🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 153.5 - Minisode 153.5

I kinda assumed he was. I know he is a big deal in Canada. He has the Order of Canada and everything. I think a lot of this is based on the fact that working her in Japan I meet a lot of Americans, Australians and British people and I've never met one who knew who he was. I thought things like Bananaphone and that were so well known that everybody would know him but I just got blank stares. Again it could be an age thing but Lea seems to know him.

I only know "Bananaphone" because it played on one of the tapes we had to play at the toy store I worked at in high school.

I mostly know Raffi because of "Baby Beluga." I'm not sure where I first heard it, but it's probably his song I'm most familiar with.

• Like 4

I kinda assumed he was. I know he is a big deal in Canada. He has the Order of Canada and everything. I think a lot of this is based on the fact that working her in Japan I meet a lot of Americans, Australians and British people and I've never met one who knew who he was. I thought things like Bananaphone and that were so well known that everybody would know him but I just got blank stares. Again it could be an age thing but Lea seems to know him.

I'm not sure. I'd guess it's an age thing, but I grew up in Michigan with family in Ontario, so maybe I was just close enough to be exposed?

Wasn't Bananaphone a meme for a while? I would think that would be the most recognizable...

• Like 3

Well seeing as there is *some* interest in Raffi I will leave you all with Joshua Giraffe

• Like 4

Cameron, I finally got a chance to ask my wife your question! Here's her answer, almost verbatim:

"What kind of ukulele does he have? Is it a $40 piece of shit or a $300 concert ukulele, because that makes a difference?"

(I said I don't know, likely not the second one)

"I would play it the first way (third fret, A string), why make your life harder?"

Yeah, it's nothing extravagant so that may be the problem. Thank your wife for me!

BTW, you're interpretation of Down by the Bay gave me a good "laughing to myself in public" moment! You're so right, that song is tragic.

On another note, a children's song that has always made me feel a weird sense of sadness is "Hey Dum Diddly Dum" by Sharon, Lois, and Bram. I'm not sure if it's the minor chords or what, but it always evokes a sense of wistful nostalgia in me...

• Like 2

The first song I remember loving is Joshua Giraffe by Raffi. This is a bit hard to explain to anyone who is not a Canadian over the age of 25, but when I was growing up Raffi was the man. He was like a one man Wiggles. He sang a combination of classic folk songs and originals. Joshua Giraffe is this weird story song with weird sounds and shifts in tones. I think I loved it as a kid because it was a story and not so much a song.

Raffi is awesome. I don't recall Joshua Giraffe, but I can definitely say that Apples and Bananas has never left me. Also always enjoyed his cover of Octopus's Garden.

Holy shit y'all! Not Canadian but Raffi was actually fuckin' legit when I was a kid! I actually was eating an apple the other day and my cat seemed super interested in it so I started singing Apples and Bananas at him because that song has literally never left my brain. Also on the kids songs side of things - Trout Fishing in America was played a lot in my family lol.

• Like 4

Trout Fishing in America was played a lot in my family lol.

Trout Fishing in America? Does that have relationship to the Richard Brautigan novella by the same name?

• Like 1

Trout Fishing in America? Does that have relationship to the Richard Brautigan novella by the same name?

According to Wikipedia that is how they got their name!

• Like 2

Well, you're all wrong because Michelangelo (the 'Party Dude') was the best turtle. Also, Return to Oz is pretty awesome. VERY dark for a kids' movie. It was terrifying when I was a kid. I find mid-period Balk [American History X, Waterboy] to be quite attractive.

• Like 3

Also, just caught how in the minisode Paul says "There's a very lively discussion happening in the Escape from L.A. page, about 40% has to do with the movie." Nice.

• Like 3

I did it again...

I watched Highlander before watching Highlander 2...

giphy.gif

• Like 6

Omg guys, we went to a comic book store today and I happened to see THIS release

23wqwcy.jpg

My roommate's immediate reaction was: Two Kurt Russells for the price of one.

No, I did not buy them.

• Like 7

No, I did not buy them.

Oh, *Jason voice* fuuuuuuuuuck you, guy.

No for real

Jason-Mantzoukasmiddle-finger.gif

• Like 5

Oh, *Jason voice* fuuuuuuuuuck you, guy.

No for real

Jason-Mantzoukasmiddle-finger.gif

Send me $10, I'll go back and get them.

• Like 2

I did it again...

I watched Highlander before watching Highlander 2...

Well at least Highlander is a good action movie. From what I recall anyway. It has a kickass Queen soundtrack at least.

• Like 4

So quick question for you Highlander nerds out there, I got Highlander 2 on Prime Video, but it does not specify that it is the "Renegade" version. However, the one I got and the Blu-Ray for the "Renegade" edition have the same run time. Am I good?

