🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays-Week 4-Beauty and the Beast

Lol, it was the recent Jaws talk. I had never seen any of the sequels or the related movies. Turns out the original Jaws is all the Jaws anyone needs.

• Like 6

Lol, it was the recent Jaws talk. I had never seen any of the sequels or the related movies. Turns out the original Jaws is all the Jaws anyone needs.

I've always wanted to watch Jaws 4 because of how batshit terrible it's suppose to be, but then I remember that it's batshit terrible.

• Like 2

Reminds me of PFT's comment in the Deep Blue Sea ep where he says something like, "So what's the count on good shark movies? Still just the one?"

• Like 7

Oh! That's a relief. And, yeah, just the one Jaws. Although...Janet Varney and Cole Stratton do a pretty good Riff on Jaws 3.

Sorry for the deviation. We can go back to BatB now :)

• Like 4

One of the brags in the song "Gaston" is how no one "goes stomping around wearing boots like Gaston. I know the song is almost over by that point and you've probably used up all the good boasts by then, but is that REALLY the best one you dildoes could come up with?

• Like 6

One of the brags in the song "Gaston" is how no one "goes stomping around wearing boots like Gaston. I know the song is almost over by that point and you've probably used up all the good boasts by then, but is that REALLY the best one you dildoes could come up with?

He was done about halfway through. He claims that "every last inch of me is covered in hair." Who's that impressing? Also we know that's a lie because we can see your bare arms and clean shaven face. If he shaves them why boast about being hairy if you're so ashamed of arm hair?

• Like 4

When Lumiere, Cogsworth, and Mrs. Potts are singing "there's something there that wasn't there before" and Chip keeps asking, "What?" why can't they just say "love?" His future is just as wrapped up in The Beast's love life as anyone's. Instead, Mrs. Potts just says that she'll tell him "when he's older." Just how exactly are they expecting this curse to be lifted anyway?

Also, Mrs. Potts. Do you think there was a Mr. Potts? Do you think somebody dropped him?

Do you think his first name was "Chamber?"

• Like 6

I've always wanted to watch Jaws 4 because of how batshit terrible it's suppose to be, but then I remember that it's batshit terrible.

If you decide to watch Jaws 4, you should really watch Jaws 3 first to get the full effect.

Oh! That's a relief. And, yeah, just the one Jaws. Although...Janet Varney and Cole Stratton do a pretty good Riff on Jaws 3.

TIL RiffTrax.

• Like 3

So, I ended up buying this because a streaming copy was $15 for the theatrical version + special features, and I know I'll rewatch it plenty now that I own it. So, first off, my copy didn't have the new song in it, and if someone (maybe tomspanks?) hadn't mentioned it on Letterboxd, I would have had no idea that was a thing. I looked it up on YouTube, and it's kind of heartbreaking because I had watched all the special features already. They talk A LOT about Howard Ashman in those (especially during the featurette about Paige O'Hara) and how he was sick during the production and died before the movie. Ashman and Menken basically took this dead-end script, turned it into a musical, and transformed it into the movie we know today.

Anyway, this whole song is about what the servants will do once they are "human again," and they're all really simple pleasures. And viewed through the lens of someone who was wasting away from AIDS, it's just really, really sad.

ON A HAPPIER NOTE, if you have the special features, watch the shit out of them! There's a great one featuring Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez (the duo that wrote Frozen), Lin-Manuel Miranda, and some other dude I can't remember right now basically sitting around Alan Menken at the piano totally nerding out over the songwriting in the movie. It's totally delightful.

• Like 5

He was done about halfway through. He claims that "every last inch of me is covered in hair." Who's that impressing? Also we know that's a lie because we can see your bare arms and clean shaven face. If he shaves them why boast about being hairy if you're so ashamed of arm hair?

Even as a wee small child I knew how literally unattractive that was.

ETA: WAIT! Beast is literally covered in hair. Is this a "ha ha you wish" moment!? Like Belle goes "motherfucka you WISH" and shows the mirror of the Beast lol.

