🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
NathanGordon

Oscar pool 2017

Announced today:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/2017-oscar-nominations-academy-awards-nominees-1201968107/

Best picture:

“Arrival”

“Fences”

“Hacksaw Ridge”

“Hell or High Water”

“Hidden Figures”

“La La Land”

“Lion”

“Manchester by the Sea”

“Moonlight”

Lead actor:

Casey Affleck, “Manchester by the Sea”

Andrew Garfield, “Hacksaw Ridge”

Ryan Gosling, “La La Land,”

Viggo Mortensen, “Captain Fantastic”

Denzel Washington, “Fences”

Lead actress:

Isabelle Huppert, “Elle”

Ruth Negga, “Loving”

Natalie Portman, “Jackie”

Emma Stone, “La La Land”

Meryl Streep, “Florence Foster Jenkins”

Supporting actor:

Mahershala Ali, “Moonlight”

Jeff Bridges, “Hell or High Water”

Lucas Hedges, “Manchester by the Sea”

Dev Patel, “Lion”

Michael Shannon, “Nocturnal Animals”

Supporting actress:

Viola Davis, “Fences”

Naomie Harris, “Moonlight”

Nicole Kidman, “Lion”

Octavia Spencer, “Hidden Figures”

Michelle Williams, “Manchester by the Sea”

Best director:

“La La Land,” Damien Chazelle

“Hacksaw Ridge,” Mel Gibson

“Moonlight,” Barry Jenkins

“Manchester by the Sea,” Kenneth Lonergan

“Arrival,” Denis Villeneuve

• Like 1

Calling it now:

Best picture: Manchester By The Sea

Best director: Chazelle for La La Land

Actress: Ruth Negga for Loving

Actor: Casey Affleck for Manchester

Supporting: Moonlight takes both

This is only what I think will win, not necessarily my personal faves. I am pulling for Huppert in Best Actress, because her performance in Elle is lifetime achievement level.

Others: La La Land for cinematography, hard to argue with that, technically. Best doc: OJ, probably, given its unusual buzz. The Lobster for best original screenplay? Seems unlikely but it'd be a pleasant surprise. Kind of a bummer that something like Deadpool doesn't get considered -- comedy writing is still seen as Oscar unworthy.

Really interesting to see how it's gonna play out after #oscarssowhite last year. Moonlight is a dark horse for Best Picture in my assessment.

• Like 2

Me calling it right now:

BP: La La Land

BD: Chazelle

BActress: Stone

BActor: Affleck (unless his history with sexual harassment finally bites him in the ass then Gosling)

SActress: Queen Viola

SActor: Ali

• Like 1

My picks for who will win are the same as Taylor Anne's.

But since that's boring, here are my picks for who my favorites actually were:

Film: La La Land

Actor: Viggo Mortensen

Actress: Ruth Negga

Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali / Michael Shannon (tie)

Supporting Actress: Michelle Williams (REALLY tough choice in a ridiculously packed category)

Director: Denis Villeneuve (but really Jeff Nichols, who wasn't nominated)

• Like 1

Actor: Viggo Mortensen

Actress: Ruth Negga

Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali / Michael Shannon (tie)

Supporting Actress: Michelle Williams (REALLY tough choice in a ridiculously packed category)

Director: Denis Villeneuve (but really Jeff Nichols, who wasn't nominated)

I'll be honest and admit I skipped Mister Fantastic because the marketing made it look like Wes Anderson-lite. I have a real aversion to twee quirk because of that guy. Mortensen is hugely underappreciated though.

Michael Shannon was fantastic with that sheriff in Nocturnal Animals, but I think the supporting categories are going to PoC nominees -- it's political this year. If Michelle Williams wins, there's going to be boycotts.

• Like 1

This has to be my worst year for seeing Oscar movies. For various reasons I haven't seen any ... as in none ... of the above .. but if Ruth wins then Ireland will go nuts, we're delighted for her ... also, best of luck to Consolata Boyle & the Lobster. I must try to catch up

Best Picture: “Hidden Figures”

Best Actor: Ryan Gosling, “La La Land,”

Best Actress: Meryl Streep, “Florence Foster Jenkins”

Best Supporting Actor: Mahershala Ali, “Moonlight”

Best Supporting Actress: Viola Davis, “Fences”

Best Director: “La La Land,” Damien Chazelle

• Like 1

Michael Shannon was fantastic with that sheriff in Nocturnal Animals, but I think the supporting categories are going to PoC nominees -- it's political this year. If Michelle Williams wins, there's going to be boycotts.

Michael Shannon is the greatest actor in the world. I love him because he said no to the studios pushing him to make more comic book movies, and i think he's a better person for doing so, after watching "Doctor Strange" last night I don't want to to see another marvel movie anytime soon. marvel making movies for 15 year olds since when ever.

