🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 153.5 - Minisode 153.5

The only people I've met who have heard of them outside of Texas seem to be huge music nerds. Jonah Ray likes to ask every guest on his podcast from Texas whether or not they are fans of them because he doesn't think anyone out of Texas likes them at all lol.

My personal favorite song by them. It's a fun one to do karaoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKbk7BPXBa4

• Like 2

The album after this one, Hell Below, Stars Above, is pretty good. Contains at least one blatant Pixies ripoff [the title track is a virtual rewrite of Something Against You]. Yes, I'm a huge music nerd.

• Like 1

Question: how many of you non-Texas types know this song/band? I'm kind of curious because they were a HUGE deal here in the mid-to-late-90s. Most of the singles off of Rubberneck are still staples of rock stations in Texas (at least, they are in D/FW and Austin). They were big draws for Edgefest in D/FW and Buzzfest in Houston, but most of their touring was either as openers for 90s bands like RHCP and Bush. Or when they headlined, they usually played with other Texas bands like The Reverend Horton Heat.

So, basically, I just wonder how big they were outside of Texas because they were a big fuckin' deal here.

Northeast checking in. I know this song and only this song.

• Like 5

My personal favorite song by them. It's a fun one to do karaoke.

I Come From The Water

• Like 1

I never realized it, but is Raffi a Canadian thing? I moved to America from Canada when I was only 6 months old, but my sister and I grew up listening to him. "Baby Beluga" was, and continues to be, the shit.

What you talking about Cameron H? I never heard of that guy in my life!

When it comes to canadian children's television, there can only be one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvMVQ_DgEJY

Kids, remember recorders are cool! the villagers are slowing grabing weapons and fire, as they slowly go up the hill to the castle doors. "ohh shit he's got a Recorder!" RUN FOR YOUR LIVE'S!"

The theme song was covered by a punk band once, I had recored it on tape off the radio. Ohh so wish I could share that with you all boys and girls. have no idea what the bands name is.

Ohh there was this other guy who liked to

.. I can't remember his name ether.

"Mungo City?" Is that a real song?

It is. It's just not by The Toadies. That's Spacehog.

• Like 1

It is. It's just not by The Toadies. That's Spacehog.

Oh, okay. Then just the one song.

As stated, I'm from Michigan. Never heard of The Toadies or that song before... but then again I've always been far behind in the music scene, so there's a lot I've never heard of.

• Like 2

As stated, I'm from Michigan. Never heard of The Toadies or that song before... but then again I've always been far behind in the music scene, so there's a lot I've never heard of.

Maybe you heard it in your childhood, but don't remember? :D

• Like 2

Yo, Texas people, HDTGM tickets should be going on sale at 10 AM tomorrow for everyone that couldn't get them. They've combined shows and moved it to the Paramount instead of the Stateside.

• Like 1

Maybe you heard it in your childhood, but don't remember? :D

Doubt it, since I don't recall my area having any sort of alternative radio station and was stuck with mostly oldies and easy listening lol;;

I didn't start expanding my listening selection till after I went to college. I'm pretty lame.

Yo, Texas people, HDTGM tickets should be going on sale at 10 AM tomorrow for everyone that couldn't get them. They've combined shows and moved it to the Paramount instead of the Stateside.

I am setting my alarm for tomorrow!

• Like 2

Apparently, hitting "quote" on mobile erases everything you've already typed out, so half of my previous post is missing....

Soooo anyway, I'm moving next week, and I literally packed up my movies last night, even though I knew next week was going to be Highlander 2. Conundrum: do I dig through the boxes I packed yesterday? or do I just take this as an opportunity to buy it on Blu-Ray and retire the DVD?

Life gives you hard choices sometimes, man.

Edit: my DVD is the American theatrical cut, so maybe this is an opportunity to buy the Renegade version.

I don't think you have the theatrical cut on DVD, unless it is a bootleg or foreign copy (I think there is a French DVD release with the US theatrical cut). We'd have to go VHS or Laserdisc for the "Zeist" alien cut of the film. Which is unfortunate. (I can already hear Jason screaming "WHAT???") If you're wanting to "upgrade", I recommend the Olive Films 2013 release of the Renegade cut. The DVD and blu-ray are practically identical PQ-wise, so grab whichever is cheaper.

