🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 154.5 - Minisode 154.5

Anyone have any good Four Loco stories?

My parents use to throw a giant BBQ party every summer. Somewhere over the years a tradition began of people bringing the worse booze they could fine to the party. Some things were normal-ish like Fireball Whiskey and then some things got weird like tomato wine. The last year we had party, one of my cousins brought a can of Four Loko. Naturally he started by trying it and almost started gagging. He said it was undescribable, and we just had to try it. Naturally the can began being passed around to various reactions none of which were good. I myself just remember it being a sickening sweet mess that seemed to burn as you felt every inch of it going through you. The thing was the one can was not enough for everybody to have a taste, so he had to run out and get another because it was the talk of the party. When he returned the second can was passed around and sampled, but then more people were showing up and they hadn't tried it. He ended up making five trips back and forth buying one can at a time, before he just came back with a giant bag full of them. As the party went on all those who drank had a taste, and no one really wanted another. The problem was now he was stuck with a bag of like five unopened ones. The party was dying down and we were sitting around the fire pit, when our ex-neighbour showed up. He'd just finished work and came to "help clean up" the food and beer. When he found out the keg was empty he asked what else we had at which point my cousin gave him the bag of Four Lokos. He cracked it opened and took a little sip. "This is awesome" he cried and began to slam it. My cousin offered him the bag, which he gladly took. Eventually the last of us turned in for the night and he offered to take care of the fire. When we awoke in the morning he was still in our backyard just sitting by a still going fire. He told us that he drank all five cans and then became enchanted by the fire, and he was unaware that like six hours had passed. He just kept staring into the flames and throwing more logs on as it died.

• Like 6

I just want to talk about Airborne so much... Friday get here soon!!!

• Like 3

First of all, your Four Loco story was amazing!

Also, I feel like I either need the episode to get here or a botanical garden to skate through. At this point, I'd take either one, brah. #legitrad

• Like 2

First of all, your Four Loco story was amazing!

Also, I feel like I either need the episode to get here or a botanical garden to skate through. At this point, I'd take either one, brah. #legitrad

Thank you.

I got this movie online, so I didn't have the joy of watching it with Japanese subtitles. My goal is in the next week track this down on video in Japan just to see how they tried to subtitle it. I can't imagine the hell it must have been for them.

• Like 3

I messed up my ankle last year in a bike accident, and when I went to the urgent care clinic, they took my vitals, and the nurse was like, "Your BP is a pretty high. Have you heard that before?"

I said that I hadn't been to the doctor in years, and they asked a few other questions. One was how much caffeine I drank.

At the time, I was drinking 2 16-oz cups of coffee every morning and a SF Red Bull every afternoon.

They were like, "Yeah...so that's not good."

I came here to see where the best place to watch Airborne was, but got caught up in all the other hullabaloo.

I'm on...7-8 espressos a day and sometimes a 5Hour Energy. I mean, it's that or develop healthy sleeping patterns. I'm no chump.

Guess I should ask my dr about this.

• Like 1

Yessss, me too. Like, what is this? Can any Midwesterners explain this?

eiVReCY.jpg

• Like 6

Yessss, me too. Like, what is this? Can any Midwesterners explain this?

eiVReCY.jpg

As a lifelong Midwesterner: no. No I can't.

• Like 2

Speaking of Midwesterner, this might be why I hadn't heard of 4Loko. I worked at a liquor store during the entire "energy booze" saga. I remember when it was introduced, and I remember when it was banned. I clearly remember B-e (energy Bud), and Captain Morgan Tattoo (black-colored energy rum), but I never saw any 4Loko. Maybe it wasn't distributed in my region, or maybe just not in Iowa? We didn't even have Chocodiles til like last year.

Some thoughts on Airboure

I love Seth Green but this part he's given straight up embarrassing

That Shane Mitchell is very attractive

I absolutely hated the line his aunt asked him .."has he ever met John Wayne?" . Even the most out of touch adult in 93 would know The Duke died years before ( in 1979! )

It's like pretending today you missed Michael Jackson or David Bowie died.

Also again that Shane Mitchell was very attractive.

