🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Baracuda420

I'm new to the podcast and have a few questions, what should I know?

Hello everyone. I'm listening to Hollywood Handbook for the first time and I'm a little lost, as is common when jumping into a new podcast, bust this show seems more confusing that what I'm used to listening to. I was hoping a more avid listener could give me a little info about it the show. The Earwolf show page doesn't give me much info. It has a fake synopsis about giving tips about Hollywood? I basically, would like a "real" synopsis if anyone could provide it. I've heard the guys a couple times on other shows like Comedy Bang Bang! and Doughboys and am now giving a listen to their podcast. I'm confused. Are they doing characters? Is there background information I should know? I get that these guys improvise stories and conversations, but I don't get it. Is it supposed to be funny? Is there a particular episode that is great, or that I should start with? I just want to know why people enjoy the podcast. Maybe I'm missing something that would help me appreciate it. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Like 4

This show is literal nonsense

-Sean Clements

• Like 6

The through lines go all the way back to the beginning, give numero uno a whirl and see how it feels, what made me a regular listener was the Aubrey Plaza episode

• Like 2

Are they doing characters?

Yes, and all the forum regulars are doing characters too.

Is it supposed to be funny?

Yes.

Is there a particular episode that is great, or that I should start with?

Some of my favorite bits are "Teen Pope" with Brian Huskey (episode #14), Erin Whitehead's documentary about Monsanto and Murder She Wrote (#89), the "We Are Your Friends" Teaser Freezer (#97), the "Who Charted"-style countdown with Kulap of the top 5 Earwolf podcasts that haven't invited Sean & Hayes (#113), and those are just the ones that come to mind right now. I started listening after Sean and Hayes's first Comedy Bang Bang appearance and now it's my absolute favorite.

If you still don't like it after listening some more, you'll need to listen to all the past "Ehh...Wrong!" segments so you can understand how wrong you are.

• Like 6

Yeah they're doing characters! They started off as parodying self-important industry people they'd encounter in LA. Over the years the premise has really softened, and they can play anything from the old self-important personas, to just silly dumb guys, to really whatever they feel like based on the conversation.

Sean and Hayes met IRL writing for a show, and sort of started a podcast because they liked working together and to stay in touch, so even back in the Reality Show Show days so much of it was to make the other guy laugh since they wanted to hang out regularly. That's the main throughline, two really smart funny guys trying to crack each other up and have a nice time. Its a real privilege that I've been there in the recording studio each session also, laughin it up and givin the thumbs up with each syllable.

My fave older ep is Dave Thomas. Nicole Byer is great. There is also their produced best-of, Moments of Greatness ep 84, and a fan produced UNOFFICIAL BOOTLEG 2016 Best Of that covers some of their amazing recent stuff

• Like 7

i'm really disappointed in the serious answers to this post.

• Like 5

i'm really disappointed in the serious answers to this post.

It's absolutely infuriating. I started to reply to this obvious troll yesterday and thought, eh one of my bros will come along and flush this this guy out better than me. Maybe make a poster of him eating garbage or getting beat up by kids or something. When I finally get done with my shift squeegeeing fitting rooms at the buckle and check back only to find some paid protestors taking this place over. I mean. Cisco, baby. What happened? You know you can just slack me and I'll pay your discover card.

This is obviously just some intern from the av club who got assigned the task of preparing a synopsis of the worlds best podcasts. This lazy millennial came here knowing some sweeties would bail their pale spankable butts out yet again and just write it for them. I for one will not allow my Netscape homepage to get overrun by corporate greed and suggestive imagery of derrières, again. Give me back my kiddo! Give me back my horsey! Cooley I don't know you very well, but I'd like to think you're vaccinated and would take you under my roof as well.

• Like 4

My bad uri, what I meant to say was, EH WRONG! THIS IS A GOOD SHOW and the hosts and guests are funny and smart, even the time when Pauly Shore called Sean a homo, HE WAS BEING FUNNY AND GOOD. THIS IS A NICE SHOW

• Like 5

My bad uri, what I meant to say was, EH WRONG! THIS IS A GOOD SHOW and the hosts and guests are funny and smart, even the time when Pauly Shore called Sean a homo, HE WAS BEING FUNNY AND GOOD. THIS IS A NICE SHOW

I would suggest a certain pot smoking fish take this very informative and accurate blurb, shove it in the nearest pneumatic tube, and send it right to the head editors desk, marked FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE.

• Like 2

sinbad, dave thomas. jessica mckenna. whitmer thomas/clay tatum. pauly shore.

• Like 4

Did you see this stoned fish's splitsider article? I'll never doubt you again uri

• Like 2

Did you see this stoned fish's splitsider article? I'll never doubt you again uri

I'm here for you kiddo.

• Like 2

Hollywood Handblook is a freeform improv show. In the first segment a story is started by one host that is co-created with the other. They then discuss show business and who the guest will be. In the second segment another story is co-created that the guest is free to jump in on and start improvising. Some guests open up and crush it (goat Julie Klausner) and some guests close up and it can be quite uncomfortable (see the disappointing DOUGHBOYS Mike Mitchell). The format started out very bit heavy and a lot of production was put into the show. Now it feels like Sean and Hayes are just going through the motions and doing the show for themselves. The show would work a lot better if the guests were told that this is an improv show based on their experiences. Anyone can steer the ship but everyone must shovel coal.

• Like 5

Sign in to follow this