• Like 1

So quick question for you Highlander nerds out there, I got Highlander 2 on Prime Video, but it does not specify that it is the "Renegade" version. However, the one I got and the Blu-Ray for the "Renegade" edition have the same run time. Am I good?

They're all basically the same. Anything that says Renegade cut is also the director's cut. There is also a "special edition" which is the same cut with touched up special effects (as if that was the problem). So regardless of packaging, if it is 109 minutes, you're watching the right one.

• Like 1

I wanted to draw and

15516pw.jpg

I have a thing for that fabulous hair.

• Like 8

I wanted to draw and

15516pw.jpg

I have a thing for that fabulous hair.

Snake is adorbs :)

• Like 5

Meh--my dumb joke bored me to death so here's a gif of a very sleepy sloth...

Enjoy!

cute-animals-baby-sloth-yawning-animated-gif-pics.gif

• Like 4

Question: how many of you non-Texas types know this song/band? I'm kind of curious because they were a HUGE deal here in the mid-to-late-90s. Most of the singles off of Rubberneck are still staples of rock stations in Texas (at least, they are in D/FW and Austin). They were big draws for Edgefest in D/FW and Buzzfest in Houston, but most of their touring was either as openers for 90s bands like RHCP and Bush. Or when they headlined, they usually played with other Texas bands like The Reverend Horton Heat.

So, basically, I just wonder how big they were outside of Texas because they were a big fuckin' deal here.

West coast Canadian teenager around that time and I didn't know it sorry. However, for some reason I do know The Reverend Horton Heat.

• Like 2

West coast Canadian teenager around that time and I didn't know it sorry. However, for some reason I do know The Reverend Horton Heat.

This is acceptable (I love the Rev)

I finished watching this, which I hadn't seen in, like, 10 years or more. It's a hot mess. dask360 was right, and I did already have the Renegade version. I had the changes backwards in my head and thought the one with the alien plotline was the Renegade and the time travel one was the theatrical cut.

ANYWAY, I can't wait for this episode. I really wish June was going to be on it because I can only imagine her losing her shit over this movie. I kind of wish/hope they do Endgame at some point because the only thing worse than this movie is throwing Adrian Paul into the equation. Then again, they'd have to do Highlander III/The Final Dimension/The Magician/The Final Fight (all various names for the same movie) first.

• Like 3

This is the type of quality comment on my art that I live for

17s96o.jpg

• Like 6

Question: how many of you non-Texas types know this song/band?

Practically inescapable for a while. Of course, in the nineties MTV and alt-rock stations held a lot more sway with popular music.
  • Like 1

I really wish June was going to be on it because I can only imagine her losing her shit over this movie. I kind of wish/hope they do Endgame at some point because the only thing worse than this movie is throwing Adrian Paul into the equation. Then again, they'd have to do Highlander III/The Final Dimension/The Magician/The Final Fight (all various names for the same movie) first.

Bummer! I must have missed that June wouldn't be on it. I got so excited when Paul said it made her mad. The Sorcerer was another Highlander III subtitle. It could have also been called, "Didn't you learn your lesson?" or, "Welcome back, dum-dums." Speaking of which, I like how the movie dubbed The Quickening makes absolutely no mention of the Quickening.

• Like 1

June appeared on a podcast called Terribly Funny (SoundCloud, iTunes) this week, and my main takeaways from her story are:

1. She and Paul have gone through hell in the past year.

2. It's amazing that they've found the wherewithal to record new episodes of HDTGM at all.

3. We listeners should be extra thankful as a result.

• Like 9

June appeared on a podcast called Terribly Funny (SoundCloud, iTunes) this week, and my main takeaways from her story are:

1. She and Paul have gone through hell in the past year.

2. It's amazing that they've found the wherewithal to record new episodes of HDTGM at all.

3. We listeners should be extra thankful as a result.

Holy shit is June amazing.

• Like 5

Sign in to follow this