🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays--Week 3--Tommy

Maybe I wasn't watching carefully enough but I figured that the 'strip club' was the old 'rite-of-passage' cliche of an older man taking a younger man to lose his virginity, but in this case he sent him in to the Acid Queen. I associated this with a brothel setting, but I was likely just not listening carefully. The impression I got was that this was a place that Frank felt comfortable, though, and he seemed like the kind of man who would have his home life and his brothel life in balance...

Oh yeah that's what I was talking about. I thought maybe there was another scene I missed.

To me I didn't get the sense that he took Tommy there as a right of passage. Rather that he was forced to keep Tommy around him because no one else could watch him, and it's not like Tommy would know where Frank was taking him. Then that other dude that actually worked there was kinda like hey I got an idea... Tina Turner.

• Like 4

Oh yeah that's what I was talking about. I thought maybe there was another scene I missed.

To me I didn't get the sense that he took Tommy there as a right of passage. Rather that he was forced to keep Tommy around him because no one else could watch him, and it's not like Tommy would know where Frank was taking him. Then that other dude that actually worked there was kinda like hey I got an idea... Tina Turner.

Great, now I feel even ickier about the whole thing. The guy in the booth (see the imgur link) seemed to know Frank pretty well. I didn't watch the whole thing through again just to get that screengrab, but they seemed... acquainted.

http://imgur.com/bU474p5

• Like 2

Great, now I feel even ickier about the whole thing. The guy in the booth (see the imgur link) seemed to know Frank pretty well. I didn't watch the whole thing through again just to get that screengrab, but they seemed... acquainted.

http://imgur.com/bU474p5

Lol I think there is a disconnect here because I'm not saying they weren't! But it was that dude who tapped on Frank's shoulder and then pointed at Tommy, then Frank nods.

• Like 2

Okay, so when I was on IMDb trying to figure out who the creepy guy with the eyebrows in the strip club booth was, I noticed some stuff.

So, we have already covered how Keith Moon plays Uncle Ernie, and the less said about that is likely for the best. Uncle Ernie shows up a couple of times (he comes to Tommy's Camp at the end) so we'll discount those moments.

But there's a weird meta moment in the Church scene, where Eric Clapton appears, not as himself, but as The Preacher, doing his Eric Clapton thing but in character, in service of the story. Fine. This is something that would be, incidentally, perfected not five years later in The Blues Brothers (contemporary blues stars playing roles but really just playing themselves). But, in the same church scene, Pete Townshend and John Entwhistle appear with their instruments, essentially working for The Church as deacons (?!) and playing to accompany the Preacher's stuff. Later, the same thing happens when Elton John appears as The Pinball Wizard (wait WHAT? isn't TOMMY the pinball wizard? Or is whoever wears that toque with a ball on it the PW?), in his awesome shoes, and the Who essentially perform as themselves to backup the duel scene. Later again, the Who all appear in Tommy's Camp, performing with their instruments (or do they? I'm only remembering Keith Moon so maybe it's Uncle Ernie).

Point is, Entwhistle and Townshend (boo, hiss) are credited on IMDb as 'himself', while Moon and Daltry are only credited as their characters. So, we have the set up that The Who exist in this world and play to support the things that are happening - and that Uncle Ernie and Tommy happen to be part of the band. Surely this fractures the continuity of the world if The Who exist here?

Also, it's notable that director Ken Russell has an uncredited role as 'Cripple'. Ten bucks to the first person who finds Ken in the Tommy's Camp scene.

• Like 3

Maybe I wasn't watching carefully enough but I figured that the 'strip club' was the old 'rite-of-passage' cliche of an older man taking a younger man to lose his virginity, but in this case he sent him in to the Acid Queen. I associated this with a brothel setting, but I was likely just not listening carefully. The impression I got was that this was a place that Frank felt comfortable, though, and he seemed like the kind of man who would have his home life and his brothel life in balance...

That's pretty much exactly what's happening. Per the lyrics (minus the ones added for the sake of the movie)

If your child ain't all he should be now

This girl will put him right

I'll show you what he could be now

Just give me one night, one night

I'm the gypsy, the acid queen

Pay before we start

I'm the gypsy, I'm guaranteed

I'll tear your soul apart

Give us a room and close the door

Leave us for a while

Your boy won't be a boy no more

Young but not a child

Gather your wits and hold on fast

Your mind must learn to roam

Just as the gypsy queen must do

You're gonna hit the road

My work is done now look at him

He's never been more alive

His head, it shakes, his fingers clutch

Watch his body writhe

If your child ain't all he should be now

This girl will put him right

I'll show you what he could be now

Just give me one night, one night

On another topic, what was the deal with Jack Nicholson's doctor. He tells them he's run all these tests and that, to all outward appearance Tommy seems to be fine, but as he's saying it he's eyebrow hitting on Tommy's mom. Like, what was that about? It never gets brought up again. There's no fallout. We never see her cheat on Frank or anything. And he basically disappears.

Was that an actor choice or is there some greater significance that I'm missing?

• Like 1

Later, the same thing happens when Elton John appears as The Pinball Wizard (wait WHAT? isn't TOMMY the pinball wizard? Or is whoever wears that toque with a ball on it the PW?), in his awesome shoes...

