🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays-Week 4-Beauty and the Beast

Not that I'm procrastinating on watching Across the Universe or anything, but what do you think about the message that if you're ugly on the inside, then your outside appearance should be ugly too. The prince was a meanie so he was turned into a hideous beast. Belle is beautiful on the inside so she's beautiful on the outside too. So does that translate to beautiful people are good and uggos are bad?

For some reason I thought you brought this up in the current Musical thread and went through every page to find it -__-

ANYWAY

Gaston is supposed to be considered physically beautiful though, right? Like we think he's ugly because he acts ugly but the entire town worships him like some god. Also Luke Evans plays him in the live action version and that man is fucking gorgeous lol.

• Like 2

Also Luke Evans plays him in the live action version and that man is fucking gorgeous lol.

And is also 11 years older than Emma Watson (Not trying to poop on anyone's fun. I just enjoy pointing these things out. Wait until the Across the Universe discussion. There's some weird stuff going on with age in that movie)

• Like 4

And is also 11 years older than Emma Watson (Not trying to poop on anyone's fun. I just enjoy pointing these things out. Wait until the Across the Universe discussion. There's some weird stuff going on with age in that movie)

But if we think about France in that era it doesn't seem that weird lol. Belle is supposed to be 17 I think. At least she is according to the interwebs.

• Like 3

Eleven year age difference doesn't seem odd now either tbh. As long as both parties are consenting adults, it's none of my business.

• Like 4

But if we think about France in that era it doesn't seem that weird lol. Belle is supposed to be 17 I think. At least she is according to the interwebs.

In this case, it's definitely LESS weird. It's just something I pay attention to because men get to play young a LOT longer than women do. One of the most egregious ones recently was The Edge of Seventeen (which is a really excellent film), but Hailee Steinfeld (20) has an older brother in the movie played by Blake Jenner (24) who is still supposed to be in high school. Maybe it's because I had seen the awful Everybody Wants Some!! last summer and that clouded my perspective, but I was like, "There's no way that dude is still in high school."

So then I went to IMDb and looked at other cast members' ages. Hayden Szeto, the dude that plays Steinfeld's "love interest"(kind of...) is 31! It's totally bonkers.

Eleven year age difference doesn't seem odd now either tbh. As long as both parties are consenting adults, it's none of my business.

I agree. And I have friends that are ~10 years in age difference who are excellent couples, but it's just interesting to me that it's always an older man with a younger woman in movies.

• Like 2

Remember the Courtney and Doug conversation on the Explanation Hopeline?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXElU2k7OkY

Oh shit snap, their separation was just reported today. That's spooky.

• Like 1

In this case, it's definitely LESS weird. It's just something I pay attention to because men get to play young a LOT longer than women do. One of the most egregious ones recently was The Edge of Seventeen (which is a really excellent film), but Hailee Steinfeld (20) has an older brother in the movie played by Blake Jenner (24) who is still supposed to be in high school. Maybe it's because I had seen the awful Everybody Wants Some!! last summer and that clouded my perspective, but I was like, "There's no way that dude is still in high school."

So then I went to IMDb and looked at other cast members' ages. Hayden Szeto, the dude that plays Steinfeld's "love interest"(kind of...) is 31! It's totally bonkers.

Yo I'm not disagreeing with you at ALL. I very much had an issue that Jennifer Lawrence is 9 months younger than me and already was playing a mother of 2 kids who were around 10 years old in Joy. It's 100% something I always notice as well. Women play older than they are while men play younger. It always happens always.

Actually all of JLaw's roles since Hunger Games have put her being older and dating/married to MUCH older men. Why Lord, why???

I think Dan Stevens being 8 years older than Emma is something more to look at than Luke Evans. We never actually know the age of Gaston and could very well be a man in his late 20s-mid 30s who is trying to marry the 17 year old girl in the story. But we know for a fact that Beast is only 20.

