🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays-Week 4-Beauty and the Beast

This article here seems to suggest his name is Adam.

http://www.cosmopoli...you-didnt-know/

But, is your reference to the thing I read somewhere that his look was based on Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach?

That's not true either.

A friend of mine worked at Disneyland for a long time and got to meet Glen Keane and asked him this very question. His response was, "We never gave him a name."

So that's that in my opinion lol. If Glen motherfuckin' Keane says it's just Beast then I will only call him Beast lol.

• Like 7

That's not true either.

A friend of mine worked at Disneyland for a long time and got to meet Glen Keane and asked him this very question. His response was, "We never gave him a name."

So that's that in my opinion lol. If Glen motherfuckin' Keane says it's just Beast then I will only call him Beast lol.

Good enough for me! It's like in Sarah Ruhl's book 100 Essays I Don't Have Time To Write she talks about getting into arguments with producers who wanted to know the surnames of the characters she'd made in her plays, and how she wouldn't let them assign arbitrary surnames for the sake of promotion. As far as she was concerned, they only had first names because that's how she'd written them.

• Like 2

But, is your reference to the thing I read somewhere that his look was based on Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach?

Also, I loved Tom's use of the term 'champ' just up there. Well played.

No, I wanted to come up with a silly, Eddie Izzard-like name. Something as un-beast like as possible. I was originally going to say "Kenneth" but with all the Branagh talk yesterday, I didn't want to sound un-creative.

And now you all know how the sausage gets made!

Also, yes. "Champ" was amazing. Delightfully condescending! Bravo!

• Like 5

No, I wanted to come up with a silly, Eddie Izzard-like name. Something as un-beast like as possible. I was originally going to say "Kenneth" but with all the Branagh talk yesterday, I didn't want to sound un-creative.

And now you all know how the sausage gets made!

Also, yes. "Champ" was amazing. Delightfully condescending! Bravo!

Which is a spooky coincidence, because the Sebastian Bach thing is an actual thing on the internet...

89a7b8371a5808eb4ddd3dcfcefe62e3.jpg

• Like 4

First of all, my wife had a great time watching this over lunch. So, thanks Taylor Anne!

Okay, I think I'm about to crack this thing wide open. When Belle pulls Beast away from his dinner (seriously lady, let me finish eating), Lumiere waves his hands in front of a faceless candelabra and makes the flames dim to a romantic glow. It was then, with the help of my wife, we stumbled upon a couple of truths...

First, the people were cursed but the objects are enchanted. Basically, if an object has a face or voice it was once a living person. If it's just a faceless dish serving grey goop, it's an enchanted object.

Second, if you're a cursed person, you hold dominion over similar enchanted objects (e.g. Lumiere can control other candlesticks. Mrs Potts can control dishes.) Following this line of thought, we then stumbled upon the idea that Cogsworth must therefore control TIME ITSELF! This would explain certain age discrepancies and how an entire village could forget about their former rulers in less than a decade. Cogsworth has been slowing time to allow the Beast more time to find true love. However, he can't stop time all together so the rose is still wilting. If you consider the flower's deterioration, you see that at the beginning until about two-thirds of the movie, the rose is doing just fine. It isn't until The Beast lets Belle go, thus condemning not just himself, but all of his servants to the enchantress' curse, that the rose begins to shed petals at a quicker rate. That is, Cogsworth--despondent over his liege's decision--allows time to move forward again, thus resuming their inexorably march down the path toward their inevitable damnation.

• Like 7

Second, if you're a cursed person, you hold dominion over similar enchanted objects (e.g. Lumiere can control other candlesticks. Mrs Potts can control dishes.) Following this line of thought, we then stumbled upon the idea that Cogsworth must therefore control TIME ITSELF! This would explain certain age discrepancies and how an entire village could forget about their former rulers in less than a decade. Cogsworth has been slowing time to allow the Beast more time to find true love. However, he can't stop time all together so the rose is still wilting. If you consider the flower's deterioration, you see that at the beginning until about two-thirds of the movie, the rose is doing just fine. It isn't until The Beast lets Belle go, thus condemning not just himself, but all of his servants to the enchantress' curse, that the rose begins to shed petals at a quicker rate. That is, Cogsworth--despondent over his liege's decision--allows time to move forward again, thus resuming their inexorably march down the path toward their inevitable damnation.

giphy.gif

• Like 7

While this entire thing is absolutely BRILLIANT and could explain a lot I still don't think Cogsworth can control the wilting of the flower. My understanding of the enchanted rose is that since she says that he has until his 21st year to find true love the rose does not start wilting until he turns 20. Therefore, showing over the next 12 months that his time is coming to an end.

• Like 4

Oh! And I am really concerned about Gaston's cholesterol level. Five dozen eggs is waaaay too many.

Also, Belle, go easy on the sugar in your oatmeal. It's too much, girl.

This was Cameron's Guide to Healthy Eating.

• Like 5

Who gave Beast the magic mirror? What do you think he really used it for?

5482e8f1095ba_-_-winking-animated-gif-arrested-development-31133148-245-245.gif

• Like 7

Who gave Beast the magic mirror? What do you think he really used it for?

5482e8f1095ba_-_-winking-animated-gif-arrested-development-31133148-245-245.gif

Gah!!! You beat me to it! Why would the person who cursed him give him that?

• Like 3

Gah!!! You beat me to it! Why would the person who cursed him give him that?

