🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Paywall Special Announcement

Howl's web site is infuriatingly useless. Can someone who subscribes to Howl explain this to me?

I want to listen to the HGTGM Birdemic episode on my iPod nano. I don't have an iPhone, and my Android phone is on a limited data plan (so no streaming) and has limited storage space (so no downloads, and actually I don't even have enough room to download another app). The iPod Nano is not an iOS device, so I can't use anything that requires an app.

QUESTION: If I sign up for howl.fm, will I be able to download the Birdemic episode and play it on my iPod Nano?

Paul mentioned Dan Carlin's podcasts in the announcement. You can buy all of Dan Carlin's old episodes individually (which I have done). Is there a way to buy individual HDGTM/Earwolf podcasts that doesn't require an iPhone or Android app?

(I'm not paying for a year of this fucked idea up front)

That earwolf would do this, that paul would "be a company man" as he himself stated but I'm really surprised that Jason would buckle.

You do a lot of name calling. People are upset; your attempt at minimizing their feelings by calling them names for expressing their anger/disappointment is inappropriate. If you think all is fine, maybe express that feeling rather than attacking others.

So, to be clear: you can insult Earwolf ("fucked up idea"), and pretty much call Paul and Jason sell-outs while leaving June out of the equation completely (because women can't make decisions for themselves, right?), but how dare I say some people are acting like twats? OK, as long as I know where the line is; it changes to suit each person's righteous indignation.

• Like 1

So, to be clear: you can insult Earwolf ("fucked up idea"), and pretty much call Paul and Jason sell-outs while leaving June out of the equation completely (because women can't make decisions for themselves, right?), but how dare I say some people are acting like twats?

You cannot leap to the defense of a woman's autonomy and defend your right to use a gendered slur in the same sentence, bro.

• Like 8

Howl's web site is infuriatingly useless. Can someone who subscribes to Howl explain this to me?

I want to listen to the HGTGM Birdemic episode on my iPod nano. I don't have an iPhone, and my Android phone is on a limited data plan (so no streaming) and has limited storage space (so no downloads, and actually I don't even have enough room to download another app). The iPod Nano is not an iOS device, so I can't use anything that requires an app.

QUESTION: If I sign up for howl.fm, will I be able to download the Birdemic episode and play it on my iPod Nano?

Paul mentioned Dan Carlin's podcasts in the announcement. You can buy all of Dan Carlin's old episodes individually (which I have done). Is there a way to buy individual HDGTM/Earwolf podcasts that doesn't require an iPhone or Android app?

From what I understand, no.

You cannot leap to the defense of a woman's autonomy and defend your right to use a gendered slur in the same sentence, bro.

I have to agree with Dan on this.

• Like 3

I have to agree with Dan on this.

Yeah, I guess I do too. Sorry I was a dick.

• Like 2

So, to be clear: you can insult Earwolf ("fucked up idea"), and pretty much call Paul and Jason sell-outs while leaving June out of the equation completely (because women can't make decisions for themselves, right?), but how dare I say some people are acting like twats? OK, as long as I know where the line is; it changes to suit each person's righteous indignation.

I'd like to hear the story of how your last account got locked out. Sounds far fetched.

• Like 1

I listened to one episode of CBB and didn't really get it (it's a hard show to get into from just a random episode). But the Earwolf homepage slideshow had HDTGM in it, and it was the LOL episode with Chelsea Peretti and Rob Huebel. I love Chelsea, so I decided to check it out, and I laughed so goddamn hard.

Same! I did NOT like CBB first time I heard it, I just did not get it. Though in all fairness, my first 5 or so listens was in my friends car and he would just start an episode where he left off, so it would be like no context and all of a sudden it's Pamela from Big Bear. It wasn't until I watched the TV show that i understood the whole thing and what was happening and what the "point" was. I thought it was just idiots making pussy jokes at each other (which it IS, but like I'm in on it now so it's cool?)

HDTGM was my "gateway" show into Earwolf and got into a lot of the Wolfpop shows before they combined everything which then led me back to other Earwolf stuff (CBB, Spont.)

Just wanted to say again, thank you, Paul! Really appreciate the update and am glad you guys are working so hard to find a solution.

• Like 2

Well as someone that listens to his podcasts on his MP3 player white exercising and swimming, I guess I just can't listen to the older episodes any more, since you can't download them to an mp3 player. Also, where is the $2.91 price coming from? The Howl site says $4.99/month. You know, if I want to just take my laptop swimming with me.

• Like 1

I hope, one day, for all our sakes, we can stop talking about this and move on with our lives.

#lesshyperbolemorehilarity

• Like 5

You cannot legally download the podcasts from the Howl site, so no if you don't have iPhone or Android, and don't want to listen from the computer, then you are SOL.