• Like 2

Also that dude Jack clearly wants to fuck Mitchell ..his anger is obviously repressed sexuality

• Like 1

Did anyone catch Jack sniffed Mitch shoes when he stole them...you don't sniff a classmates shoes unless you want to fuck him

I absolutely hated the line his aunt asked him .."has he ever met John Wayne?" . Even the most out of touch adult in 93 would know The Duke died years before ( in 1979! )

Also again that Shane Mitchell was very attractive.

I was disappointed that Edie McClurg (that name!) was given so little to do, as she is ubiquitous in 80s/90s media as the preeminent Midwestern aunt/nosy neighbor/PTA mom/etc and just kills at that Wisconsin accent. She lights up the few scenes she's in.

Shane Mitchell (starring here in his first and only film) is generically pretty in that Jonathan Brandis/Jonathan Taylor Thomas way, like they took a bunch of Tiger Beat issues from 1990 and grew him in a tube. I wanted to smack him, but that had more to do with his terrible mock surfer psuedo spirituality.

Did anyone else think while watching this movie, "I really hope there's one of those 'trying on outfits' montages"? And then it was like your prayer had been answered?

• Like 5

Did anyone else think while watching this movie, "I really hope there's one of those 'trying on outfits' montages"? And then it was like your prayer had been answered?

The ONLY thing missing from that montage was a moment at the end where Mitchell stood and applauded at the perfect selection, a la 'Pretty Woman' and 'Dumb and Dumber'.

• Like 3

Does this movie have the lowest stakes ever for How Did This Get Made candidate

• Like 3

I don't know. I know it's all relative, but gaining the respect of your peers, beating the preps, achieving some measure of inner peace, accepting where you are rather than where you want to be, and winning the hand of your lady love all seem like appropriate stakes for a teen movie. Not appropriate? Watching sixteen year old kids in barely any padding get slammed painfully beneath moving vehicles.

• Like 3

This seems like the perfect June HDTGM movie. Rollerskates, teenagers and a hyper-realistic portrayal of the travesty that was 90s popular culture, which has somehow aged worse than the 70s and 80s. All I kept thinking cringing my way through this was we are going to be watching hipsters from the 2010s in movies in exactly the same cringy way in 20 years. And their dumb tattoos won't fade and neither will all the pictures of them online with Salafi beards and deep V-necks. There is no evidence of any of the stupid shit we wore in the 90s apart from some family photos we can burn ceremoniously. Thank god the internet was terrible then. We can spend our last moments in the trenches of World War III looking back and laughing at how stupid Garden State looks. Although its pretty fucking stupid already.

• Like 2

Also relating to the wondrously off-topic discussion, who in their right mind would drink alcohol mixed with energy drinks if they were over the age of 12? What is wrong with everyone? Even if you don't care about the taste there are cheaper and more efficient ways to fuck yourself up. I know alcoholics who wouldn't touch that shit.

• Like 2

Also relating to the wondrously off-topic discussion, who in their right mind would drink alcohol mixed with energy drinks if they were over the age of 12? What is wrong with everyone? Even if you don't care about the taste there are cheaper and more efficient ways to fuck yourself up. I know alcoholics who wouldn't touch that shit.

Honestly, at least a part of what made it fun was the fact that they are so gross. I imagine a lot of that "fun" is tied up in the same part of my brain that enjoys shifty movies, cheesy music, dumb television, and poorly written novels. There was joy in that first sip (how bad is "watermelon" as opposed to "grape?") and the look on each other's face as the flavor hit the tongue. It's definitively not something you do by yourself. And, as far as cost goes, it doesn't take much to fuck you up. I don't think I ever needed more than one and a half cans.

Also, like I mentioned in my previous post, my wife and I liked to play drinking games, but beer makes you feel bloated and tired, and anything else might fuck you up too fast. Four Loco would keep you up and alert.

(Oh, how I sometimes long for the Bacchanalian pre-children days. Not really, of course. But there were good times :) )

• Like 2

Also I cant wait to hear Jason talk about all the sexual tension that was coming through during the hockey scene. After Jack tackles Mitchell he sits there for a full beat with his hand on Mitchell's chest. Its fucking crazy.

• Like 2

Sorry to break it to you guys but... no Jason and no June. The guests should be great though! One of which is returning after being gone for far too long!

• Like 4

You took the words right out of my mouth. The crazy thing is that the ONLY stakes are if he's going to leave Cincinnati at the end of 6 months.

Wait, what? You mean the movie ends without that critical piece of plot??

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this