🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 153.5 - Minisode 153.5

Omg does she have the ability to translate songs into ukulele chords?! Cause there are two songs I reeeaaallllyyyy want to play but I have no talent in how to actually figure out what the chords should be on this instrument lol.

Yep, she's a music teacher of all kinds - piano, guitar, voice, piano, Garage Band, clarinet, all sorts. She's an especially good arranger - her Christmas gift to me the last two years were songs she arranged so we could play piano-saxophone duets at home (we live the high life up here in Canada). But yes, I'm sure she could help you!

• Like 3

...and it's not Jurassic Park.

You mean it's not like Jurassic Park?!? I'm shocked.

But seriously, I'm just done with all negativity. What's the point? I can't stand bitching (Which I realize I'm doing right now unironically. You don't need to say anything). HDTGM feels positive to me because there is a joy in watching bad films. And I honestly believe there is more that can be learned from bad art than good. I'm just sick of a culture that feels "too cool" for everything. If you don't like something, fine, but let's not be dicks about it. There's too much negativity in the world as it is, why even add a small amount more?

• Like 5

Yep, she's a music teacher of all kinds - piano, guitar, voice, piano, Garage Band, clarinet, all sorts. She's an especially good arranger - her Christmas gift to me the last two years were songs she arranged so we could play piano-saxophone duets at home (we live the high life up here in Canada). But yes, I'm sure she could help you!

I'm so jealous of musical talent like that!

Well if you want to throw her these two songs then I would be eternally grateful lol.

• Like 2

You mean it's not like Jurassic Park?!? I'm shocked.

In the dude's defense he said he wished that Newt had a scientific Jurassic Park like love for the magical beasts. Cause I think then Avaryl (sp? sorry) said something like "Oh yeah I wish it were more like Jurassic Park!" So then that just makes me go "THIS ISN'T JURASSIC PARK!" Newt's love for these animals is so pure and in more of a "guy who volunteers at animal shelters all the time" kind of way so we wouldn't get the Jurassic Parkness of it.

• Like 3

Side-eyeing that Fantastic Beasts review real hard

giphy.gif

I hope they get their own podcast, just for the express purpost that Paul will stop running their segment on the minisode. I'm sure Averil is a nice enough person, but boy, an I tired of those two every week.

I was up at 3am, so I listened to the ep super late lol. I'm so proud of Cam Bert for that comment. I was actually sharing a bit of it yesterday with a SoCal friend who hasn't seen the movie, but is familiar with L.A.

Glad Blake's joke was recognized too.

I also feel bad for helping digress the Escape from L.A post after the paywall crap even more with my letterboxd question. Hunting for movie-related posts this time must've been a pain in the ass. Sorry, Paul.

• Like 6

I also feel bad for helping digress the Escape from L.A post after the paywall crap even more with my letterboxd question. Hunting for movie-related posts this time must've been a pain in the ass. Sorry, Paul.

Your question was way more fun! It was community building. :)

Besides:

(CTRL+F) Escape, Snake, Cuervo, Carpenter, Russell, Hair, Dumb, and (if it's one of my posts) probably Fuck.

• Like 3

I thought the Bert in Cam Bert was pronounced Burt. Is this wrong?

Fantastic Beasts was pretty good. I'm just thankful I didn't get spoiled, unlike La La Land, which I'll be watching tomorrow, but my own mother spoiled the ending on Christmas. Oh, the ending and the meet-cute. Am I still going to like this?

• Like 5

Glad Blake's joke was recognized too.

I think history is going to judge Blake Plissken very harshly. He was supposed to be Snake but he is making a quip on a line that is said to Snake not something that Snake ever says. If I ran Largo I'd ban him for life. Probably a good thing I am not a club owner.

• Like 6

I think history is going to judge Blake Plissken very harshly. He was supposed to be Snake but he is making a quip on a line that is said to Snake not something that Snake ever says. If I ran Largo I'd ban him for life. Probably a good thing I am not a club owner.