• Like 3

Even as a wee small child I knew how literally unattractive that was.

ETA: WAIT! Beast is literally covered in hair. Is this a "ha ha you wish" moment!? Like Belle goes "motherfucka you WISH" and shows the mirror of the Beast lol.

I think we've discovered the root of Gaston's jealousy: he wishes he was literally covered in hair the way Beast is! Maybe Gaston would just be a Furry if he lived in the 21st Century, but here, in 17-something France, he has not outlet for his animalistic predilections. So when this bastion of masculinity witness the thing he most truly wants to be, a real Beast, via the magic mirror, his ego drives him to kill that he most wishes he could be. Beauty and the Beast: Freudian psycho-sexual drama at its finest!

• Like 7

Despite what Wikipedia says about it being cut for time, I really feel like the reason the song "Human Again" was cut originally was because it was too depressing to see all these zany characters expressing anything but joyful enthusiasm with their shitty lot in life.

Mrs.Potts-With-Cogsworth-And-Lumiere-Animated-Picture.gif

• Like 3

This morning as we were getting ready to go out, I asked what my son wanted to watch. He said he wanted to watch Mickey's Magical Christmas: Snowed in at the House of Mouse--because it's almost February and of course he does. Anyway, I noticed that in the movie (which is peopled by many disparate Disney characters) that The Beast and Lumiere have reverted back to their cursed forms. Isn't this kind of a bummer message to be sending to kids? Like, after everything that happened in this movie, apparently The Beast had a relapse to his horrible, eleven-year-old ways and has evidently re-cursed everyone all over again.

Apparently, True Love isn't a good enough deterrent to prevent recidivism.

• Like 5

I know this was brought up in Taylor Anne's Buzzfeed article, but not only is the Bookseller running his story in a town full of illiterates, but he is also just giving away merchandise to his only customer!

This guy is minutes away from getting tossed into Debtor's Prison...

BTW--I haven't had a chance to rewatch this yet, but plan to do so soon. I do love it though!

Not to mention that Belle will never be in his shop again in her lifetime because she'll never finish all the books in the library she was given!

(Sorry, just discovered the thread and am late to the party.)

• Like 4

Apparently, True Love isn't a good enough deterrent to prevent recidivism.

But that's not what he said! He distinctly said "to blave." And, as we all know, "to blave" means "to bluff," huh? So you're probably playing cards, and he cheated—

• Like 3

(Sorry, just discovered the thread and am late to the party.)

Hey, Cinco! Do you want me to add you to the rotation?

• Like 1

Hey, Cinco! Do you want me to add you to the rotation?

Not for musicals but if you ever do the classic movie rotation I want in. I'm not familiar enough with musicals to suggest any.

• Like 1

281d170b25cb94b75f80d720b38eba2a.jpg

My friend and I saw the 1946 Cocteau movie and both thought this was how Belle felt. It was SO obvious she liked him better as the Beast.

• Like 3

Not for musicals but if you ever do the classic movie rotation I want in. I'm not familiar enough with musicals to suggest any.

Hey man, I would be happy if you were to type "Musical" in IMDb and pick one at random. :). It's all for fun. No one expects anyone to be an expert.

• Like 5

You can literally pick anything and people will watch it. I speak from experience.

• Like 5

You can literally pick anything and people will watch it. I speak from experience.

Yeah, I was going to say that you can't do worse than Tommy but that's a statement that we'd come to rue. Or, you can go out of your way to do worse than Tommy. One of these days someone will pick something that's HDTGM-worthy and we'll all suffer en masse.

• Like 2

One of these days someone will pick something that's HDTGM-worthy and we'll all suffer en masse.

Shit, son, I'm counting the weeks...

• Like 4

Hey man, I would be happy if you were to type "Musical" in IMDb and pick one at random. :). It's all for fun. No one expects anyone to be an expert.

Now you accept the imdb musical tag?

blues-nun.gif

• Like 5