🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays-Week 4-Beauty and the Beast

Now you accept the imdb musical tag?

blues-nun.gif

I just make it a point to take the point most contrary to yours ;)

46b2071e843429abc39d597942885c88.jpg

• Like 6

Yasssss Penguin

That whole scene made me giggle so much.

I just make it a point to take the point most contrary to yours ;)

46b2071e843429abc39d597942885c88.jpg

<3

40047sw740.gif

• Like 4

Yeah, I was going to say that you can't do worse than Tommy but that's a statement that we'd come to rue. Or, you can go out of your way to do worse than Tommy. One of these days someone will pick something that's HDTGM-worthy and we'll all suffer en masse.

Yeah, I was going to say that you can't do worse than Tommy but that's a statement that we'd come to rue. Or, you can go out of your way to do worse than Tommy. One of these days someone will pick something that's HDTGM-worthy and we'll all suffer en masse.

OK, You talked me into it. I'll PM Cameron with the one musical I want to do but I think it's limited in conversation. Still off-the-wall though.

• Like 4

I'm very much on the fence for when my turn comes whether to pick something good or pick something HDTGM worthy.

• Like 3

Back to Beauty and Beast for a minute, I think the biggest question this film has to answer is if they are all French and living in France why is Lumiere the only one to have a French accent?

• Like 6

I'm very much on the fence for when my turn comes whether to pick something good or pick something HDTGM worthy.

I have a short list of five films: a few I genuinely love, a few I think fit our demographic a bit better. I think it's also good to base it on the quality of the previous picks - by the time we get to you we may well be desperate for some quality, or if we've had a few good ones in a row, it might be time for a Tommy.

• Like 3

I have a short list of five films: a few I genuinely love, a few I think fit our demographic a bit better. I think it's also good to base it on the quality of the previous picks - by the time we get to you we may well be desperate for some quality, or if we've had a few good ones in a row, it might be time for a Tommy.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I have three good ones I'm thinking about and about five bad. I shouldn't say bad, but of questionable quality.

This is a bit early to ask maybe but is there a website that I can check what's available on streaming services in North America? I'm not sure how everybody is watching these movies but I'd hate to pick something that nobody can get a hold of.

• Like 4

This is a bit early to ask maybe but is there a website that I can check what's available on streaming services in North America? I'm not sure how everybody is watching these movies but I'd hate to pick something that nobody can get a hold of.

It's not perfect but Can I Stream It? is a good start.

http://www.canistream.it/

• Like 3

Back to Beauty and Beast for a minute, I think the biggest question this film has to answer is if they are all French and living in France why is Lumiere the only one to have a French accent?

And in town, the shop signs were in French except for "Bookseller."

• Like 6

I just re-watched "Ratatouille" today with my kids, and was struck by the inconsistency of accents in there - the rats were all American, as was Linguini, but most of the chefs had stereotypical French English accents. Except, I was thinking, at the moment when the old lady is shooting at Remy with a shotgun and he's shouting (in English) that his brother should swing the chandelier to him, we hear from her perspective that he's squeaking like a rat. So, what do we take from the fact that we hear Remy sounding like Patton Oswalt but when the old lady hears him he sounds like a squeaking rat? Are we to assume that everyone in the kitchen is speaking French (obviously) but we hear it as accented English? In this sense, does this babelfish translator work in the Beauty and the Beast world too? We hear things as we need to hear them to fill out the character, even though we know full well they shouldn't have American accents?

This doesn't solve the 'bookseller' issue aside from the fact that the word 'bookseller' in French is 'librarie', and they didn't want viewers to think Belle was getting books from the library (like a frickin' PEASANT), but that she was getting new books from the bookshop?

Douglas Adams, you've saved us again.

• Like 5

I just re-watched "Ratatouille" today with my kids, and was struck by the inconsistency of accents in there - the rats were all American, as was Linguini, but most of the chefs had stereotypical French English accents. Except, I was thinking, at the moment when the old lady is shooting at Remy with a shotgun and he's shouting (in English) that his brother should swing the chandelier to him, we hear from her perspective that he's squeaking like a rat. So, what do we take from the fact that we hear Remy sounding like Patton Oswalt but when the old lady hears him he sounds like a squeaking rat? Are we to assume that everyone in the kitchen is speaking French (obviously) but we hear it as accented English? In this sense, does this babelfish translator work in the Beauty and the Beast world too? We hear things as we need to hear them to fill out the character, even though we know full well they shouldn't have American accents?

This doesn't solve the 'bookseller' issue aside from the fact that the word 'bookseller' in French is 'librarie', and they didn't want viewers to think Belle was getting books from the library (like a frickin' PEASANT), but that she was getting new books from the bookshop?

Douglas Adams, you've saved us again.