Hey but thanks for reminding me about that 'Nocturnal Animals' that maybe the one movie i may enjoy this year, almost forgot about that one. :)

I swear I am going to lose it if that stuped ass "Deadpool" wins anything. that was my worst movie of the year, second so far is "la la land" second worst movie of the year. if your going to do a Musical you better have to great tunes man. as the sammy man would say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKSA049xkiU

Captain Fantastic I watched Captain Fantastic the other night but it should of ended with Timothy Olyphant as a U.S. Marshal showing up with child services to take away the kids.

Fences is the most boring movie you'll ever watch. didn't make it to the end of that one.

looking forward to seeing Manchester By The Sea, may watch that one tonight or 'Nocturnal Animals' not sure.

really a bad year of unmarketable movies this year, but don't you guys know that's what the oscars is all about. ;) recommeneded viewing is

internets are going down now, shaw truck out side maybe the problem. he's fixing the "

" that connect me to the internets.

Got to get back to what I would like to call "plumbing"

a good plumber is a oxymoron! it's come down to me doing my own work people!. can't trust anyone to do anything right anymore even if you pay them money to do so.

124ilio.jpg

is that Ken Marino?

I'm not going to soapbox about oscars so white because I don't like to muddy the awards with politics. That said, I'm pulling for Hidden Figures in all it's nominations. I loved that movie. Certainly, it has a lot to do with my fascination with the Mercury 7 & early space race. That got me in the door and it tugged at the heart strings throughout. But it was really a great film. Especially in contrast to recent films centered on racism, this one was so wonderful because it focused on the very best of us rather than the very worst. It was literally uplifting and I actually bawled leading up to the lift off scenes, which is a pretty damn rare occurrence. It also managed to turn the dark bits of racism into kind of humorous moments as well rather than just make people feel angry or guilty.

I haven't scene LaLa but want to and haven't had the chance. Though I hate the idea of a musical winning the top awards and even moreso the thought of the hollywood elite awarding the movie that most worships hollywood itself... Like, fuck off. (Again, I am still excited to see it)

Will definitely watch Manchester but don't really see what the appeal of the story is... The trailer just seems like humdrum modern family drama to me but I really like casey affleck.

Definitely not seeing moonlight. Couldn't care or relate any less to it and i've heard it's one of those films that's a "good movie but not a good time." And also that Ali is in it for a very short time. If you're on film for less screen time than a tv sitcom, I don't care how good you were, that's not award worthy.

Hell or High Water was great and really liked Hacksaw. Though hack wasn't great-great and really it's kind of been done to death despite the central figure being original. Neither screams award winner.

Guess I need to see Nocturnal Animals and Capt.Fantastic. Very much underestimated those two.

Arrival is overrated I think. Surprised it got so many noms though it certainly deserves effects or technical nominations I guess. As a narrative it really fell flat after the twists.

So yeah, I'm just hoping for Hidden Figures wins. Terrible Oscar season

• Like 4

Michael Shannon was great in Nocturnal Animals, still will blind watch any of his movies he does. but the film was not my cup of tea, I did not need to see that, and was Jake Gyllenhaal book he was writing a real life story of something that happened to his character in the past or was that a fiction story he made up? for me Michael Shannon's best movie or show is still boardwalk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDAMzu5z9cU

the clip i was looking for,

Capt.Fantastic so far is the best movie to watch, will it win anything, not likely. Hell or High Water was great, Maybe watching Hacksaw on Friday. Looking forward to that one.

Our overlook weather girl is saying it's going to get cold outside.so dress warm...

33as5xh.jpg

I wounder if she knows where that dress is from?

^^^ that dress is awesome! I'm sure she knows exactly what that pattern is, that's not just off rack from the Dress Barn.

• Like 1

^^^ that dress is awesome! I'm sure she knows exactly what that pattern is, that's not just off rack from the Dress Barn.

Please tell me if there really is a dress barn! LOL

I got this cable package where I get CBS and NBC in different timezone. so I can PVR everything. long story short, she would show up at the end of a program telling us the viewer what the weather was, it was one of those moments I quickly had to pause because no one of my friends would believe me other wise.I think she gets it but I am not sure if her boss would get it or anyone else at CBS.

2gwf9yc.jpg

• Like 1

All the selected movies were great, but my favorite movie of the year was easily Hunt for the Wilderpeople. I'll take solace in the fact that it didnt get nominated by remembering that Marvel was smart enough to let him direct the next Thor movie.

• Like 4

All the selected movies were great, but my favorite movie of the year was easily Hunt for the Wilderpeople. I'll take solace in the fact that it didnt get nominated by remembering that Marvel was smart enough to let him direct the next Thor movie.

