🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 58 — Less Is More

While many of our guests are sports fans, very few have the compelling insight of Mr. Kevin Pollak. He brings to the calming shores a deep Giants fandom and some unbelievable personal stories from Sugar Ray Leonard. The inside baseball doesn't stop there as Racist Vin Scully visits us hot on the heels of his major announcement. For the non-sports fans in the audience, we've got news from Snooki, George Lucas, and posts from the Facebook wall of Ronald McDonald. Be on the look-out for Hendersons and Daughters (out on September 13th andcurrently available for pre-order), and go punch a waterfall!

While many of our guests are sports fans, very few have the compelling insight of Mr. Kevin Pollak. He brings to the calming shores a deep Giants fandom and some unbelievable personal stories from Sugar Ray Leonard. The inside baseball doesn't stop there as Racist Vin Scully visits us hot on the heels of his major announcement. For the non-sports fans in the audience, we've got news from Snooki, George Lucas, and posts from the Facebook wall of Ronald McDonald. Be on the look-out for Hendersons and Daughters (out on September 13th andcurrently available for pre-order), and go punch a waterfall!

Randy and Jason: I'm excited that other Rowan alums are writing in regarding your upcoming show. I'm a 2009 graduate of Rowan who also lives within 5min. of the school as well, and I plan on attending that evening.
-
You mentioned our mighty mascot, The Prof. The mascot's name originally stood for "The Professors," as Rowan University, formerly Glassboro State College, was once primarily a college for educators. The original mascot was a studious looking owl with a monocle and a graduation cap.
-
A few years ago the university invested in a new mascot uniform, which you may see in a photo below (that's me in the costume!). The Prof is now a bit more intimidating, with imposing eyebrows and an athletic build. And I, sirs, donned that costume during my time at Rowan University.
-
It's not an easy thing being a college mascot - limited visibility, soaring temperatures, attacks by drunk fans, and a need to constantly replenish one's repetoire with new dance moves are all challenges that a mascot faces. However, the greatest challenge I ever faced as The Prof was a little thing called mascot basketball.
-
I was invited, as Rowan's Prof, to attend a Philadelphia 76ers game during my college tenure. Several mascots from area university teams and professional and minor league teams were there to celebrate the birthday of the 76ers' mascot, Hip Hop. It was a strange evening spent in a green room with other people who have chosen, as their life's work or a hobby, to don giant cartoonish heads and dance for strangers. Myself and the other mascots made several appearances on the court during the game. Having received little instruction, we mostly ran around and danced, but I made of a point of always being the last off of the court, so maybe I'd get the chance to get a little game time.
-
Well, my game time finally game, gentlemen, during a half-time show known as Mascot Basketball. The other mascots and I were told to choose teams and play a game. My immediate fear was that I would somehow fall and faceplant on the court, thus becoming an immortal portion of ESPN's Blooper Reel forever. I escaped that fate, though I will admit my performance was certainly lackluster. The mascots that had real hands, sneakers and fitted clothes shared the advantage, whereas folks like myself, with giant character heads, large cushioned shoes, and furry, four-fingered hands didn't stand much of a chance.
-
My favorite portion of the game was a pretzel mascot who was there representing a local business. In the green room, all of us other mascots had taken off our "heads" in order to talk and drink water. The pretzel, however, never did this. He or she stood under 5 feet in height, and had no arms on the costume. The pretzel person never once undressed or spoke to any of us the entire evening, and was clearly unable to offer any support in the game, so we spent that time running circles around the pretzel, taunting it, spinning it around, and laughing.
-
I'll still never know who was in that pretzel and if my actions will come back to haunt me, but I can at least selfishly admit that I made it through a 76ers mascot basketball game without being the laughing stock of the evening... Oh, and then I eventually earned a college degree or whatever.
-
See you at Rowan! Go Profs!

[attachment=6315,138]