In case he's caught by Death Eaters and needs help.

• Like 7

In case he's caught by Death Eaters and needs help.

Deep cut.

Speaking of the mirror...

When Belle consults it she sees her father struggling in the woods--presumably lost. However, when the mob goes after the Beast they seem to have no trouble finding the castle. In fact, it looks like the path they take there is either paved or extremely well-worn. Including cutting down trees for battering rams, it seems to take them, I don't know, thirty minutes to get there--tops.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, maybe Belle's father should be put away for his own good. I know it's a harsh reality, but he really doesn't seem capable of looking after himself anymore.

• Like 4

Oh! And I am really concerned about Gaston's cholesterol level. Five dozen eggs is waaaay too many.

Also, Belle, go easy on the sugar in your oatmeal. It's too much, girl.

This was Cameron's Guide to Healthy Eating.

Also, Beast - don't skip leg day.

• Like 6

Also, Beast - don't skip leg day.

Okay, that made me chuckle like an idiot to myself. :)

• Like 4

I just wanted to say, I know it might sound like I've been shitting on this movie, but I really do like it. I like it in the same way that I like the OT Star Wars movies. It's like I love them so much, and know them so well, that I can't help but tease them a little bit. This really is a fantastic movie. I also have a lot of happy memories tied up in it. My first "girlfriend" and I watched this together at her parents' house for our first "date." For those interested, we dated for 6 months and I kissed her once--and only under duress from some older kids. But they didn't get it, guys. I was playing the long game. Anywho...

Great movie! And while I don't mean to be disrespectful, I expect I'll be making fun of it a lot more.

• Like 2

I swear I was about to post that I like this movie a lot.

oZ8aJ.gif

• Like 4

Seeing as we're all sharing first time stories I'll add mine to the list. My parents liked movies but didn't like going to the theater to see them. I think we only ever saw about 5 movies as a family together. However, my grandma for whatever reason would take my sister and I to the movies all the time. It wasn't a babysitting thing either, sometimes my sister and I didn't have a say in the matter. If a Disney film was coming out she'd take us even if we didn't ask. We always went to McDonalds first, and then to the same theater and never were allowed theater treats. Being a very young boy this is not the kind of movie that I would want to see but was taken to anyway and ended up enjoying a lot. Having not seen this film since then, it's amazing to me how much of it I still remember so clearly, and if that doesn't speak to the quality of the film I don't know what will.

• Like 5

Now as an adult I find the whole town and Gaston very creepy. He sets his sights on Belle and is like "I must have her." So he begins to woo her which fails miserably at every step. She's clearly not into him in anyway, yet he refuses to give up. He only wants Belle because she's the most beautiful too. He's not in love with her, he just deems her to be the prettiest and as he has a super inflated sense of self worth he believe he's owed her. That's just not healthy or right.

So one of his plans is to hired people to perform a wedding. Like he gets a cake, a band, rents some chairs and a carpet. The whole nine yards. Despite being rejected in the past he somehow thinks just him walking in and asking she'll change her mind and agree to marry her on the spot? On top of that why is everybody going along with this? Maybe they're just super greedy and just want the money. I would think that the case but as pointed out clearly the bookstore owner doesn't care about making sells. Gaston also doesn't seem to work unless he sells his kills, so where is this money coming from? Is Gaston so important to the well being of the town that not one person he hired or that is helping stopped to say "Wait, you're having a wedding and haven't even asked her yet?" Rather these people think Belle so weird that they're like "Yea, she'll say yes because he's handsome and she should be so lucky." Why would they think that? What's wrong with these people?

• Like 5

Also, where does all this food come from in Beast's castle? They have enough food to throw a big dinner for them and then make another one for Belle later and they feed both of them for the remainder of her stay. Yet no one every comes to the castle. No one is delivering them groceries, and it's not like any of the servants can just stroll into down and buy food. I think people would notice a walking talking stove and have more than a few questions. It's been 10 years and with limited refrigeration at the time, the pantry would have been rotted away. I think all of this adds up to support Cameron's theory of Cogsworth controlling time. That or somehow the non-aging curse affected the food in the pantry as well, and Beast is just a not a big eater.

• Like 3

Also, where does all this food come from in Beast's castle? They have enough food to throw a big dinner for them and then make another one for Belle later and they feed both of them for the remainder of her stay. Yet no one every comes to the castle. No one is delivering them groceries, and it's not like any of the servants can just stroll into down and buy food. I think people would notice a walking talking stove and have more than a few questions. It's been 10 years and with limited refrigeration at the time, the pantry would have been rotted away. I think all of this adds up to support Cameron's theory of Cogsworth controlling time. That or somehow the non-aging curse affected the food in the pantry as well, and Beast is just a not a big eater.

Maybe Beast hunts?

Oh god, I hope the food isn't enchanted servants.

• Like 5

Quick Letterboxd aside:

Tom, what's up with all the shark movies? I'm getting worried. Should I be getting in touch with Asylum de Loon?

tumblr_mz48v7ZxVx1s2wio8o2_r1_500.gif

• Like 5

Quick Letterboxd aside:

Tom, what's up with all the shark movies? I'm getting worried. Should I be getting in touch with Asylum de Loon?

tumblr_mz48v7ZxVx1s2wio8o2_r1_500.gif

Ohhhhhhh that's tomspanks. I've been trying to figure out who that shark-obsessed rando is.

• Like 5