That's such a delightful movie. It was definitely one of my top picks of 2016.

Also, I just got home from Hidden Figures. If Janelle Monae had been nominated instead of Octavia Spencer for Best Supporting, it would 100% be a no-brainer on who that trophy is going to. She's amazing, and I want her to be in every movie ever. Spencer is still really good, too (the bathroom scene with her and Kirsten Dunst is simply amazing), but Monae really owns the movie for me.

• Like 4

The worst part about being a movie fan and living in Japan is that rarely do I get I chance to see any of the best picture movies before the show. Luckily starting this week I should be able to get some in before the actual ceremony, but it does seem to me that La La Land is a bit of a lock.

The worst part about being a movie fan and living in Japan is that rarely do I get I chance to see any of the best picture movies before the show. Luckily starting this week I should be able to get some in before the actual ceremony, but it does seem to me that La La Land is a bit of a lock.

that's the same here for most people, it's a well known fact that most people will not get to see any or if all of the Oscar titles tell ondemand home video and the members of the academy mostly don't even watch the free screeners that are sent to them. they pick who ever the studio wants them to pick or who ever they would like to work with in the future. it has nothing to do with the artistic creation of the films or if the film that are any real good. that's why i was recommending that Harvey Weinstein doc, he talks about films being like gem stone diamonds that you see at the front window of the jewelry shop are not always the best stones in the store or cuts. They are cheap stones that are dressed up with more expensive settings. he learned that if you buy lowbudge films re-edited them and market them with a new poster art he could sell those films that no one would want to buy or sell, and also learned that if you market them right you can also get people to vote for them as Oscars, and if they can get that little sticker on the poster art work that says oscar winnner. that's what it's all about, it sucks that we don't get to see most of the films that get released in such a short window time frame before the show it's self.

Most of us end up seeing them on video, or other means..

La La Land will most likely clean up.

it sucks that we don't get to see most of the films that get released in such a short window time frame before the show it's self.

My biggest problem is that many studios have started doing limited LA releases at the end of the year just to be eligible for a nomination. Then it's often nearly a month (or more) before they will get a wide release. That's been my story with Toni Erdmann, which is up for Best Foreign Language Film this year. Everyone I know that's seen it has said they loved it, but it's not showing in Austin until about a week before the Oscars. Now, I'm planning to see it the first night it's available, but it's really a bummer that if it's that solid a film, it's coming down to the wire for release.

Most of the big movies, though, will have been out for a month or two by the time the Oscars happen, so I feel like if you want to see them, you've had a chance. If you wait for movies to come out on home video, you're always going to be behind the curve, so I don't really find the Oscars to be all that different in that regard.

• Like 1

I'm not gonna name names here but you could technically watch most of the oscar noms anywhere if you *Cough*pirate*Cough*. It's really not the same as being in the theatee but screeners are generally very decent quality. I see way too many movies in theaters already so I don't feel so guilty about it.

I enjoyed La La Land but I feel like it's going to be the film in five years everyone will be shocked it swept the Oscars, like that movie really.

I don't care who wins the best actress category as long as its not Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins is a sweet film to watch with your mum but a pretty average film, and it was basically her doing the exact same voice and acting as she did in Julie and Julia.

• Like 1

I enjoyed La La Land but I feel like it's going to be the film in five years everyone will be shocked in swept the Oscars, like that movie really.

I don't care who wins the best actress category as long as its not Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins is a sweet film to watch with your mum but a pretty average film, and it was basically her doing the exact same voice and acting as she did in Julie and Julia.

Disagree about La La Land, but then again, I'm completely enamored with it and have been listening to the soundtrack off and on since its opening weekend.

But I definitely agree about Streep. She pretty much just has to show up anymore to get a nomination, and that's really unfortunate because I think her slot should have either gone to Amy Adams for Arrival or Annette Bening for 20th Century Women. I haven't seen the latter yet (I'm going to try to see it this weekend), but I've heard nothing but unanimous praise for her performance.

• Like 1

...Annette Bening for 20th Century Women. I haven't seen the latter yet (I'm going to try to see it this weekend), but I've heard nothing but unanimous praise for her performance.

I'm still salty about her not winning for American Beauty

• Like 2

Literal rioting in the streets if Streep won. But I feel like she would be smart enough to give it away or refuse it or something.

Literal rioting in the streets if Streep won. But I feel like she would be smart enough to give it away or refuse it or something.

She'd totally accept it, the studio puts people forward to be selected she could always ask not to be put forward because she has enough awards, which would probably get more publicity than her getting a nomination at this stage.

Sign in to follow this