🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 155 - Airborne: LIVE!

Paul talked about ICON Productions as if they only made "Airborne." ICON is Mel Gibson's production company since 1989, and most recently made "Hacksaw Ridge." Other movies they have made include: "Braveheart", ""The Passion of the Christ", "Apocalypto", and "Mr. Holmes."

Is the logo the same?

It is said by all of the guests many times that this is basically four movies. And Rob Bowman is a noted TV director. Knowing that a half-hour episode of a TV show runs approximately twenty-two minutes without commercials, and that this movie runs just under 90 minutes, is it possible that this movie is actually four TV episodes?

I thought about this too, because the feel of it is a lot more like television than theatrical. There's weird edits with wipes instead of cuts, the continuity is quite poor at times, there's a lot of secondary characters that disappear (the two girls, the twin hockey players, Mitchell's relatives). The weak plot and incidental nature of the events seem to support this. You could easily edit a hockey episode, an episode where Mitchell goes on a double date, an episode with the race, an episode where Edie McClurg suspects him of using drugs, etc.

I felt vindicated that Scott and Kumail were as checked out as I was and were confused about the race "rules".

• Like 4

Current logo: icon_04.jpg

Given that this is Mel Gibson's production company, this logo feels vaguely threatening and ominous. Strangely though, at the same time it also feels like it really should be the logo for Paint Shop software for Windows 3.1 and not exist in 2017.

• Like 4

Given that this is Mel Gibson's production company, this logo feels vaguely threatening and ominous. Strangely though, at the same time it also feels like it really should be the logo for Paint Shop software for Windows 3.1 and not exist in 2017.

or that

if you'd zoom out to the entire piece of art it would be extremely anti-semetic.

• Like 1

it always looked familar and now i know why ... looking it up ... it's Mary's eye from the Theotokos of Vladimir icon. I'll say no more about that but it's amazing the things you learn from watching crappy movies.

The tagline readings were amazing. They should have looked at the bottom of the posters though for some of the critic taglines. One critic tagline was "the French Connection of rollerblade chases."

• Like 4

which one will be the valentines episode?

kamzo5.jpg

edit: the lake house is the first dvd i bought in anticipation for the a movie getting the HDTGM treatment that has actually worked out ... cost me 25 cents ... i've got a stack of other unwatched DVDs waiting ... Driven, CopOut, Knock Off, Hancock and on and on .. so many bad movies so little time

• Like 2

First off, happy to finally be back on the boards! The Facebook integration broke which somehow rendered my old username (sycasey) unusable. Now it's working again and finally enabled me to sign up with a new account. Now, on to a correction!

Paul misheard the lyrics to one of the songs in the movie. He thought it said "My love is goody love." Nope! It's "My Love Is Good Enough," a song by erstwhile 90210 crooner Jeremy Jordan:

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 1

Pretty sure it's Surf Ninjas.

https://mobile.twitt...423398682836992

i'd say they will move the order around and slip the lake house in for the week of the 14th .. but my "i'd say"s are usually wrong so you're probably right

also we didn't get a halloween ep or a christmas ep so the chances of a valentines ep are low i guess. but what's more romantic than sandra and keanu communicating through time via a mailbox at a lake house ...

which one will be the valentines episode?

kamzo5.jpg

edit: the lake house is the first dvd i bought in anticipation for the a movie getting the HDTGM treatment that has actually worked out ... cost me 25 cents ... i've got a stack of other unwatched DVDs waiting ... Driven, CopOut, Knock Off, Hancock and on and on .. so many bad movies so little time

I AM SCREAMING

THE LAKE HOUSE

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is my least favorite movie OF ALL TIME

• Like 5

The movie they made up based on "Mitchell became the most popular kid on earth when he took to the air" being about a nerdy kid who goes to space camp and becomes popular when he saves the day in space? That's already a movie and it's called Space Camp and that super nerdy kid? It's Joaquin Phoenix way back when his name was still Leaf.

• Like 5

Okay, much like tomspanks, I also took notes, like some kind of live show nerd. I would type them all up now, but my notebook's juuust out of reach, so I'll lead off with one thing I noticed that both dates and places the film.

The hockey playing twins spend all of their time in hockey jerseys - the only figures who actually wear hockey-specific shirts, if I recall - and the costume designer did a bang-up job of figuring out what a hockey kid would wear in Cincinnati in 1993. Both of them are wearing jerseys from the Cincinnati Cyclones, an International League team whose most recent iteration now plays in the ECHL. Here's a picture of the boys in their shirts.

airborne-photo-3-black-and-.jpg

As you can see, the Cyclones jerseys are fairly memorable, but most importantly, they were only worn by Cincinnati for one season - the 1992/93 season. So, the team was new in town and the costumer stuck the twins in Cyclones jerseys, which were immediately voted as having the worst logo in all of hockey, voted on by The Hockey News. As a result, the Cyclones immediately flipped their logo into one that didn't look like Jason Voorhees caught in a high wind, and, of course, opted for an anthopomorphised cyclone with a stick, missing teeth.

Go to the authoritative sportslogos.net for more information:

http://www.sportslog...93/Primary_Logo

What I find coolest about this is that it gives us a definitive date and location for this film, all based on the prominent use of two jerseys featuring a failed logo.

EDIT: Ooh! And I'm just noticing! In the pic above, they're wearing Cyclones sweatshirts, whereas at school, they're wearing Cyclones hockey jerseys. So, I guess they had a range of stuff for them from the same team store.

