🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Charlie Hales is in Dune???

It is indeed a Portlandia reference.

(Locals loathe the show).

As a Portlander with friends who also enjoy the show, that is not universally true. Seeing as how Carrie Brownstein is also a resident, I'm assuming she doesn't hate her own show.

To avoid future controversy I shall henceforth refer to him as That Guy That Loves Cherry Pie & Coffee.

OK. I no shit, 100% legit LOVE this movie. It's one of my favorite movies ever made. But it would be PERFECT for the show.

Agreed on both counts!

It is indeed a Portlandia reference.

As a Portlander with friends who also enjoy the show, that is not universally true. Seeing as how Carrie Brownstein is also a resident, I'm assuming she doesn't hate her own show.

A lot of people from Olympia and Seattle consider themselves dual citizens, but the point is that Portlandia is one and a half jokes that somehow got stretched out to multiple seasons. There's great comedy in PDX (at least, until LA steals it (RIP Ron Funches, Sean Jordan) but it ain't Portlandia.

A lot of people from Olympia and Seattle consider themselves dual citizens,

That wouldn't surprise me, but not sure I see the pertinence. Carrie Brownstein has been living in PDX since the early 2000's while not also living in WA, that I can find (unless you're implying only native Portlander's opinions count). Although apparently she recently moved to LA, so I guess that's moot.

but the point is that Portlandia is one and a half jokes that somehow got stretched out to multiple seasons. There's great comedy in PDX (at least, until LA steals it (RIP Ron Funches, Sean Jordan) but it ain't Portlandia.

Agreed, the show has its flaws but also not sure how that relates to the show allegedly being loathed by locals. Apparently there's some bad blood with the actual feminist bookstore, but that's a recent development.

I think we're getting off track here, so to bring it back around - the real issue at hand: Kyle MacLachlan. Verdict: delightful.

Question for Dune fans: Is it really worth watching? I am a big fan of Lynch but keep putting it off.

• Like 1

It's totally worth watching, you can't accuse it of being boring. All of the art direction, costuming, sets, etc are really interesting -- some people criticize the film because it doesn't look like they think it should, but it's visually compelling. The cast is filled with great actors, some of which appear to be less confused than others. Scene to scene, moment to moment, it's very watchable; it's just clear that there was difficulty with adapting the novel, and that Lynch and the studio had wildly differing visions.

Lynch has a small cameo as a spice miner who gets saved from a sandworm.

Question for Dune fans: Is it really worth watching? I am a big fan of Lynch but keep putting it off.

Absolutely! It's a must watch for Lynch fans.

I saw this for the first time when I was 8 or 9 my parents were big Dune fans and fucking hated it but I adored this movie it wasn't until I got old enough to read the books that I saw their issues with it, it be a great movie for the podcast though I think they'd either need to do it as a live show or have one of the guests be a massive Dune fan just to explain this movie.

I'd love for HBO to do a big adaption of this, maybe as there next Game of Thrones.

After having read the book, I'd imagine Dune as something closer to Lawrence of Arabia than anything that has been adapted so far.