Oh no doubt. Not saying he pulled it off well, but I'm glad the attempt was recognized. It's a lesson for the future. (For me the lesson would be don't cosplay at these events unless embarrassment is desired.)

• Like 3

by my count Highlander 2 is going to be movie #149 covered by HDTGM which means the first movie they release from tomorrows live shows will be #150!!!

I hope there's a cake or something

150cake(4).jpg

(of course they could always release something else ... basically i'm saying the next movie after Highlander 2 will be #150)

• Like 7

So, my old enemy returns.

In the Spring of 1991 some friends and I made a long trip to the theater. We thought about canceling because there was a terrible rainstorm that Saturday, but we really didn't want to miss this show. It was an hour-and-a-half drive each way at the best of times; closer to three hours in this weather. But we went, and we stuck it out for the whole movie.

That movie was Highlander 2.

We were huge fans of the original, often watching it on VHS. Kickass swordfights, grand, sweeping music, a fantasy story that spanned the centuries--it was everything our nerdy teenage selves adored. And then to see THAT. A sequel that blatantly ignored the premises of the first film wrapped up in a nonsense plot . . . and the fucking planet Zeist. It makes me angry to this day.

• Like 3

Oh no doubt. Not saying he pulled it off well, but I'm glad the attempt was recognized. It's a lesson for the future. (For me the lesson would be don't cosplay at these events unless embarrassment is desired.)

So...who would everyone cosplay as if given the opportunity to go to a show?

Follow up: How would you overdo it and thus embarrass yourself?

• Like 2

Fantastic Beasts was pretty good. I'm just thankful I didn't get spoiled, unlike La La Land, which I'll be watching tomorrow, but my own mother spoiled the ending on Christmas. Oh, the ending and the meet-cute. Am I still going to like this?

To be fair, the trailer fucking ruins part of the ending. They

show the same scene twice, and the version they use in the trailer is the later version, which was kind of infuriating

. But I hope you'll still love it!

Side note related to the Jurassic Park thing: ummm...the kind of corny mating dance thing with Newt was some shit that could have straight up been in Colin Shitterow's Jurassic World.

Another side note: Highlander 2 (and Highlander) is directed by Russell Mulcahy, who also directed The Shadow. More importantly, he directed one of Denzel Washington's first movies, Ricochet. It's completely bonkers, and I think it would be one of the most perfect HDTGM movies.

• Like 2

She's an especially good arranger - her Christmas gift to me the last two years were songs she arranged so we could play piano-saxophone duets at home (we live the high life up here in Canada).

I meant to say earlier, but that seriously does sound pretty awesome.

• Like 1

That's what I thought. But now I'm second guessing because that was Paul's first instinct, and he usually pronounces things wrong. Goddamnit, Cam Bert, where are you? How to you pronounce your name?!

• Like 5

That's what I thought. But now I'm second guessing because that was Paul's first instinct, and he usually pronounces things wrong. Goddamnit, Cam Bert, where are you? How to you pronounce your name?!

If it was spelled "Cambert" I'd be more inclined to accept a Frech accented pronunciation, but since it's separated by a space, I don't know why it would be anything but "Burt."

However, I will say, anyone here who recently signed up for a Letterboxd account knows exactly how to pronounce it...and I'm not going to spoil it ;)

• Like 3

So...who would everyone cosplay as if given the opportunity to go to a show?

Follow up: How would you overdo it and thus embarrass yourself?

I think you know my answer to this, based on my original identity here in the forum...

(NOTE: THAT IS NOT ME)

IMG_0516.jpg

And yes. Yes, I likely would. Or, worse, half-ass it and embarrass myself.

• Like 3

It's first thing in the morning in Japan right now. He'll be up soon to clear all this up!

• Like 2

It's first thing in the morning in Japan right now. He'll be up soon to clear all this up!

I like to think that moments ago he sat up in bed in a cold sweat and said, "Something's wrong..."

• Like 6

I like to think that moments ago he sat up in bed in a cold sweat and said, "Something's wrong..."

His Howdy sense is tingling?

• Like 5

His Howdy sense is tingling?

"Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal..."

• Like 6

Sign in to follow this