🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

I remember seeing a Horror Clip Show promoting this movie. It was the first I heard about it. It also had the first title Hellraiser: Oblivion.

This could be a live show double feature with "Jason X" - horror sequels that decided "f*ck it, let's go into space!"

• Like 2

"We have such sights to show you!"

In total there are nine (NINE!!!) films in the Hellraiser canon. I had no idea, previously only familiar with the first three or four. The original is good. The second isn't bad. After that, they went off the rails. Way off the rails, as in five straight-to-dvd releases. Wikipedia for the last installment even states "The film was produced in a matter of weeks". There's a tenth coming along with a possible reboot. To quote Jason, "oh brother."

In this case, I don't think they should stop at just reviewing one film in the series for an upcoming episode. Even though their "suffering will be legendary, even in hell!", it would be awesome if they reviewed a couple or few of these and did a mega show. Agreed that it would be great if Adam Scott would come back as the guest host. That would make an epic live show. If Adam isn't available, count me in.

For me this is the last watchable Hellraiser movie. then it just lost it's, Hmm let me think of a word for it.

That word would be for me "credibility"

cred·i·bil·i·ty

cred·i·bil·i·ty (kred´?-bil?i-te) noun

1. The quality, capability, or power to elicit belief: “America's credibility must not be squandered, especially by its leaders” (Henry A. Kissinger).

2. A capacity for belief: a story that strained our credibility.

They try to explain history of how the box gets made. Which they do, but they go all over the place. It doesn't really tie into the other Hellraisers.

Any of them past the first one are pretty whackadoo. The eighth one (I think) that takes place at a rave/sex party is hilariously terrible, and clearly started from a non-Hellraiser script. It's too bad Clive Barker didn't care enough to oversee any of these, because it's a premise and mythology that is fascinating and has tons of potential for a truly horrific and interesting film. The closest thing would maybe be something like Martyrs, as far as exploring a similar mix of religious ecstasy and suffering.

• Like 1

Most of the straight to dvd Hellraisers were other scripts first. Hellraiser:Revelations was made to hold onto the movie rights. The guy who played pinhead wouldn't even do Revelations, because he thought the script was bad. Which is saying a lot since he said yes to some bad ones.

Any of them past the first one are pretty whackadoo. The eighth one (I think) that takes place at a rave/sex party is hilariously terrible, and clearly started from a non-Hellraiser script. It's too bad Clive Barker didn't care enough to oversee any of these, because it's a premise and mythology that is fascinating and has tons of potential for a truly horrific and interesting film. The closest thing would maybe be something like Martyrs, as far as exploring a similar mix of religious ecstasy and suffering.

As Chairman Kaga would say "if memory serves me!" Hellraiser 2 was the better of the two only good Hellraiser films. that being one and two. for some reason I really liked the second one. I really like Clive Barker even if he's is a bit of a creep. he almost died from not getting his teeth cleaned once, I kid you not. he had such a bad infection that it caused him to have a blood clot and he ended up being taken to the hospital from going to the dentist.

The arc of the whole Hellraiser franchise is kind of beyond the scope of what HDTGM covers, but I have found it fascinating ever since I binge-watched the entire saga over the course of a few days where I was couch-bound with a cold. Once they started going direct to DVD and sticking Pinhead into unrelated scripts to ride on the value of the name, you really got to see every bad idea in a generation of movie horror inflicted on one universe. Shyamalan-esque lame twist endings? See Inferno and Hellseeker. Lame self-referential Scream ripoff meta-horror combined with "grownups pretend they understand video games"? See Hellworld. Microbudget single-location with a long stretch of "found footage"? See Revelations. In the third Hellraiser movie you can really tell the filmmakers didn't quite understand what makes Pinhead unique and tried to just make him a quippy goth Freddy Krueger.

Worst thing that happened in the whole experience is that one night after watching two back-to-back, I had chili fries for dinner. They looked pretty much exactly like something that had been ripped apart by Cenobites and I wanted to barf.

• Like 2

I feel like it's so bizarre to me that Adam Scott was even in this movie in the first place but I would love to hear him talk about what is was like being in this movie and to hear if he has any stories about meeting Doug Bradley.

IMDb Description:

In the 22nd century, a scientist attempts to right the wrong his ancestor created: the puzzle box that opens the gates of Hell and unleashes Pinhead and his Cenobite legions.