🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
adidawha

Eve of Destruction (1991)

Who can forget the reign of action movie dominance by tap dancer Gregory Hines!

:D

Let me guess, her name is Eve?

• Like 1

Perhaps a film buff can educate me. There seems to be a lot of different film stock, production styles, etc. used in the late eighties, early nineties. For example, this movie looks like an episode of a 1980s action show, like the A-Team or Knight Rider.

During the same year, we have Terminator 2, which obviously set the visual standard for modern action movies. But even Point Break feels a lot more modern.

Obviously the sets and costume design play a role, too.

I feel like this screenwriter had a long history of failing to have an empathetic understanding of women's moods.

A guy gets his dick bit [maybe off?].

I always saw it as getting bit off. That scene is the only reason I remembered this movie existed.

• Like 1

Plot synopsis: A female scientist (Renee Soutendijk) creates a robotic version of herself, only to have it malfunction during a trial run. Emotionally out of control, the sexy android begins to indulge its creator's secret inner desires. With no other option available (as far as you know), a terrorist hunter (Gregory Hines) is hired to deactivate the android. Oh, and did we mention that it's a walking, talking nuclear bomb that's about to explode? Because it is.

Biggest reason it's bad: There are many, most of them tied to the fact that it's an unabashed Terminator ripoff that tries to go sexy by making the killing machine a woman, but the terrible performance du jour belongs to Soutendijk, who - left-handed compliment alert! - is definitely well-suited to play robotic and is a master of bulging her eyes out to distinguish when she's playing the android rather than the scientist.

Biggest reason it's worth watching: Gregory Hines, who - God love him - did his best to maintain the action-flick momentum he built with Running Scared. Honorable mention goes to Kurt Fuller, who's always great when he's in full weasel mode.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sARb0uQvpI

Sign in to follow this