Genius. I have nothing to add except the obvious absurdity where a character speaks a foreign language, some translation device is introduced to another character and the first person's mouth magically changes to the translated language. Brilliantly deconstructed in Mel Brooks' To Be or Not To Be. Paraphrased: "In order to keep the audience from being confused Polish will no longer be spoken for the rest of the picture."

• Like 5

Good lord, thanks to this forum, my Letterboxd Watchlist is seriously scary.

To be fair, whether I subject you all to Rockula or not is entirely up to Fister. But if you just want to watch it, I'm not going to stop you.

• Like 1

But a bookshop whose owner just fucking lends books to people. Which is basically a goddamn library!

Or does she pay a monthly/annual borrowing fee?

• Like 4

But a bookshop whose owner just fucking lends books to people. Which is basically a goddamn library!

Maybe the bookseller is independently wealthy and does it for the joy of it. He's a philanthrobibliophile.

• Like 4

His return policy is amazing! He's like Audible.

Also, I'm concerned that she's the most literate person in town, but she just seems to be checking out, like, Jack and the Beanstalk and Snow White. And for some reason, these fairy tales are multiple chapters long...

• Like 5

When did we decide as a culture that if someone runs an Asylum they must be evil? Some people have serious problems and need a place to go where they won't be a danger to themselves and others.

Also, in any other Disney movie, Gaston would be the hero. They think a Beast is kidnapping villagers! And they're not wrong! I'm with the mob on this one--just like the people sadly waving their handkerchiefs from their windows as the angry mob passes by down below. These people weren't there to either see the Beast in the mirror or hear what's going on, yet they automatically cheer the pitchfork wielding rabble on! Are riotous mobs so common in this small, provincial town that when they see one forming they just fall in line behind them?

• Like 2

When did we decide as a culture that if someone runs an Asylum they must be evil? Some people have serious problems and need a place to go where they won't be a danger to themselves and others.

Also, in any other Disney movie, Gaston would be the hero. They think a Beast is kidnapping villagers! And he's not wrong! I'm with the mob on this one--just like the people sadly waving their handkerchiefs from their windows as the angry mob passes by down below. These people weren't there to either see the Beast in the mirror or hear what's going on, yet they automatically cheer the pitchfork wielding rabble on! Are riotous mobs so common in this small, provincial town that when they see one forming they just fall in line behind them?

Belle's father comes in and talks about how there is a Beast and nobody believe him and they all laugh at him. It's pure "crazy talk" which gives Gaston the idea to bribe the head of the asylum to commit him. I mean everybody in town knows there's no beast and it's laughable. Cut to Belle showing them the Beast and Gaston making bold claims about the horrors of the Beast and everybody just agreeing and going along with it. Just seconds before they had no proof of it and rumors were laughably silly, but yet since Gaston says so it must be true! Wake up sheeple!

• Like 4

Belle's father comes in and talks about how there is a Beast and nobody believe him and they all laugh at him. It's pure "crazy talk" which gives Gaston the idea to bribe the head of the asylum to commit him. I mean everybody in town knows there's no beast and it's laughable. Cut to Belle showing them the Beast and Gaston making bold claims about the horrors of the Beast and everybody just agreeing and going along with it. Just seconds before they had no proof of it and rumors were laughably silly, but yet since Gaston says so it must be true! Wake up sheeple!

Yeah, Gaston is all, "FAKE NEWS" and then lays down some alternative facts. I'm sure glad we live in a time and place where such obvious manipulations are impossible...

• Like 4

Regarding Maurice and his invention - he says that "this invention's going to be the start of a new life for us," so we know it's important, but did it seem like he barely completed it in time? A soon as the contraption chops wood successfully for the first time, Maurice packs it up and leaves for the fair (is it a science fair?). Is the fair the next day? What's the rush?

• Like 2

Regarding Maurice and his invention - he says that "this invention's going to be the start of a new life for us," so we know it's important, but did it seem like he barely completed it in time? A soon as the contraption chops wood successfully for the first time, Maurice packs it up and leaves for the fair (is it a science fair?). Is the fair the next day? What's the rush?

My wife said he's going to the "Invention Convention" and I believe her.

• Like 2

My wife said he's going to the "Invention Convention" and I believe her.

Me too.

Also, what exactly is powering the invention? It's a wood stove on top, isn't it? So you have to chop wood to fuel your wood chopper?

Annnnd, I found out that grey stuff is a thing.

• Like 3

"Belle deer, I've invented a device that'll allow you to see who's at the door!"

"Oh, did you drill a small hole in the door and attach a lens?"

"What? No! We drill some holes in the roof and the walls and via a series of tubes can look out like it's a small hole with a lens like it's in the middle of the door but it'll be next to it."

Seriously though, that's a better invention the the steam powered wood cutter.

• Like 3

Also, what exactly is powering the invention? It's a wood stove on top, isn't it? So you have to chop wood to fuel your wood chopper?

Part of it is steam powered from the kettle, but you would need a heat source to boil the water.

I want to know how does it keep reloading more logs to chop

• Like 2