment" (Daily News). When best-selling feminist author Barbara Novak (Zellweger) becomes the target of dashing playboy Catcher Block (McGregor), these sparring, would-be lovers generate enough sparks to fly you to the moon and back. In other words, the ultimate catch has just met his match!

This is a surprisingly well made Romantic Comedy. I only watched it because David Hyde Pierce (Niles from Frasier) said it is his most under-appreciated movie. While it is definitely an under-appreciated movie but probably not enough to talk about for a podcast.

It's more like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, a cheesy romantic comedy no one wants to admit they loved when they watched it but instead of developing a man-crush on Matthew McCounaughey you develop one on Ewan McGregor. It's good to see Obi-Wan has found love though...

• Like 1

"Well-made" doesn't a good movie make. The film admittedly looks gorgeous, but the leads have no chemistry and the tone is tiresome after 10 minutes.

I first saw this movie at a early screening sponsored by Tanqueray that was preceded by a cocktail party with gin & tonics flowing. I thought it was great. I bought it when it came out on DVD - in pink packaging - and quickly realized that, without gin, this movie is terrible. Even Legally Blonde wasn't sold in a pink DVD case. It's worldwide total box office gross ($39,468,111) barely matched it's budget of $35,000,000. It was a huge summer bomb.

https://youtu.be/tpT63DNiMUw

post-126322-0-36081600-1484793955_thumb.gif

• Like 1

All good points but I think we can agree that it wouldn't be worth an episode. I did enjoy it though, purely to see Niles.

• Like 1