🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 154 - Highlander II: The Quickening LIVE!

They talked about the score a bit during the ep, and it's true that Stewart Copeland did write all the new music for it. But did anyone else notice that they used instrumental versions of some of the Queen songs from the first movie? They definitely use "Who Wants to Live Forever"in one of the scenes with Connor and Louise. And I remember there being at least one other (maybe "A Kind of Magic"?)

• Like 3

They talked about the score a bit during the ep, and it's true that Stewart Copeland did write all the new music for it. But did anyone else notice that they used instrumental versions of some of the Queen songs from the first movie? They definitely use "Who Wants to Live Forever"in one of the scenes with Connor and Louise. And I remember there being at least one other (maybe "A Kind of Magic"?)

"Who Wants to Live Forever" was used often. Too often. Possibly in every scene with them together (at least it felt like it) and maybe again in the flashback to his wife? "A Kind of Magic" was on the jukebox in the bar, but I can't recall if there was an instrumental version.

• Like 1

I know there was a twitter link in a previous page but this is the guy Jason hates and he tweeted the meme and then the @htdgm account re-tweeted it

https://twitter.com/...558252001087488

I now legitimately hate that guy as well. Thanks for sharing! Although, I'd argue that I hate well over half the audience members they talk to. Jason is always there to tear into them, so it's okay.

One of my favorite lines in Highlander II was when John C. McGinley tells Katana, "You see, I always play the favorite." Because that's how you get rich in the world of Evil Business--always play it safe, never take any calculated risks.

• Like 1

Let's go back to "The Prize" here for a second. According to the original film, the Prize is described as "a special ability which is given to the last living immortal warrior, vast knowledge and the ability to enslave the entire human race." So, Immortals are part of a forced conflict called The Game, which is chopping off every Immortal's head until you're the last and win The Prize. Now, The Gathering is a subconscious summoning effect that forces the Immortals to participate in The Game. Here's a quote from Ramirez from the first film:

"... when there are only a few of us left, we will feel an irresistible pull towards a far away land ... to fight for the prize ..."

The film definitively ENDS...which is what makes the sequel murky from the get-go. The Kurgan wants power and chaos and to dominate and MacLeod wants to be left alone, find love, and settle down. So, he beats the bad guy, gets the girl, and gains his mortality (and infinite knowledge...so that's cool). Story over. All of this gets really fucked up when you incorporate the time travel element. The tacked on stipulation that he can travel back makes even less sense!

What's crazy about all of this is that Katana is willing to execute them right away and they tell him he can't. Fast forward a few hundred years and they're like, "Shit, he may choose to come back. We should probably kill him." I imagine it took Katana a great deal of self-restraint to not say, "That's what I've been saying!"

Also, their rules of exile have a very Gamer-esque flaw. Basically, all these Immortal political prisoners are exiled to another time/planet/plane of existence where they are left to accumulate power by killing one another, but doesn't this means that only the most powerful Immortal--with the most experience murdering people--will be allowed to return to their time/planet/plane of existence? I mean, I get that's why they're concerned, but those were the rules they set up--which are really stupid.

Finally, who cares if he DOES choose to return, you've mastered fucking time travel! If it looks like he's going to make that choice, just send some guys back--I don't know--a few days, weeks, months, whatever before he makes that decision. Jesus! Time travel is wasted on the chronically dumb.

Connor MADE his choice! There was no question of him coming back, and in fact, sending the porcupine brothers was the catalyst of The Game starting all over again. Was that the goal? Are we to assume they want to enslave Zeist? Give Katana the Prize so he can rule? What do they want?? If so, like Cameron H. pointed out...there are infinite ways to manipulate ANY of that with no risk. But I think WE'RE all overthinking it, because the real explanation is nobody involved in the movie knew what was going on. That fact has now been heavily documented.

• Like 4

I just loved this moment...

News Anchor: Cobalt is known to be headed by environmental terrorist Louise Marcus who led the raid and remains at large at this time.

MacLeod: Pretty girl.

facepalm-gif-33.gif

That's right, Highlander. You hear about a capable, intelligent, and formidable woman and you reduce her right down to her looks. Bravo.

• Like 3

I don't usually do legit corrections, but here's one.

In the episode, Paul brought up how he thought it was weird that MacLeod had to explain to Ramirez what a sculpture is. Paul argued that sculptures have been around for a long time and Ramirez should have been familiar with them.

Here's a picture of the sculpture in question.

highlanderIIseanfight.jpg

As you can see on the right, the sculpture isn't like a marble bust or something, but a rectangular box with angel wings and three soda bottles inside.

So, the joke isn't so much that Ramirez doesn't know what a sculpture is but more "isn't modern art dumb."

• Like 6

I don't usually do legit corrections, but here's one.

In the episode, Paul brought up how he thought it was weird that MacLeod had to explain to Ramirez what a sculpture is. Paul argued that sculptures have been around for a long time and Ramirez should have been familiar with them.

Here's a picture of the sculpture in question.

highlanderIIseanfight.jpg

As you can see on the right, the sculpture isn't like a marble bust or something, but a rectangular box with angel wings and three soda bottles inside.

So, the joke isn't so much that Ramirez doesn't know what a sculpture is but more "isn't modern art dumb."

I really hope this piece is proudly displayed in the home of one of the crew members. That is if Lambert didn't call dibs on it.

• Like 3

Re: Blue Apron ad. Furikake is pronounced as hoo-lee-ka--kay.

June: "On a day-to-day basis, what does a Highlander do?"