Noooo.....Elton John is The Bally Table King. He hands over the pinball crown to Tommy, who is the Pinball Wizard. Duh.

• Like 4

Later, the same thing happens when Elton John appears as The Pinball Wizard (wait WHAT? isn't TOMMY the pinball wizard? Or is whoever wears that toque with a ball on it the PW?)

Tommy ascends to Pinball Wizard by beating Elton. I read recently, can't remember where, that the song Pinball Wizrd song was kind of a throw away song that Pete (Boo!) Townsend wrote at the last second begrudgingly. Kind of funny when you consider how much of the "story" hinges on it...

Also, it's notable that director Ken Russell has an uncredited role as 'Cripple'. Ten bucks to the first person who finds Ken in the Tommy's Camp scene.

Oh, might it have been the not-at-all-offensive portrayal of the guy in front?

• Like 1

On another topic, what was the deal with Jack Nicholson's doctor. He tells them he's run all these tests and that, to all outward appearance Tommy seems to be fine, but as he's saying it he's eyebrow hitting on Tommy's mom. Like, what was that about? It never gets brought up again. There's no fallout. We never see her cheat on Frank or anything. And he basically disappears.

Was that an actor choice or is there some greater significance that I'm missing?

I thought that was Jack Nicholson being Jack Nicholson.

• Like 4

Tommy ascends to Pinball Wizard by beating Elton. I read recently, can't remember where, that the song Pinball Wizrd song was kind of a throw away song that Pete (Boo!) Townsend wrote at the last second begrudgingly. Kind of funny when you consider how much of the "story" hinges on it...

Also how it's the best part of the whole musical...

• Like 4

Noooo.....Elton John is The Bally Table King. He hands over the pinball crown to Tommy, who is the Pinball Wizard. Duh.

Beat me too it!

tumblr_inline_mgdwa2MkRM1rdvens.gif

• Like 4

Not according to IMDb! Elton's credited as the Pinball Wizard. Maybe it should be 'Pinball Wizard/Former Pinball Wizard after that one song'

• Like 2

Not according to IMDb! Elton's credited as the Pinball Wizard. Maybe it should be 'Pinball Wizard/Former Pinball Wizard after that one song'

wibd.gif

• Like 3

wibd.gif

From Professor Wikipedia:

The lyrics are written from the perspective of a pinball champion, called "Local Lad" in the Tommy libretto book, astounded by the skills of the opera's eponymous main character, Tommy Walker: "What makes him so good?; He ain't got no distractions; Can't hear those buzzers and bells; Don't see lights a flashin'; Plays by sense of smell.; Always has a replay; Never tilts at all; That deaf dumb and blind kid; Sure plays a mean pin ball.", and "I thought I was the Bally table king, but I just handed my pinball crown to him".

• Like 2

Hey! Not to jump on to a new topic of conversation too fast, but can we flag the fact that Tommy, per the song 'Pinball Wizard',

"Plays By Sense of Smell"?

tumblr_inline_mqgyzvbhhP1rkaofe.gif

How's that work? Exactly?

• Like 2

Hey! Not to jump on to a new topic of conversation too fast, but can we flag the fact that Tommy, per the song 'Pinball Wizard',

"Plays By Sense of Smell"?

How's that work? Exactly?

He smells the metal.

????

• Like 2

Just a little piece I like to call "The Missionary."

The Missionary by Cameron H.

It cracks me up that you had a tab open for "How do I paste." Also, did you ever answer the question about your day job?

• Like 5

So, all this talk about the Pinball Wizard scene and no one's mentioned yet that Elton John has a keyboard ON THE FUCKING PINBALL MACHINE that disappears once Tommy takes over. Are they using a different machine (note: I honestly don't care to go back and watch to see if it's the same machine or not nor do I ever want to see a single second of this movie over again)?

Also, maybe Elton would have kept his fucking title if he had decided to play pinball instead of jamming out some sweet tunes.

• Like 3

So, all this talk about the Pinball Wizard scene and no one's mentioned yet that Elton John has a keyboard ON THE FUCKING PINBALL MACHINE that disappears once Tommy takes over. Are they using a different machine (note: I honestly don't care to go back and watch to see if it's the same machine or not nor do I ever want to see a single second of this movie over again)?

Also, maybe Elton would have kept his fucking title if he had decided to play pinball instead of jamming out some sweet tunes.

Maybe Elton was genuinely tired of being the Pinball Wizard and threw the competition.

• Like 4

It cracks me up that you had a tab open for "How do I paste." Also, did you ever answer the question about your day job?

Nope. :)

And, how DO you paste? I never did find out...

• Like 2

Yeah, they had to use different machines. Elton's machine was set up higher to accommodate the extra height from his stilt boots.

• Like 3

More so then say Tommy Wiseau? But Lisa, I have more quarters. Why can't I stay and play? I guess I could be wrong here, he was more of a football wizard. LOL

he's a football wizard there has to be a twist.

• Like 1

Has anyone found them self's still hearing some of the songs from Tommy? the term for that is called "Earworm"

If so what song do you got dancing around in your head?

For me it's "Uncle Ernie" I got Ann Margaret saying do you think it's all right.

How could you effectively rock that hard on that tiny keyboard without tilting the machine either?

Also, are we to believe that in this world pinball is a broadcast TV sport?

• Like 2