🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 154.5 - Minisode 154.5

You took the words right out of my mouth. The crazy thing is that the ONLY stakes are if he's going to leave Cincinnati at the end of 6 months.

Wait, what? You mean the movie ends without that critical piece of plot??

I have to respectfully disagree that leaving Cincinnati is the "only" stake. What other stakes would you have liked? Keep in mind, this is a fish-out-of-water story for children about a rollerblading surfer.

I also disagree that deciding whether or not to go home is a "critical piece of plot." Realistically, he's a teenager and he either goes home or stays at his parents' discretion. What's more important, to me, is his acceptance of where he is. Throughout the movie, the only place he wants to be, even when things are going okay for him, is "somewhere else" (i.e. California...or Australia), but by the end of the movie he has learned to "be here now." It's not about worrying about the future, it's about enjoying the moment that you're experiencing right now.

At least, that was my takeaway.

I love this movie.

• Like 2

I have to respectfully disagree that leaving Cincinnati is the "only" stake. What other stakes would you have liked? Keep in mind, this is a fish-out-of-water story for children about a rollerblading surfer.

I also disagree that deciding whether or not to go home is a "critical piece of plot." Realistically, he's a teenager and he either goes home or stays at his parents' discretion. What's more important, to me, is his acceptance of where he is. Throughout the movie, the only place he wants to be, even when things are going okay for him, is "somewhere else" (i.e. California...or Australia), but by the end of the movie he has learned to "be here now." It's not about worrying about the future, it's about enjoying the moment that you're experiencing right now.

At least, that was my takeaway.

I love this movie.

Add to that Mitchell needs to learn that his 'hey, chill out bro' attitude, which might be effective in its pacifist nature, pulls him out of truly interacting with people around him and marks him as a flake. He insults the bullies and walks away which paints him as a target, he barely participates in the ice hockey game even though (based on his ball hockey skills) he could very well have done well, and when he's threatened he is cocky to the point of infuriating everyone he comes across. It's not until he realises that if he stays in his box as the cool Californian guy that he's not truly living the life he could be living in Cincinnati. He finds a nice middle ground between the laid back surfer and the more up-front style of the other kids, and grows as a result, but never loses his sense of self. There's a nice growth theme throughout this movie which I liked. The only troubling thing was when he declared that he needed to put up with these kids for three more months, and then he's gone, and Nikki reacts (understandably) badly, but he never addresses that, and, presumably, he'll cut bait not long after conquering Devil's Backbone. I wonder what Mitchell would look like in 'Airborne 2' with his Cincinnati skills adjusting to Californian life again...

• Like 2

I wonder what Mitchell would look like in 'Airborne 2' with his Cincinnati skills adjusting to Californian life again...

I think he becomes a realtor/artist in Texas.

• Like 5

I think he becomes a realtor/artist in Texas.

I want to see the Airborne prequel where Mitchell permanently maims a child who tries to get on "his" wave.

• Like 4

Just in case you guys were wondering if this movie contains a scene in which two former rivals Bro Shake as they help each other off the ground, reaching a level of mutual respect... yes. This movie has that scene.

• Like 6

Just in case you guys were wondering if this movie contains a scene in which two former rivals Bro Shake as they help each other off the ground, reaching a level of mutual respect... yes. This movie has that scene.

Right after heartlessly dispatching their mutual rival over a guardrail and into a river.

• Like 5

Are there any Blaines who aren't villains?

There's a graduate thesis to be written on this subject: I propose a working title of "A progressive taxonomy of naming conventions for twentieth-century cinema villains".

No, seriously. Name your child Blaine, you know he'll grow up to be the worst.

My apologies to any perfectly nice Blaines reading this.

IMDb supports the theory: http://www.imdb.com/...ef_=fn_al_ch_mr

• Like 3

I'm really hoping we're on the verge of a "thematic" binge and that the Cutting Edge, Gleaming the Cube, and fuck it, Rad, are coming up soon.

• Like 5

Are there any Blaines who aren't villains?

We're talking about in life, right?

Because that answer is also no.

