🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
NathanGordon

Oscar pool 2017

I'm still salty about her not winning for American Beauty

Or Being Julia. Or The Kids Are All Right.

I really love her, and it's a shame she seems to be largely underappreciated by the Academy.

• Like 1

Or The Kids Are All Right.

What's funny is that I'm still salty that Mark Ruffalo got a nomination for that movie lol. Mostly because I thought Andrew Garfield in Social Network was far superior and he didn't get the nom. UGH!

But also I was on the Natalie Portman train that year. Literally all aboard that train lol.

• Like 1

i take it back what I said about La la Land. and on that note I watched Hacksaw Ridge last night LOL. I had no idea that was Mel Gibson movie tell the end credits. I never laughed so hard, to the point of pain.

24mhk41.jpg

If you watch one movie, watch La la land, but if you watch two movies, watch Hacksaw Ridge and thank me later.

I saw Lion last night and it was absolutely fantastic I doubt it'll win against the flashier nominees but it's definitely worth watching I'm not a movie crier and I cried like 6 times.

• Like 1

missing end credits music for Hacksaw Ridge LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp43OdtAAkM

I am going up that hill and I am saving one more!!!

I really enjoyed "Moonlight" last night I got to see it and it was nothing like what I had expected it to be. my only problem with it is why do the drug dealer not teach the kid how to fight? i mean the one thing he could teach this kid how to do real well is to stand up for him self and he just did nothing but sell his mother drugs. and offer him some fried chicken. Ohh boy.

• Like 2

BActor: Affleck (unless his history with sexual harassment finally bites him in the ass then Gosling)

Well, Denzel got the SAG Award last night, so that moves him a lot closer in the running. As much as I like La La Land and Gosling, I'd love to see DW get his 3rd Oscar.

Well, Denzel got the SAG Award last night, so that moves him a lot closer in the running. As much as I like La La Land and Gosling, I'd love to see DW get his 3rd Oscar.

I only chose Gosling because of the love surrounding La La Land. I figured his win at the GGs was more of a Matt Damon last year kind of a situation? I'm leaning more towards Denzel now than before because I really do think the talk around the accusations really could do some damage.

• Like 1

I only chose Gosling because of the love surrounding La La Land. I figured his win at the GGs were more of a Matt Damon last year kind of a situation? I'm leaning more towards Denzel now than before because I really do think the talk around the accusations really could do some damage.

Oh, I definitely agree with that. I think everyone had Gosling as the assumed "I don't feel okay voting for Affleck" pick. But I'm totally happy to see it move in the direction of Washington.

• Like 1

Okay we never discussed the other categories here and I'm stuck on a few for my Oscars pool at work.

Best Foreign Language Film: I currently have it between The Salesman and Toni Erdmann. I felt like the latter had more buzz around it up until the ban happened and the director of the former was not even allowed to come attend the ceremony because he's from Iran. I'm leaning towards the fact that people will want to vote for him based on that.

Best Documentary: Literally it's a tie between OJ and 13th for me. I saw 13th and absolutely LOVED it but I also know the buzz around OJ is insane. But will older Academy members sit through an 8 hour documentary?

Best Costume Design: Also tied between La La Land and Jackie. I'm leaning towards the former.

Okay we never discussed the other categories here and I'm stuck on a few for my Oscars pool at work.

Best Foreign Language Film: I currently have it between The Salesman and Toni Erdmann. I felt like the latter had more buzz around it up until the ban happened and the director of the former was not even allowed to come attend the ceremony because he's from Iran. I'm leaning towards the fact that people will want to vote for him based on that.

Best Documentary: Literally it's a tie between OJ and 13th for me. I saw 13th and absolutely LOVED it but I also know the buzz around OJ is insane. But will older Academy members sit through an 8 hour documentary?

Best Costume Design: Also tied between La La Land and Jackie. I'm leaning towards the former.

Foreign Language Film: I haven't seen The Salesman, but I saw Toni Erdmann and really loved it. So that would be my personal preference. But I think you're right that the buzz and politics around The Salesman will likely carry it to win. (Honestly, the only thing I cared about was that Elle lost because fuck. that. movie. It wasn't nominated, so I'm kind of okay with whatever)

Feature-Length Documentary: I think OJ is going to take this one. I haven't seen it, but it has all the momentum right now. I wish it were going to 13th, but I just don't see that happening. Also, I seriously doubt Academy voters see most of these movies, so I don't think the 8 hr runtime will dissuade that many votes. (Side note: I'm rooting for Life, Animated as a dark horse because I absolutely loved that movie)

Costume Design: I'm thinking La La Land will probably take this one, too. There was nothing this year that was a major standout in terms of costume/production design like Mad Max was last year. And when there's not a standout, the Oscar usually goes to the overall favorite (almost every movie podcast I listen to has predicted it's going to be a night of "When it doubt, La La Land.")