(ETA: Overall I'm in agreement with tomspanks on the consenting adults = not my business BUT the way Hollywood portrays relationships is always skewed in the "older men get younger hot women" favor and I'm always in more need of older women getting young hot dudes. EQUALITY!)

• Like 5

Yo I'm not disagreeing with you at ALL. I very much had an issue that Jennifer Lawrence is 9 months younger than me and already was playing a mother of 2 kids who were around 10 years old in Joy. It's 100% something I always notice as well. Women play older than they are while men play younger. It always happens always.

Actually all of JLaw's roles since Hunger Games have put her being older and dating/married to MUCH older men. Why Lord, why???

I'm 100% positive you've seen this, but I just never pass up a chance to post it:

• Like 3

That's true - there are fewer older women/younger men couples in films. I would give Mitchell's 2 left testicles to see a female Bond with younger Bond boys (eww, that sounds gross).

• Like 5

That's true - there are fewer older women/younger men couples in films. I would give Mitchell's 2 left testicles to see a female Bond with younger Bond boys (eww, that sounds gross).

I was so excited when they announced that Monica Bellucci was going to be a Bond girl until I found out that JK he's actually going to fall in love with Lea Seydoux...

• Like 3

I was so excited when they announced that Monica Bellucci was going to be a Bond girl until I found out that JK he's actually going to fall in love with Lea Seydoux...

Speaking of Lea Seydoux, I just want to point out Rachel Weisz is 6 years older than Colin Farrell, and that's one of the billion reasons The Lobster is one of the best movies ever. (also, Angeliki Papoulia, who plays the Heartless Woman, is about a year older than Farrell)

• Like 5

Guys, I was listening to The Book of Mormon soundtrack and my cat changed it to La La Land.

34bde2c7eac4b12fec8ebfad5b806f0f5c12f2f7493fd40ca2e01f5d6c84901e.jpg

• Like 6

Soooooooooooo did anyone see the new Beauty and the Beast? I just watched it today, and....I have a lot of thoughts.

I don't want to add spoilers for anyone that hasn't seen it yet, but, generally speaking, what did you guys think?

Side note: I almost PM'd Taylor directly to see if she saw it, but I figure others might have thoughts, too, and I want to hear all of them

• Like 4

Of course I saw it lol.

I thought it was okay. I feel like if I didn't have the extreme tie to the animated movie that I have then I might have liked it more.

Also trying to avoid spoilers which seems odd considering the whole story is the exact same lol.

• Like 4

Soooooooooooo did anyone see the new Beauty and the Beast? I just watched it today, and....I have a lot of thoughts.

I don't want to add spoilers for anyone that hasn't seen it yet, but, generally speaking, what did you guys think?

Side note: I almost PM'd Taylor directly to see if she saw it, but I figure others might have thoughts, too, and I want to hear all of them

I liked it but I didn't reeeally like/love it. The new songs I was kinda "meh" about and probably could have done without? It's been awhile since Ive seen the original but has been one of my favorite disney movies since I was a kid.

My friends and my siblings all loved it though, maybe my expectations were too high?

• Like 4

The new songs I was kinda "meh" about and probably could have done without?

I found myself checking out during every new song.

• Like 5

I found myself checking out during every new song.

Agreed. I get what they were going for, which was to add more songs to the movie to make it more musical-ish. But none of the new songs really grabbed me. I also didn't like the changes they made to existing songs (ESPECIALLY "Gaston").

My biggest Taylor question is: how did you feel about Luke Evans as Gaston? I know you really like him, but he.....kind of didn't work for me.

• Like 4

My biggest Taylor question is: how did you feel about Luke Evans as Gaston? I know you really like him, but he.....kind of didn't work for me.

Oh I thought he was the best part! I genuinely kept thinking he was fuckin' nailing it!

• Like 4

I saw B&B the Thursday night of opening weekend and had a really fun time. I also liked Luke Evans as Gaston - so much that at times I found myself wanting him to win and get that Beast. I wouldn't be mad if someone made a Gaston/LeFou spinoff/prequel.

• Like 4