Also: MOST TWINS DON'T DRESS ALIKE, MOVIE. Particularly not in their teens.

I have way more notes but meh, it's a long week.

• Like 14

I'm sorry, I have a lot to say. I was so invested in this fine movie that I couldn't help taking notes.

5. After Mitchell receives his rollerblades in the mail and runs into Nikki, she's holding a giant Mary Poppins-style umbrella. Not sure why she needed one? It wasn't raining. Anyway, in the next scene, at the botanical garden, Nikki isn't carrying the umbrella. However, when they leave, she's holding the umbrella again. Did she have to check in the umbrella before she could tour the botanical garden?

Finally I feel free to talk about this movie! Feels good.

I just want to echo this point some more. This movie has a very odd habit of people magically gaining and losing objects. Look at the opening. These two dudes strap on their safety gear and backpacks and head to the beach. They start surfing, and I'm left asking, where did those surf boards come from? Then as I mentally reason they maybe have borrowed them or keep them at the beach, we cut to them heading home carrying the surf boards. You didn't come with them so why are you taking it home? Did they just buy them at the beach?

Then to your point when Nikki invites Mitchell to the botanical gardens Mitchell is wearing all his safety gear, but when they are at the botanical garden it's just all gone. He doesn't have his backpack this time, so where did it all go? They go to leave and he's still gear free, but on his way home he has all his safety gear on. Also, why are they allowing him in barefoot? He steps on a twig or thorn or something that has fallen onto the path and that seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Like 5

Okay, much like CakeBug I have so much to say but I'll hold off on letting it all out now. However, I need to talk about the character of Snake.

Now there has already been a lot of talk about him and his lack or non-lack of hobbies but doesn't anybody else find it odd that he's so quickly and seamlessly blended into the hockey team when that's not who he is at all. When Mitchell first gets to the school he bumps into Snake. Snake is walking with this two tall leather jacket clad tough guys. Seth Green immediately jumps in to save Mitchell and tells him that Snake is the baddest kid in the whole school. So this visually and storywise it's set up that Snake is a thug, the school tough guy. After speech class he overhears that the hockey team is short players and just volunteers to play. Jack is just like "okay" and doesn't question if the school tough guy knows how to skate or play hockey. They all just accept this as a fact. Maybe out of fear they accept it but the point is the tough guy character who has no hobbies but being tough and violent wants to play hockey and they just accept. Turns out he's the best player on the team, and at the end of the movie he's also the best skater. From that first game on he's always with the hockey team, people he had no connection with prior to strapping those skates on. What about his two friends from the beginning? He just stops handing out with them because he's loved by the hockey guys now? Does he give up his thuggish ways to be a sportsman? Why would the school tough guy even care about school sports or school rep? Who knew he had this hidden hockey potential? Basically what I'm saying why isn't there a movie from Snake's POV about a tough kid who loved hockey and was just secretly waiting for his chance to shine.

• Like 6

It's strangely unnerving to be able to type a name into google and find Shane McDermott's (Mitchell Goosen's) cell phone number, but there he is, selling real estate and his art in Texas. Good for him.

The thing I wanted to point out about this was in his Instagram bio: https://www.instagram.com/sfmcdermott/

Notice anything familiar? Doesn't look like he's let go of the grand lessons Pepe the shark have taught him, to this day!

Also - he looks like a very nice family man now. I pray to God he didn't hear the podcast, because that was mostly brutal.

• Like 4

He absolutely heard this podcast, are you kidding?

I'm genuinely tempted to comment on his instagram that he shouldn't listen. Just keep the warm happy feelings of Mitchell Goosen locked up tight and away from every time anyone on the podcast says "fuck that kid".

I'm absolutely not going to comment on his instagram, btw

• Like 2

Okay, much like tomspanks, I also took notes, like some kind of live show nerd. I would type them all up now, but my notebook's juuust out of reach, so I'll lead off with one thing I noticed that both dates and places the film.

The hockey playing twins spend all of their time in hockey jerseys - the only figures who actually wear hockey-specific shirts, if I recall - and the costume designer did a bang-up job of figuring out what a hockey kid would wear in Cincinnati in 1993. Both of them are wearing jerseys from the Cincinnati Cyclones, an International League team whose most recent iteration now plays in the ECHL. Here's a picture of the boys in their shirts.

airborne-photo-3-black-and-.jpg

As you can see, the Cyclones jerseys are fairly memorable, but most importantly, they were only worn by Cincinnati for one season - the 1992/93 season. So, the team was new in town and the costumer stuck the twins in Cyclones jerseys, which were immediately voted as having the worst logo in all of hockey, voted on by The Hockey News. As a result, the Cyclones immediately flipped their logo into one that didn't look like Jason Voorhees caught in a high wind, and, of course, opted for an anthopomorphised cyclone with a stick, missing teeth.

Go to the authoritative sportslogos.net for more information:

http://www.sportslog...93/Primary_Logo

What I find coolest about this is that it gives us a definitive date and location for this film, all based on the prominent use of two jerseys featuring a failed logo.

EDIT: Ooh! And I'm just noticing! In the pic above, they're wearing Cyclones sweatshirts, whereas at school, they're wearing Cyclones hockey jerseys. So, I guess they had a range of stuff for them from the same team store.

Also: MOST TWINS DON'T DRESS ALIKE, MOVIE. Particularly not in their teens.

I have way more notes but meh, it's a long week.

If this isn't the C&O of the week it would be a fucking travesty.

• Like 7