He was referring to the rotating set of archived episodes that will be available for free in the regular podcast feed. You can download all of the ones available today, and grab the next set when they're rotated several months from now. After a few of these cycles, you'll eventually have all of them.

Alternately, Howl provides the complete archive of all episodes with no ad interruptions.

Is there a way of seeing which ones are available without having to go through each one?

Is there a way of seeing which ones are available without having to go through each one?

You can check out the show's iTunes page in your browser for a list of currently available episodes.

You can also subscribe to the RSS feed in an RSS reader (I like Feedly) and get notifications/download links when new episodes arrive.

• Like 1

Well as someone that listens to his podcasts on his MP3 player white exercising and swimming, I guess I just can't listen to the older episodes any more, since you can't download them to an mp3 player. Also, where is the $2.91 price coming from? The Howl site says $4.99/month. You know, if I want to just take my laptop swimming with me.

The $2.91 price is explained on this post: http://forum.earwolf.com/topic/42205-paywall-special-announcement/page__view__findpost__p__237808

After listening to the paywall episode in full and reading paul's comments, I have to say that its an overwhelmingly fair compromise. There shouldnt be any more hurt feelings from either side of the debate.

People who have the Howl App have the benefits of having immediate full access to the earwolf collection of podcasts ad-free, and also helping to support the fine people who allow these wonderful shows to happen.

Those who dont want to go with the howl app, either out of protest or the means to support multiple subscription services. You can eventually download all episodes directly from soundcloud when they are released later on in the cycle.

Even the poster above who wants to download Birdemic to his ipod nano has the ability to do so through the old episodes already backlogged on youtube.

Any talk of HDTGM needing to go independent or that the hosts are being sell-outs is beyond silly.

• Like 2

I'm sorry I got bitchy in here yesterday. If I created a show to bring people joy and I read some of the comments I was seeing, it would have made me feel like crap. Wasn't my place to get defensive. I'm staying out of it from now on.

• Like 1

I know it's been said that the infamous Smurfs episode is available, but it's not on the Howl iOS app.

I'm cool with it. Here's my take. I can download the episodes when they first air, listen to them at my leisure, and then keep them around in case I want to re-listen. Or I can subscribe, download the episodes (ad free), listen to them at my leisure, and then keep them around in case I want to re-listen. That's what I used to do with WTF. But eventually they gave me a third option. They hooked up with aspecialthing records, and manufactured a 2-disc set with the first 100 episodes on it. You better believe I bought the hell out of that. Sure, I already had them available to me via their app -- but I prefer physical media. And sure I could have burned them to disc myself, but I also like cover art and inserts and booklets and crap. I know that isn't free to produce, it also doesn't generate any bandwidth when I decide to revisit something.

• Like 1

I have absolutely no problem paying a reasonable price for quality content. This allows the artists to continue to produce content with the best talent and equipment available, and for it to be distributed across a quality medium. I appreciate the team respecting the desires and needs of the listeners, but the artists also deserve a fair wage for the content they produce and if ad sales and a low monthly subscription rate allow for that, then it is totally cool. What is not cool is expecting people to produce content for you for free. The artists work their butts off, produce a great podcast, and should reap the benefits of that.

• Like 3

Hi all,

I never post on these things, so please excuse me if my tone or style is off :-)

Like many here, I got into HDTGM by chance encounter, and became hooked almost immediately. The fact that it was completely free was obviously a major factor, and the full access to the archive also. After listening to a few of the newer reviews, I spent all afternoon one day trawling through the archive for films I recognised and downloaded them feverishly. Since then, my early morning drive to work and often my evening drive home have been an absolute joy thanks to this podcast.

Whilst it is a shame that such a radical change has happened virtually overnight, upon hearing Paul's explanation this morning, I immediately went on to the howl website and subscribed for a year.

I really do not feel that $35 is much to ask for a year's access to this excellent, quality entertainment. I often hear on the podcast of people freely donating hundreds of dollars just out of the kindness of their hearts, and they get nothing for it except for Paul's praise and gratefulness.

Guys, this sucks, we know it does, but so do a lot of things in life.

Paul, June, Jason: you've taken the oddest of odd ideas and turned it into a cultural tour de force, and I am more than happy to give you a small fee for your hard work.

All the best from Germany!

Stu.

• Like 3

This doesn't really affect me because I have every episode already downloaded and store away. But just wanted to offer a thank you to Paul, Jason and June for their hard work. I wont subscribe to Howl as HDTGM is really the only podcast I listen to on the network but I will try and donate more frequently or just buy some merch every so often.

Thanks again Paul, Jason and June!

• Like 3