So quick question for you Highlander nerds out there, I got Highlander 2 on Prime Video, but it does not specify that it is the "Renegade" version. However, the one I got and the Blu-Ray for the "Renegade" edition have the same run time. Am I good?

Based on the breakdown given on the nuts website I found the digital video version on Amazon is the Renegade version.

• Like 3

First of all, I am American and Raffi was the shit when I was a kid.

So, aside from keeping up with HDTGM movies and Musical Mondays, because I'm crazy, every Sunday night my family is also going through Disney's Animated Filmography in as close to chronological order as their "Vault" will allow. Tonight we watched Pinocchio.

Ho-Lee Shit!

Do you guys realize that there is a whole herd of little boys that are turned into donkeys, and subsequently carted off to the Salt Mines and other terrible places, and the movie never resolves this!!!

Pinocchio scared the crap out of me as a kid. This is why. I was traumatized. Everyone talks about how sad "Bambi" is and I was like "That was nothing! These little boys were turned into donkeys and kidnapped! It was human trafficking" And there was also the thing with the whale? It was very upsetting, in the words of June.

Also, an interesting follow up. I think I've mentioned before that I work with young children. Every Monday I show them an "English" video which consists of age appropriate things they might enjoy often English language movies or TV shows. It's very interesting to me what stuff they love and what stuff they hate, but that's for another time perhaps. Anyway, I have a DVD of the current Nickelodeon TMNT series and play it sometimes for them. Today I played it for them, and when it was done I decided to take a poll of the kids as to which turtle they liked most. So out of 30 Japanese kids the results were..

15 votes for Leonardo - Most common reason was he had swords and was cool

12 votes for Michelangelo - Most common reason was he's funny

3 votes for Donatello - Only reason given, he has cool things

0 votes Raphael - When I asked about him, they forgot who he was.

How young are these children? I'm concerned too many like Michelangelo when he's clearly unhinged. If they are very young I might let it slide, because they might just think he's funny.

• Like 6

Based on the breakdown given on the nuts website I found the digital video version on Amazon is the Renegade version.

498590bb4f6a963e94c22f3c435d4716.jpg

• Like 4

How young are these children? I'm concerned too many like Michelangelo when he's clearly unhinged. If they are very young I might let it slide, because they might just think he's funny.

That class would be... youngest 4 oldest 6. They don't also fully understand English, so they like it when he dances or falls down and stuff.

• Like 6

That class would be... youngest 4 oldest 6. They don't also fully understand English, so they like it when he dances or falls down and stuff.

Ok. I'll allow it.

• Like 8

Well my dad used to sing "Stand by Me" to me a lot but I really don't have many memories of that so idk if it counts.

Something that I do remember and will definitely show my age is The Toadies - Possum Kingdom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkwD5rQ-_d4

I was 4 years old when this was released and I couldn't properly pronounce "Jesus" and my mom thought it was the cutest thing she'd ever heard. TO THIS DAY if we hear this song together she'll say "Jejus" (it's also one of those stories that she loves to tell significant others and friends because that's not embarrassing at all).

Question: how many of you non-Texas types know this song/band? I'm kind of curious because they were a HUGE deal here in the mid-to-late-90s. Most of the singles off of Rubberneck are still staples of rock stations in Texas (at least, they are in D/FW and Austin). They were big draws for Edgefest in D/FW and Buzzfest in Houston, but most of their touring was either as openers for 90s bands like RHCP and Bush. Or when they headlined, they usually played with other Texas bands like The Reverend Horton Heat.

So, basically, I just wonder how big they were outside of Texas because they were a big fuckin' deal here.

• Like 4

Question: how many of you non-Texas types know this song/band? I'm kind of curious because they were a HUGE deal here in the mid-to-late-90s. Most of the singles off of Rubberneck are still staples of rock stations in Texas (at least, they are in D/FW and Austin). They were big draws for Edgefest in D/FW and Buzzfest in Houston, but most of their touring was either as openers for 90s bands like RHCP and Bush. Or when they headlined, they usually played with other Texas bands like The Reverend Horton Heat.

So, basically, I just wonder how big they were outside of Texas because they were a big fuckin' deal here.

Not huge, but well-known down in Florida. I'm not sure if I could name another song though without looking it up (I won't)

"Mungo City?" Is that a real song?

• Like 2

Never heard of them - I listened to the song because I thought maybe I'd know the track but not the band, but nope, nothing. That's not saying much though - Australia is an island in more than one way. 1994 I was 16, but mostly Australian music on the radio around then.

• Like 1

I wore this album out as a teenager. I'm from Iowa and I still live here.

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this