Foreign Language Film: I haven't seen The Salesman, but I saw Toni Erdmann and really loved it. So that would be my personal preference. But I think you're right that the buzz and politics around The Salesman will likely carry it to win. (Honestly, the only thing I cared about was that Elle lost because fuck. that. movie. It wasn't nominated, so I'm kind of okay with whatever)

Feature-Length Documentary: I think OJ is going to take this one. I haven't seen it, but it has all the momentum right now. I wish it were going to 13th, but I just don't see that happening. Also, I seriously doubt Academy voters see most of these movies, so I don't think the 8 hr runtime will dissuade that many votes. (Side note: I'm rooting for Life, Animated as a dark horse because I absolutely loved that movie)

Costume Design: I'm thinking La La Land will probably take this one, too. There was nothing this year that was a major standout in terms of costume/production design like Mad Max was last year. And when there's not a standout, the Oscar usually goes to the overall favorite (almost every movie podcast I listen to has predicted it's going to be a night of "When it doubt, La La Land.")

Foreign: Agreed. Think that's going to be my pick. But I'm picking Toni for the Indie Spirit Awards cause The Salesman isn't nominated.

Doc: Yeah I went with OJ. The experts seem to be leaning towards that as well but I would absolutely love for 13th to come in and grab it instead. Ava DuVernay is an excellent film maker and deserves all the awards.

Costume: I'm still torn on this. Jackie O's clothes were always so iconic and it's so incredibly important for that movie to have gotten that right which is what pushes me towards that movie. The experts are also pretty split (12/15 in La La's favor) but I think I may go with La La Land.

I hate picking things when I'm unsure about them. The first year I started working here I won 1st place and then I got 4th the last two years so everyone keeps giving me shit about it lol. That's a lot of pressure.

(Also if you have a single clue if Isabelle or Natalie will win best actress at the Indie Spirit Awards then I will take that info lol)

Foreign: Agreed. Think that's going to be my pick. But I'm picking Toni for the Indie Spirit Awards cause The Salesman isn't nominated.

Doc: Yeah I went with OJ. The experts seem to be leaning towards that as well but I would absolutely love for 13th to come in and grab it instead. Ava DuVernay is an excellent film maker and deserves all the awards.

Costume: I'm still torn on this. Jackie O's clothes were always so iconic and it's so incredibly important for that movie to have gotten that right which is what pushes me towards that movie. The experts are also pretty split (12/15 in La La's favor) but I think I may go with La La Land.

I hate picking things when I'm unsure about them. The first year I started working here I won 1st place and then I got 4th the last two years so everyone keeps giving me shit about it lol. That's a lot of pressure.

(Also if you have a single clue if Isabelle or Natalie will win best actress at the Indie Spirit Awards then I will take that info lol)

I'm going to have to DVR the Indie Spirit Awards because I'm spending all day tomorrow catching up on the last few Oscar movies I haven't seen. I missed them completely last year because I thought they were later in the day, and it turned out that my friend's brother ended up as one of the Cassavetes Award recipients. So that was awkward when my friend texted me and was like, "Did you see him?!" and I was like, "Where?"

But also, I'm REALLY excited about Mulaney and Kroll hosting. They're so fantastic.

Oh, but I think Isabelle will win that one. Everyone is fawning over her and that thoroughly problematic rape fantasy movie this year.

• Like 1

think i'll skip the oscars this year. i'm kinda award showed out... staying up till 4 am to see one set of millionaires giving another set of millionaires golden statues for movies i really don't care about ... and then those highly rehearsed speeches and fake celebrations ... think i'll just watch the madness of the oncinema oscar special on monday

Hmm, I finally saw American Honey this week -- it was great, and I'm surprised it didn't pick up any nominations. Best film about America by an English filmmaker from 2016! Recommend to anyone who likes life and living.

I said it before, but there's gonna be figurative riots if La La Land sweeps. It could be an interesting night.

• Like 1

:( Bill Paxton has passed away. Literally everyone at the Oscars tonight mean absolutely nothing to me relative to that man's amazing body of work.

Awards aren't over, but it looks like La La Land is sweeping the music/production categories but (wisely) not the acting trophies.

• Like 1

Awards aren't over, but it looks like La La Land is sweeping the music/production categories but (wisely) not the acting trophies.

They haven't gotten to the acting awards LLL was nominated yet for, though...

They haven't gotten to the acting awards LLL was nominated yet for, though...

Spoke too soon! Emma Stone, quite an upset imho.

And I have no idea what just happened during the award for best picture, but apparently Moonlight won amidst confusion bordering on complete disarray.

• Like 1

In case anyone is curious, there was an article last week that talked about how PWC handles the envelopes, which explains how Emma could have been holding the Best Actress one while Warren and Faye read it (hint: it involves a shitty system with two envelopes):

https://medium.com/art-science/what-it-feels-like-to-count-oscar-votes-f89a38efdf1c#.7yk8l153e

TL;DR - There are two briefcases, and each of them have a full set of all 24 envelopes. The PWC people are on either side of the stage with the envelopes. Leo came out of one side, so they gave him the Best Actress envelope. Faye and Warren came out of the other side, which STILL had a Best Actress envelope, and the PWC rep gave them that one instead of the Best Picture one.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this