nosebear

Your top 3 favorite comedians alive right now.

1. Paul

2. F.

3. Tompkins

and also Louis C.K. and Patton Oswalt. Really tough to chose just 3, though.

1. Maria Bamford

2. Patton Oswalt

3. Louis CK

If any of them slips up then Chelsea Peretti is waiting to take their spot, but, really, one of those three would have to retire.

Jon Daly

Trey Parker

Paul F. Tompkins

But on any given day there's probably 15 different comedians who would be in my top 3.

Paul F. Tompkins

Jen Kirkman

Tig Notaro

• Like 2

PFT

Louis CK

John Mulaney

alternate list

Gallagher

Gallagher 2

Jim Gallagherifgan

Mulaney is gonna be huge, he is hilarious. Check out his You Made It Weird if you haven't. I guess the two of them shared an office in NY for a while, some funny stories.

Are you being serious about Jim Gaffigan? He gives me the chuckles but he leans heavily on those voices he does. Or should I just accept that it's his shtick and move on?

The writers of Xavier: Renegade Angel

Oh my goodness, I went through a brief period of my life maybe five, six years ago where all I did was get stoned and watch this show. It doesn't have the same effect on me anymore because I've seen it so many times but man, that is some grade A genuine gonzo shit. What would the Dadaists think about that show? What would Dadaists think about popular culture in general nowadays? Everything is so absurdist.

My three:

Cake Boss

Mitch Hedburg, dead but his stuff still makes me laugh until I cry.

Anthony Lopez, local guy here in Portland who will blow up soon; he has this great bit about TMNT he closes his sets with.

Honorary mention for Reggie Watts, because he is more on another dimensional plane than straight stand-up. But he's amazing.

1. Louis C.K.

2. Pete Holmes

3. Anthony Jeselnik

such a tricky thing to get down to just 3, but here goes:

1. PFT

2. Stewart Lee

3. David Cross

4. Notaro, Oswalt, Bamford, C.K., Scovel, Buress, Ansari...

OK I fucked up the list

My top 3 would be Russell Peters, Louis CK and purely based on the comedic talent he exhibits on his talk show......Craig Ferguson. I know that besides Louis CK the other two aren't very popular on this thread, but seriously you should give Russell Peters a try. My top 3 would be Russell Peters, Louis CK and purely based on the comedic talent he exhibits on his talk show......Craig Ferguson. I know that besides Louis CK the other two aren't very popular on this thread, but seriously you should give Russell Peters a try.

Stewart Lee

Daniel Kitson

Louis CK

Glad to see so many Stewart Lee fans! And one other Kitson fan!

2. Stewart Lee

Stewart Lee

Daniel Kitson

UK represent!

Glad to see so many Stewart Lee fans! And one other Kitson fan!

I like Dan Kitson but the last show i saw him perform he seemed a bit off for me, just nudged him off the list.

sidenote Top uk comics:

stewart lee

simon munnery

josie long

dan kitson

I like Dan Kitson but the last show i saw him perform he seemed a bit off for me, just nudged him off the list.

sidenote Top uk comics:

stewart lee

simon munnery

josie long

dan kitson

Classic comedy nerd list! Basically the same as mine, although I've never seen simon munnery, so I guess I would have to throw him out.

If you haven't heard it I recommend Josie Long's podcast lost treasures of the black heart (http://www.losttreasurespodcast.com/) which is basically an hour and a half of free stand up and/or Josie Long improvising.

I've always felt like the mainstream US comedy scene kicks the UK's ass, but the UK alternative scene has the edge in terms of how experimental and weird it can get. But maybe I just haven't been exposed to enough US comics.