Love that June plugged Bitch Sesh. For fans of June, I highly recommend the Halloween Spectacular Live episode. She has a different energy when doing Bitch Sesh. More ... engaged? Maybe because she cares about reality shows (which you don't need to have watched to enjoy Bitch Sesh).

• Like 2

Love that June plugged Bitch Sesh. For fans of June, I highly recommend the Halloween Spectacular Live episode. She has a different energy when doing Bitch Sesh. More ... engaged? Maybe because she cares about reality shows (which you don't need to have watched to enjoy Bitch Sesh).

No, according to Paul, it's funrocky.

+1 for Bitch Sesh. I never miss a week and I don't even watch those housewives shows.

• Like 3

I meant to bring this up, too. It almost doubles as a jab at MacLeod for even having concern for it. "What, this piece of shit?"

• Like 1

June: On a day-to-day basis, what does a Highlander do?

Speaking of sculptures... In the TV series (at least early on), Duncan MacLeod is an antiques dealer. I always thought that was a clever profession/cover. He'd have had 400 years to collect shit and hone his skills.

"Nope, that's definitely 17th century...trust me."

• Like 3

Highlander II: The Trumpening

It doesn't make a lot of sense and there's more than just a whiff of sexual impropriety

Highlander III: The Plisskening

The indestructibility of Snake Plissken is finally explained

I hate to be that guy but it's actually "foo-re-ka-kay" (in IPA it's basically the same furikakeɪ)

As someone who lives in Japan this has been driving crazy over the past month with no podcast host being able to say it right.

• Like 2

I hate to be that guy but it's actually "foo-re-ka-kay"

As someone who lives in Japan this has been driving crazy over the past month with no podcast host being able to say it right.

PFT does a decent job, don't you think?

• Like 2

Okay, not to go back to the whole time travel stuff because as dask360 pointed out we are all spending more time thinking about this than anyone in this movie did, but I just one more thing to say. When you really think about it, I think the producers may have been right to change it to aliens from time travel.

Okay you are a race of immortals with time travel capabilities and you can view into the future. You gaze into your machine and look into the future and what do you see? A society in which none of you are alive or around anymore. So, wouldn't you start to wonder at this point what happens to us? The options are that they leave the planet or kill each other off. That or they just go way way far in the future and leave a couple thousand year window open for the purpose of the game. Don't you think that if you were an immortal sent into the future though you'd be curious what happened to your people? I mean there has to be evidence but did any of them ever look into this? No. Well they could be in hiding I hear you say. That can't be because if they were MacLeod couldn't gain the prize could he?

I'd like to think that after showing this cut to the producers they all sat around a table and brought up all the points dask, Cameron and I made before one of them was just like "Fuck it, they're aliens and they send them to the far off planet of earth" at which point everybody sighed over how relatively plot hole free aliens are compared to time travel.

• Like 3

PFT does a decent job, don't you think?

Yes. Of all the shows I listen to he is the best.

I feel bad that I kinda expect him to say it right more so than other hosts. Due to his fondness for Uatu the Watcher I just kinda assume he's the same and sees all and knows all.

• Like 3

i would love it if jason went to the razzies, brought paul as his +1, and then went up for any award that dirty grandpa might win

"what's up jerkkksss ... fuuuucccckkkkk yyyoooouuuu!!!!"

although i can't see grandpa getting any awards this year with all those superheroes around

is this the first razzie nomination for a movie paul, jason or june had a part in?

• Like 1

There are some sequels that are so bad that they make the original movie worse. One that comes to mind is Spiderman 3. The 2002 Toby Mcguire, Sam Rami, Spiderman changed Uncle Ben's death to a carjacking right as the criminal is allowed to escape, which is a subtle change that makes more sense than happenstance later like the 1962 comic book versoin. Then Spiderman 3 attempts to shoehorn into that origin story that it was actually Sandman? Blech (Not to mention evil Peter dancing). Highlander 2 is one of those movies. Sitting in a movie theater in 1991, when it was revealed they are aliens, there was a lull in the sound/dialogue and you could hear a patron say loudly, "Aliens ?!?! They are f*#$ing Aliens ?!?!". It actually made the first movie worse.

• Like 1

I'd like to think that after showing this cut to the producers they all sat around a table and brought up all the points dask, Cameron and I made before one of them was just like "Fuck it, they're aliens and they send them to the far off planet of earth" at which point everybody sighed over how relatively plot hole free aliens are compared to time travel.

Now imagine what kind of sick and twisted mind it would take to do that in reverse. Because I think that is what actually happened.

• Like 1

I hate to be that guy but it's actually "foo-re-ka-kay" (in IPA it's basically the same furikakeɪ)

I have taken 3 years of college Japanese--where oral exams are part of the curriculum--taught by native Japanese speakers, and except for 2 'B's, have gotten all 'A's. Obviously, that is no comparison to someone who has lived in Japan for years, but I'm also not someone who taught myself Japanese so I can read scanned untranslated manga online. Since Paul has trouble even pronouncing "Louise", an attempt at correctly pronouncing "fu" would probably kill him. So I just transcribed what I think sounds the closest to the correct pronunciation.

Here's a native Japanese speaker saying furikake a bunch of times.

[media='']

[/media]

For the curious, here's a

that teachers you how to say "fu", and here's
with native Japanese speakers saying "ri".

PS. I know I sound crazy defensive, but I'm really not. Cam Bert is a good tamago, and I don't mind his corrections.

• Like 4

I have taken 3 years of college Japanese--where oral exams are part of the curriculum--taught by native Japanese speakers, and except for 2 'B's, have gotten all 'A's.

InternetFight.gif

• Like 8