Randy and Jason: I'm excited that other Rowan alums are writing in regarding your upcoming show. I'm a 2009 graduate of Rowan who also lives within 5min. of the school as well, and I plan on attending that evening.
-
You mentioned our mighty mascot, The Prof. The mascot's name originally stood for "The Professors," as Rowan University, formerly Glassboro State College, was once primarily a college for educators. The original mascot was a studious looking owl with a monocle and a graduation cap.
-
A few years ago the university invested in a new mascot uniform, which you may see in a photo below (that's me in the costume!). The Prof is now a bit more intimidating, with imposing eyebrows and an athletic build. And I, sirs, donned that costume during my time at Rowan University.
-
It's not an easy thing being a college mascot - limited visibility, soaring temperatures, attacks by drunk fans, and a need to constantly replenish one's repetoire with new dance moves are all challenges that a mascot faces. However, the greatest challenge I ever faced as The Prof was a little thing called mascot basketball.
-
I was invited, as Rowan's Prof, to attend a Philadelphia 76ers game during my college tenure. Several mascots from area university teams and professional and minor league teams were there to celebrate the birthday of the 76ers' mascot, Hip Hop. It was a strange evening spent in a green room with other people who have chosen, as their life's work or a hobby, to don giant cartoonish heads and dance for strangers. Myself and the other mascots made several appearances on the court during the game. Having received little instruction, we mostly ran around and danced, but I made of a point of always being the last off of the court, so maybe I'd get the chance to get a little game time.
-
Well, my game time finally game, gentlemen, during a half-time show known as Mascot Basketball. The other mascots and I were told to choose teams and play a game. My immediate fear was that I would somehow fall and faceplant on the court, thus becoming an immortal portion of ESPN's Blooper Reel forever. I escaped that fate, though I will admit my performance was certainly lackluster. The mascots that had real hands, sneakers and fitted clothes shared the advantage, whereas folks like myself, with giant character heads, large cushioned shoes, and furry, four-fingered hands didn't stand much of a chance.
-
My favorite portion of the game was a pretzel mascot who was there representing a local business. In the green room, all of us other mascots had taken off our "heads" in order to talk and drink water. The pretzel, however, never did this. He or she stood under 5 feet in height, and had no arms on the costume. The pretzel person never once undressed or spoke to any of us the entire evening, and was clearly unable to offer any support in the game, so we spent that time running circles around the pretzel, taunting it, spinning it around, and laughing.
-
I'll still never know who was in that pretzel and if my actions will come back to haunt me, but I can at least selfishly admit that I made it through a 76ers mascot basketball game without being the laughing stock of the evening... Oh, and then I eventually earned a college degree or whatever.
-
See you at Rowan! Go Profs!

[attachment=6315,138]

Generally, I am always excited to hear mention of my city of Richmond, Virginia on any of my favorite podcasts. This time, I had to hang my head at the repeated mentions of our shame, The Richmond "International" Racetrack (or RIR, as it is colloquially known). I hope to send a message that will hit you both in the Sklartstrings: please, keep that hideous place out of the Richmond history books. I don't think my pride in this city could withstand the anguish of that blight becoming a beacon for news of the capitol of this fair Commonwealth. You can even talk about Gwar if you prefer.
Richmondly,
Devin

Generally, I am always excited to hear mention of my city of Richmond, Virginia on any of my favorite podcasts. This time, I had to hang my head at the repeated mentions of our shame, The Richmond "International" Racetrack (or RIR, as it is colloquially known). I hope to send a message that will hit you both in the Sklartstrings: please, keep that hideous place out of the Richmond history books. I don't think my pride in this city could withstand the anguish of that blight becoming a beacon for news of the capitol of this fair Commonwealth. You can even talk about Gwar if you prefer.
Richmondly,
Devin

@Kelly... You can contact Earwolf shows through the contact page at http://www.earwolf.com/contact/ The other way is just to email the Sklarbro Country podcast directly at SklarbroCountry@Earwolf.com

@Kelly... You can contact Earwolf shows through the contact page at http://www.earwolf.com/contact/ The other way is just to email the Sklarbro Country podcast directly at SklarbroCountry@Earwolf.com

@Julia- those are some good stories.

In regards to this week's ep: I'm not a sports fan but I was getting into the whole discussion with Pollak. Good stuff.

@Julia- those are some good stories.

In regards to this week's ep: I'm not a sports fan but I was getting into the whole discussion with Pollak. Good stuff.

I am so stoked to have gotten a Sklarbro Country tshirt in the mail for my birthday sent from my brother,, best present ever. I discovered Held Up and Back on Topps while drunkenly surfing the internet last night, and I watched every episode of both shows, both of them absolutely hilarious and I highly recommend them. You can watch BOT on youtube and Held Up on crackle. Looking forward to the new cd, but I still would kill to see the brothers live I live in San Diego, I know they live in LA, so they ever do shows there or anywhere in SoCal I would go at the drop of a hat

I am so stoked to have gotten a Sklarbro Country tshirt in the mail for my birthday sent from my brother,, best present ever. I discovered Held Up and Back on Topps while drunkenly surfing the internet last night, and I watched every episode of both shows, both of them absolutely hilarious and I highly recommend them. You can watch BOT on youtube and Held Up on crackle. Looking forward to the new cd, but I still would kill to see the brothers live I live in San Diego, I know they live in LA, so they ever do shows there or anywhere in SoCal I would go at the drop of a hat

....... and I quote (as Sklarson): "Later on in the show, Sidney Moncrief will be farting in my mouth"

Uh, I think I just ruptured my spleen at the impossibility of that reference, in that voice.

Sklars, can you offer COBRA coverage to your listeners who are injured while laughing?

Pollak was fantastic, I'll be checking out his show for sure.

an aside: bring back Matt Braunger A.S.A.Possible (please get that B.O.Topps reference, someone)

....... and I quote (as Sklarson): "Later on in the show, Sidney Moncrief will be farting in my mouth"

Uh, I think I just ruptured my spleen at the impossibility of that reference, in that voice.

Sklars, can you offer COBRA coverage to your listeners who are injured while laughing?

Pollak was fantastic, I'll be checking out his show for sure.

an aside: bring back Matt Braunger A.S.A.Possible (please get that B.O.Topps reference, someone)

Sign in to follow this