• Like 4

BLANE WAS NOT THE VILLAIN OF THAT STORY

Villain? No. Major tool? Hell yes.

• Like 2

Villain? No. Major tool? Hell yes.

I argue that society creates situations where these guys end up acting so, cause Duckie acts like a major tool for a good part of the movie as well.

Except James Spader, his character is just a fuckin' tool no matter what.

• Like 1

I argue that society creates situations where these guys end up acting so, cause Duckie acts like a major tool for a good part of the movie as well.

I didn't say Duckie wasn't also a tool...

• Like 3

Currently rewatching Airborne with my wife. Favorite part:

Jack: Stay away from my sister!

Cameron H's wife: (jaw hits floor) Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? This movie just got good!

• Like 4

Has anyone seen Some Kind of Wonderful? I haven't but I want to. Apparently it's John Hughes's apology for Pretty in Pink. semi off-subject, the original version of that song is fuckin' ace!

• Like 1

Currently rewatching Airborne with my wife. Favorite part:

Jack: Stay away from my sister!

Cameron H's wife: (jaw hits floor) Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? This movie just got good!

HOW THE FUCK DID SETH GREEN NOT KNOW THEY WERE SIBLINGS?!

tumblr_inline_mmge2r3rkm1qz4rgp.gif

Has anyone seen Some Kind of Wonderful? I haven't but I want to. Apparently it's John Hughes's apology for Pretty in Pink. semi off-subject, the original version of that song is fuckin' ace!

Some Kind of Wonderful is awesome. Mary Stuart Masterson, y'all...

large.gif

• Like 6

HOW THE FUCK DID SETH GREEN NOT KNOW THEY WERE SIBLINGS?!

Annnnd...are they twins? They look to be about the same age. Does this explain some of the sexual tension between Jack and Mitchell?

My second favorite quote from my wife while watching this movie.

(Mitchell enters his new Cincinnati home)

Cameron H's Wife: Ugh...it's all middle class and lame.

• Like 3

Mary Stuart Masterson is the better version of Duckie in that movie.

ETA: Damn it, Fister.

• Like 5

Mary Stuart Masterson is the better version of Duckie in that movie.

ETA: Damn it, Fister.

Mary Stuart Masterson is the best version of everything.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-26087-1383324025-15.gif

• Like 7

I'm really hoping we're on the verge of a "thematic" binge and that the Cutting Edge, Gleaming the Cube, and fuck it, Rad, are coming up soon.

Speaking of which, has anyone else ever seen this turdburger? I feel like it's a spiritual successor to Airborne.

Here's the breakdown:

• Tom Sawyer story set in the seventies (although it doesn't ever really commit to that)
  • Mid-Westerner sent to live with Aunt in California.
  • A big surf contest
  • Murder mystery

And if all this doesn't pique your interest, I have three words for you. Brian. Austin. Green.

• Like 5

I'm finally catching up!! I listened to the minisode today! I listened all the way through to the ad for Gilbert Gottfried's podcast, which is mostly because even though his voice is so irritating I just... can't... stop... listening...

I'm excited for this Airborne movie! Definitely gotta look it up for Friday! There's just so many 90s movies that are awful but just SO 90s you can't help but enjoy them.

Ironically, today I am wearing a shirt I got back in 1994 via a SEGA catalog to tie in with the Sonic & Knuckles game and it's pretty damn 90s if I say so myself.

2qcqvk6.jpg

They have "Atti2udes"! Holy shit!

(Wearing this bit of nostalgia to celebrate friends' made up holiday "Hedgehog Day" for the release of Sonic 3 (Feb 2, 1994))

• Like 9

So maybe I wasn't paying attention at the beginning of the DEVIL'S BACKBONE (btw they are called "spines") race where they discussed the rules -- wait, did he just say "the only rule is there are no rules "? What kind of race is decided by whoever gets the most across the finish line? I've never heard of that before. When Mitchell was on the freeway and it seemed like he was going to lose, I was thinking him and Jake would have a heart-to-heart and talk about how winning wasn't as important as friends blah blah. Did I miss the part where they talked about Devil's Backbone being a double elimination race?

Sign in to follow this